Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #4066
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Here you go!

I see you have the HDB handguards and top clamp, why didn't you get the mirrors as well instead of the these that fold in front of the speedo? Just curious.

Never mind, I see that you do have them after looking closer at the picture.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #4067
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I see you have the HDB handguards and top clamp, why didn't you get the mirrors as well instead of the these that fold in front of the speedo? Just curious.

Never mind, I see that you do have them after looking closer at the picture.
OK, well, I will ask. Why 2 sets of mirrors?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #4068
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
I am replacing the stock speedo unit with a trailtech vapor and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. I had a couple of questions:

- has anyone figured out the Pulses per revolution setting? I cannot find any definitive information on this anywhere so just wondering what the pundits here may know

-secondly there seems to be a power source in the plug for the old computer. Does anyone know which wire it is? I would like to tap into that to power the new computer. If there is a power lead maybe there is a ground too?

Any helps on these would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
ON MY 530
I think it is 0.5 ppr. I found it was best to connect wire to the coil and not use the 'wrap around the plug wire' method to get the pulses. I always had issues with correct tach reading regardless of what i tried, (various numbers of wraps, electric tape to hold the wraps tight etc.).

POWER
I am not sure but I think the stock unit power is off when the ignition switch is off, which would cause the internal battery to drain a little faster. Go straight from the battery to power the Vapor, it draws next to no juice when sitting off.

I have had 3 of these units and really like them. 1 on the 530 and 2 different ones on my now gone DR650.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #4069
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
OK, well, I will ask. Why 2 sets of mirrors?
Want's to see both elbows .
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #4070
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Has any one seen or used this?

Was cruisin thru ebay and came across this ctrl unit. Just wondering if any one has used or seen it.
For some of the people with realstate issues on the lt bar side it might help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380647871260...84.m1423.l2649
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #4071
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
Was cruisin thru ebay and came across this ctrl unit. Just wondering if any one has used or seen it.
For some of the people with realstate issues on the lt bar side it might help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380647871260...84.m1423.l2649
I have that very same switch on my '13 XC-W 500. It's on the throttle side and is used for my E-start/kill switch. I got it from Sicass Racing
although not as cheap as on ebay. My bike is street legal and didn't have rooom on left side for the kill button.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #4072
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
I have that very same switch on my '13 XC-W 500. It's on the throttle side and is used for my E-start/kill switch. I got it from Sicass Racing
although not as cheap as on ebay. My bike is street legal and didn't have rooom on left side for the kill button.

No not the on/off switch the multi switch next to it, with blinker horn and light on/off.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #4073
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
ON MY 530
I think it is 0.5 ppr. I found it was best to connect wire to the coil and not use the 'wrap around the plug wire' method to get the pulses. I always had issues with correct tach reading regardless of what i tried, (various numbers of wraps, electric tape to hold the wraps tight etc.).
Hmmm thats not what I was hoping you would say. That would make the RPM reading even lower. It already feels like its low so I was thinking it needed to be 2 if anything. Don't understand why I can't find ANY information on this anywhere. Is it something that could be in the shop manual?

I did connect it up directly to the coil - that was just the easiest way to go I thought.

There has to be an official answer somewhere to this...?
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #4074
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmm thats not what I was hoping you would say. That would make the RPM reading even lower. It already feels like its low so I was thinking it needed to be 2 if anything. Don't understand why I can't find ANY information on this anywhere. Is it something that could be in the shop manual?

I did connect it up directly to the coil - that was just the easiest way to go I thought.

There has to be an official answer somewhere to this...?
I dont thinks its in the manual. Try all three settings and see what happens. Call TT and ask them, they may know for sure. Make sure your black wire is to the frame/good ground connection. Make sure you don't plug those in incorrectly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #4075
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Call TT and ask them, they may know for sure. Make sure your black wire is to the frame/good ground connection. Make sure you don't plug those in incorrectly.
Who is TT?

Everything is wired correctly. The RPMs are working I just want to make sure I have the setting correct. It seems a little low but I am just going by gut and sound. Would like to have the correct setting to verify.

Thanks.
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #4076
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
Go with the Motoz Enduro I/T DOT or non DOT. Just my opinion but if you want a good Long lasting, tough tire that is just as predictable as the mx 51 you will like the Motoz. If there are any available. try brap.com and Phat performance. I usually buy 3 at a time cause they are limited to stock from Australia. I Just put 1400 miles on a brand new one thru mexico and still have 2/3rds left. Awsome tires but JMHO. I run the matching tire on the frt ( which is also very good)but actually liked the Motoz x circuit tire up front better. And they are DOT.

frt tire
I threw a set of the S/Ts on my 525. The front is working awesome as the lugs are big and don't shred off which is a problem for me. It's tracking as well as any of the Pirelli Scorpions I ever used and holding up very well. The rear is holding up surprisingly well also, despite being the soft terrain tire. The traction is similar to my favorite rear tire (Michelin S12) but not as predictable in a power-on slide. The MotoZ tends to dig in off the shoulder and try to stand the bike up a bit when I'm really hammering it. But for being DOT I can live with it on my EXC.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #4077
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Who is TT?

Everything is wired correctly. The RPMs are working I just want to make sure I have the setting correct. It seems a little low but I am just going by gut and sound. Would like to have the correct setting to verify.

Thanks.
TT = TrailTech. Try 1 ppr, I just looked at the one on my 530 and it is set at 1 ppr. This means every time the piston rises the coil fires. What reading are you getting on the tach that makes you feel it is wrong? Try adjusting the idle speed to see if it changes. It probably won't idle below 1200rpm so if you are getting a reading lower than that the setting is probably wrong.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #4078
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
TPS voltage tester plug

Got a couple PM's asking about the TPS tester pigtail I utilized for testing the TPS voltage.

Here is the actual part. You simply unplug the wire that plugs directly into the TPS sensor. One end plugs into the sensor the other end into the wire you removed from the sensor. The two remaining pigtail wires are where you push the probes on your voltage tester.

Its a Suzuki part and here is the prodict code on the package.

A wonderful easy piece to utilize and no need to fashion your own 5v tester with resistors etc. KTM should really sell a part like this as my TPS voltage was set at .590 volts from the factory instead of .601. This is my first FI dirt bike and if you read earlier posts of mine I was unimpressed with the throttle response, which is one of the main advantages of FI. Changing it was a noticeable improvement in throttle response. Much like adjusting your accelerator pump on an FCR carb. Shame the factory techs don't spend an extra couple minutes getting the voltage set correctly as when set just a little bit off it tarnishes the response of the FI.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #4079
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Who is TT?

Thanks.
I have the trail tech voyager with the sensor wire wrapped around the spark wire and electrical taped in place. I had mine set to 1 but it wasn't correct. I set it to .5 and it seems correct.

Anyone with a Voyager finding that the elevation goes to negative numbers? I really dont think I am riding below sea level kind of fishing for an answer before I contact Trail Tech and have them tell me to send it in or ignore my email like when I asked them if there was a way to set my mileage and hours to actual seeing how I put it on after the bike had been run.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #4080
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Aftermarket Fork Oil

What brand and weight fork oil are people using when they service the forks.

The manual recommends SAE4. Looking for an equivalent aftermarket brand.
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote