Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #4021
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjsport View Post
What kind of deal did you get? The improvements are small but they lost 5 pounds. It says they are 245lbs now! So that's a plus IMO. Removing those heavy mirrors will make it lose a pound and installing a Shorai will lose another 3 lbs. Plus installing a new FMF pipe will shed another 3lbs or so. So I'm thinking its possible to get this guy in the high 230's dry. That would be great. Let's just hope the handling reflects it.
I think it was 10.7ish including a couple hundred in dmv fee's. I paid setup and crap because, well, I can and dealers aren't making much lately. Found one for 9.8 out the door, but it was 2 hours further each way.

Everything will be waiting for it from shorai to tank to megabomb system, seat, damper...no waiting on this bike, everything at once.

I've ridden one before and know it will feel plenty light compared to my 530 and 690 so not concerned about a 14 and it's claimed weight, but nice to know they are on their way, hopefully.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #4022
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
I think it was 10.7ish including a couple hundred in dmv fee's. I paid setup and crap because, well, I can and dealers aren't making much lately. Found one for 9.8 out the door, but it was 2 hours further each way.

Everything will be waiting for it from shorai to tank to megabomb system, seat, damper...no waiting on this bike, everything at once.

I've ridden one before and know it will feel plenty light compared to my 530 and 690 so not concerned about a 14 and it's claimed weight, but nice to know they are on their way, hopefully.
As long as your happy, that's all that matters. I'm sure it will handle great.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #4023
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
The dealers in California that I've talked to say they haven't even placed 2013 orders yet. And as the bikes come from Europe by boat, and were just announced last week... I think June is for Europe. I'd love to be wrong but June just seems really unlikely for California at least...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Well they are having demo rides next month in June here in the US. (Where you can also buy them I believe). So I'm hoping they will be here.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #4024
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
What kind of deal did you get?
$9400 out the door.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #4025
vintageveloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Well they are having demo rides next month in June here in the US. (Where you can also buy them I believe). So I'm hoping they will be here.
Where are these demo rides? How can I sign up?
Carl
vintageveloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #4026
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
cush hub rim for sale

All the talk of cush hubs recently so this may be of interest. Got a complete KTM 640 DID rim w/cush hub ready to bolt on for sale here if anybody is looking for one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post21474321
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #4027
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
**change of plan**

Going to change the tyres to street tires and build myself a Sumo set down the line.

46tooth and a pair of affordable street tires.

What do you guys reccomend?

Can I keep the heavy duty tube in their?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #4028
DirtToTar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Need Help...

I have a '12 500 exc and it has an intermittent stall/die problem. This isn't a flame out stall. It just stops running at any RPM or speed. It has happened at 65 mph in 6th on pavement and occurs about 2 times every 100 miles. When it stalls it typically will not restart unless I turn the key off and back on or push and release the kill button.

When it stalled at 65 mph I let it compression slow down to about 30 with no luck of it starting while rolling in gear. Before slowing to a stop I pushed the kill button. As soon as I released the button it fired back up. Same situation every time. It dies and won't start until I cycle the key or kill button. It seems like something in the electronics is reset when turning the power off and on.

I have replaced the key assembly and the kill switch. All smog has been removed. The fuel filters have been replaced. The bike runs great and never hesitates anywhere in the rpm range so I don't think it's fuel filter or injectors. I took it to KTM a couple weeks ago and it had a "crank position" error when hooked up to the computer. They cleared the error and recommended a new pulser coil. This was installed but did not help.

I do have the JD Tuner installed and will be removing it to rule it out. I'm somewhat at a loss not knowing how the JD Tuner or stock electronics work.

Any help would be much appreciated. The main symptom is bike intermittently dies while riding and will not restart unless power is cycled off and then on.
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #4029
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtToTar View Post
I have a '12 500 exc and it has an intermittent stall/die problem. This isn't a flame out stall. It just stops running at any RPM or speed.
IMO - This sounds like a fuel supply problem. Check your fuel filters first, then possibly move on to the fuel pump or have the injector cleaned.
Edit: Re-reading the entire post, I would suspect the fuel pump itself. There is no "crank position sensor" but the replacement of the pulsar coil is indeed what that error refers to.
I would probably start by closely inspecting all of the wiring connectors for burning, or arcing, and use some dielectric grease on them. There have been a few bikes that have miraculously "Self-Started" with nobody around, and I am sure that corroded connections can cause other issues as well. The '13 models were reported to come with rubber boots on some of the connectors that the '12's did not.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #4030
DirtToTar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I would suspect the fuel pump itself.
I would probably start by closely inspecting all of the wiring connectors for burning, or arcing, and use some dielectric grease on them.
Today I disconnected the JD Tuner but didn't ride it much due to poor weather. I'll have to put on about 100 miles to test it since it is intermittent.

I did check a few connectors and previously put dielectric grease on some such as the fuel pump connector at the rear of the tank.

Question on your suspecting the fuel pump. If the fuel pump had an issue causing pressure to go low and killing the bike shouldn't it restart by using the electric starter or does something reset when the key is cycled off and then on?

Thanks.
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #4031
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
I had a bike once with a very similar set of symptoms, except it had to cool off to restart. Turned out the pickup coil for the ignition was just a hair too far from the ignition rotor. It worked fine until it got hot, and then the gap got too large. Took the Yamaha dealer a long time to figure that one out.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #4032
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Question on your suspecting the fuel pump. If the fuel pump had an issue causing pressure to go low and killing the bike shouldn't it restart by using the electric starter or does something reset when the key is cycled off and then on?

Thanks.
Yes. Re-cycling the ignition might indicate that the pump pressure is low, or that the pump just stopped, and needed a re-boot to get going again.
There is an aftermarket supplier for pumps,..somewhere.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #4033
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
I have a '12 500 exc and it has an intermittent stall/die problem. This isn't a flame out stall. It just stops running at any RPM or speed. It has happened at 65 mph in 6th on pavement and occurs about 2 times every 100 miles. When it stalls it typically will not restart unless I turn the key off and back on or push and release the kill button.

When it stalled at 65 mph I let it compression slow down to about 30 with no luck of it starting while rolling in gear. Before slowing to a stop I pushed the kill button. As soon as I released the button it fired back up. Same situation every time. It dies and won't start until I cycle the key or kill button. It seems like something in the electronics is reset when turning the power off and on.

I have replaced the key assembly and the kill switch. All smog has been removed. The fuel filters have been replaced. The bike runs great and never hesitates anywhere in the rpm range so I don't think it's fuel filter or injectors. I took it to KTM a couple weeks ago and it had a "crank position" error when hooked up to the computer. They cleared the error and recommended a new pulser coil. This was installed but did not help.

I do have the JD Tuner installed and will be removing it to rule it out. I'm somewhat at a loss not knowing how the JD Tuner or stock electronics work.

Any help would be much appreciated. The main symptom is bike intermittently dies while riding and will not restart unless power is cycled off and then on.
does sound like fuel, but its strange that you cycle things and it starts
have a look at fuel pump relay -check for corrsion in connector -and tap on it gently with bike running -also -I recall someone had a bike cranking over while parked in garage -found corosion in harness plug behind headlight -I supposed you could too and possible opposite effect
these bikes have a roll over sensor -never say problem on one yet- but some street bikes have them and cause owners fits to find problem cutting out. I think the rollover sensor is under the ECU -maybe tap around it and look at plug for any corosion- just a few ideas
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #4034
mwjp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question Front brake cylinder banjo bolt torque?

Hi,
I need to replace the copper washers on the front brake hand cylinder banjo bolt (leaking after a crash). I can't find the torque setting for the banjo bolt in the manual. Does anyone know the correct torque?
mwjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #4035
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,905
if it snaps its to high if it doesnt leak your good.