Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #4096
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Anybody have any radiator guards they like? I put the new ktm hard parts guards on and bent them and the radiator on the first wreck.

Many have mentioned the BPD guards and they are indeed very strong for side impact crashes.

I just put on the SRT guards which are a blatant copy of the BPD's at a slightly cheaper price. I went with the SRT's over the BPD as I was hoping the holes on the SRT guards VS the slots of the BPD would better protect me from bamboo spearing into the radiator.

However on inspection not sure if there is a definitive advantage of one versus the other.

Here's a 16 penny nail for size reference.

I'm hoping the holes leave less opportunity for the branches versus the slots of the BPD. Time will tell.

One thing disappoints me is there is no radiator tab protection (where the rad shroud bolts onto) and this is the first thing to bend in a tipover. The BPD has some tab protection but not enough IMHO.

SRT products: http://www.srtoffroad.com/catalog/radiator-guards

They're local in So-Cal and support a lot of the racers and Enduro clubs in the area so thought well of them.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #4097
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

TPS settings

Got an email asking how to adjust the TPS on the bike with the pigtail referenced in the earlier post with the Suzuki part.

Basically you take this part:

And disconnect the TPS on your bike. The TPS is what the nail is pointing at. It's a waterproof cover so uncover the the TPS and disconnect the quick disconnect sensor. Once the quick disconnect is unplugged, install the Suzuki part in between the two OEM connectors your just pulled apart.

Man I need E-Ticket to do this as he has tons of great pics.

Once the Suzuki part is installed, there will be two remaining pigtails not plugged in anywhere. These two pigtails are where you will plug in your voltage tester. I don't have it here to show you as I borrowed mine from a friend since I'm in USA now instead of my home in Thailand.

Once you have your voltage tester probes inserted into the pigtails, turn on your voltage reader to a reading that will let you monitor volts under 1. Then turn on your ignition and your flip your switch (if you're on an EXC) to prime the fuel pump. The voltage tester will then kick out a reading. Mine was .590, ideally we want .601 . To adjust the voltage there is a small Torx screw you'll see at on the left side of the TPS. Unscew that screw enough so that you can then move the TPS clockwise and counterclockwise with some drag. It won't move hardly at all, just bumping the sensor once the Torx is loose will adjust the readings. Monitor your voltage reader and move it about and you'll see how little movement is actually needed to change the voltage.

The difficult part is getting it to read . 601 after the Torx screw is tightened back down . In my use I would get it set to around .629 and tighten the screw down, by the time the Torx was screwed down the voltage reading would drop. Sometimes to .593-598 other times to .608-.618 So its a long winded trial and error process; loosen the Torx, adjust TPS, tighten Torx, see if reading is where you need and repeat. It took me about 20 minutes of unscrew, adjust, read voltage tester, and repeat over and over until you get the right reading once the Torx screw on the TPS is tightened down.

Sorry no lovely pics to document what I'm doing but it really is not complicated. Tools needed will be the Suzuki part number in the earlier post, voltage tester. Torx tool and some patience.

best of luck.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #4098
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Really appreciate this info! I saw your post and purchased the Suzuki part. Going to set mine this weekend. Will tale some pics and upload.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #4099
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
I have the Scorpion (now Emperor) Racing radiator guards and they are really stout.

I like how those protect the bottom corners of the radiator. Do the work with the fan?
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #4100
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Anyone found a carbon guard for an fmf megabomb header? I've seen one from a company in the UK that's just for the bomb section, but nothing for the full header on a 500, only 350.
My buddy had the P3 carbon guard on his 350 EXC. Twice he wrecked and the mounting bolt put a hole in his pipe. Not sure I'm sold on those yet, maybe use heat tape.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #4101
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
I like how those protect the bottom corners of the radiator. Do the work with the fan?
Yes. No fitment issues what so ever. I didnt have to remove the radiators or drain the system. If I had to complain about something it would be the shroud screw holes dont have inserts so the threads are done but I will do some inserts.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #4102
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
Really appreciate this info! I saw your post and purchased the Suzuki part. Going to set mine this weekend. Will tale some pics and upload.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Where did you purchase the part from? Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #4103
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
.5 on my 350 exc-F
Yes I think this is correct. I fiddled with the vapor a bit more today and after riding and getting a sense of the RPM I believe .5 to be the correct setting for the 500 as well.

Thanks!

fasteddie23 screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 08:36 PM
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #4104
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
TPS tester

Thx for the info FTB
I've ordered one too

The 500 xcw doesn't have an ignition key so any suggestions on how to power up the circuit without the motor running ?
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #4105
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Thx for the info FTB
I've ordered one too

The 500 xcw doesn't have an ignition key so any suggestions on how to power up the circuit without the motor running ?
I've only seen an EXC but I'm guessing on the XC-W is there a switch you toggle on before hitting the starter button. On the EXC its the opposite throw of the kill switch rocker, you will hear the fuel pump prime for a second. If you only have a start button and separate kill button I'm not sure how you would do it without starting the motor.

When the motor was running on my bike the voltage raised another 3 thousandths on my bike. Keep that in mind if adjusting the voltage with the motor off but the ignition on like on my EXC.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #4106
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp View Post
Where did you purchase the part from? Thanks
I found it at Bike Bandit and ordered it online. Bike Bandit would not let me link to the product so here is the part number

it's a Suzuki part and just search on the Bike Bandit site for it by the part number.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #4107
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 795
Did a couple trackdays with the 500...

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #4108
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the color of the header pipe..............you have been treating it quite well!
Duane1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #4109
RockabillyBob
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post

Nice, really nice.

What is that black cover that you have on the cluch cover?
RockabillyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #4110
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 795
Tj

I will have to check the ever increasing receipt folder, but I think I got it from a dude named "Trailjammer".

Appreciate the appreciation. Gotta switch back to the dirt wheels, got the CF ride up in Loudon, NH this Sunday,