Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #4156
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I called best dual sports about the magic mod and they agreed that if I had the XCW module with the euro map installed that the magic mod would make me way too rich. I also have a hesitation when giving gas at idle and popping on decel. Going to adjust TPS and see what happens.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #4157
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
I called best dual sports about the magic mod and they agreed that if I had the XCW module with the euro map installed that the magic mod would make me way too rich. I also have a hesitation when giving gas at idle and popping on decel. Going to adjust TPS and see what happens.

Thank You! That is very good to know. My 350 supposedly has the EU map loaded, and it starts and runs great. I was wondering if the Magic Mod would make it run even better. I guess not! There is no way I would want to re-load the original map, and then go the Magic Mod route.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #4158
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Thank You! That is very good to know. My 350 supposedly has the EU map loaded, and it starts and runs great. I was wondering if the Magic Mod would make it run even better. I guess not! There is no way I would want to re-load the original map, and then go the Magic Mod route.

There is a disclaimer on BDS website saying the Magic Mod will not work with bikes that have the EURO MAP program loaded.
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #4159
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Well I finally had the time to adjust my TPS using the new Suzuki part to measure inline without needing to create a power supply. The process was very straight forward and I am glad I have the cable now for helping fellow riders and future adjustments. Because my Torx drivers were a bit long I actually removed the tank to access the hold down screw on the TPS. I am sure you could reach it with a socket type or small L shaped Torx wrench but I did not have those handy. As mentioned before this bike is super easy to work on and has great engineering. I actually enjoyed the process and had fun seeing the inner workings hidden by the tank. I took a bunch of pics for reference and will share them below. My TPS read .58 at the factory setting and I bumped it to .611 without much trouble. Before my bike would backfire on decel and stumble when stabbing the throttle from dead idle. After putting the bike back together I fired it up and let it warm up a bit. The stumble off idle was greatly reduced and almost disappeared after riding a bit. The popping on decel was almost completely eliminated and now is more of a burble with almost no popping. Throttle response seems better. I am a happy camper and so thankful for the great info on this thread.

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar

DiVango screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 04:46 PM
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #4160
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmichael View Post
Bought mine about month ago. Just rode again last night in the Cleveland National Forest which is right here in Orange County Ca. Im a relative noob to dirt riding. Im not a young man but I am youthful! Got my first dirt bike three yrs ago. After years of riding all the asphalt there is here in SoCal, i wanted to keep ridin when the asphalt ended. Ive honed my limited skills on a few old dirt bikes, mostly on a big ole DR650. Most of my bros were ridin KTMs and i was working REAL hard. 12000 miles hard.
Most of my riding is true enduro. Lots of asphalt, some fwy, fire roads and some fairly tight single track. The KTM 500 exc kicks ass! Right out of the gate the guys at Three Bros in costa mesa hooked me up. Ive added plastic skid plate, pro bend hand guards and 14-48 sprockets. The power on tap with a twist of the wrist is phenomenal. The 15 hour oil changes are coming on quick!

The question I have is, eventhough the bike makes loads of power and i really dont require more(yet!). I have noticed that the bike does run pretty lean. Pops like crazy on decel, and the throttle application can be a bit snatchy at low speeds and small throttle openings. Id like to address these minor issues.
Im somewhat aware of the options, different ecu flashes, programers, and the bestdualsport throttle body mod. Which route is the best bang for the buck? On the desmog side. Is there an effective way to remove the air injection without any complications? Do I really need the evaporative cannister?
Any other tips or suggestions for improvements (the seat blows!) or ways to keep this bad ass machine in good working order?
How to desmog a KTM 500exc post #252 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=252

Then install the euro map. End of problems.

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 05:17 PM
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #4161
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmichael View Post
Any other tips or suggestions for improvements (the seat blows!) or ways to keep this bad ass machine in good working order?
Ride it. These bikes don't like to sit unused .

Took it up to GA for some orange earth last week.

Going out west (CO) next week and want to add a front fender bag for tubes. Never had to carry and extra in my life and am looking for suggestions? Also do they hold both front and back. If ya carry tubes how do ya do it? I know I can toss em in by pack but prefer other ways to gain wt ha.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #4162
spokenerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Going out west (CO) next week and want to add a front fender bag for tubes. Never had to carry and extra in my life and am looking for suggestions? Also do they hold both front and back. If ya carry tubes how do ya do it? I know I can toss em in by pack but prefer other ways to gain wt ha.
I'm using the Tusk: http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B0028S7MW6. It's got a tube + tire repair kit (I'm running tubeless), cinches nicely on the front fender and never moves. It does get in the way of the headlight a little, enough that I'd have to remove it if riding at night. So far I've made it in before dark ;)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #4163
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
I use the Wolfman fender bag and just carry 1 21" in it. I would definately suggest changing a tire with your hands if you haven't done so already so you know what tools work for you. I make space for a bead buddy and 2 tire irons in my larger pack. Motion pro makes a real nice (and somewhat spendy) combo for the tire iron/bead breaker. Otherwise a kickstand has worked for me to break the bead (Some are definately tougher to break than others). I also always, always carry a can of fix a flat with me know matter how light I am packing. It saved my ass once before in the middle of no where and isn't to heavy. Have fun!

Oh ya, I use Michelin Ultra heavy duty tubes in both the 21 and 18" size on my KTM. The are waaaaaaaay thicker than your stock everyday tubes. That way you can carry a light weight tube in your fender pack "just in case" and not worry so much about WHEN your flat will happen.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #4164
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Supermoto setup ...

Was looking at the bike today trying to decide what else it needs in general or for the supermoto setup. Came up with nothing, I think it's done.

Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #4165
hbmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Ride it!

Thats good advice! And trust me i am. Just hit 900 miles last night riding in the Cleveland National Forest.
I did however, stop by my local dealer to pick up my plates. Asked him about desmogging, valve checks and mapping. He offers a desmog kit, basically two bolts and copper washers for ten bucks. Also showed me what to do. Also suggested the euro map after the desmogging and offered me a pretty good deal to do it if he checks the valves. I bought the kit and it was pretty darn easy to remove the smog equipment. Seems this bike is very easy to work on. So after installing the kit, I took her out for a little putt putt in my local mountains. Popping be gone! Zero. None. And everything else seems to be in order. Bike ran bitchin, started right up, idled nicely without adjustment. Now that im close to 30 hrs i may take my dealer up on the valve adjustment and euro map.
Fuck i dig this bike!
hbmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #4166
Flynall
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Suzuki TPS measurement part info please..

Please share,

Sounds useful for us..

Thanks,
Roy
Flynall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #4167
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynall View Post
Please share,

Sounds useful for us..

Thanks,
Roy
Teamftb posted up details

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4106
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #4168
Flynall
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the pn for the TP Senser!

Just ordered it!

Roy
Flynall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #4169
Hukamosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
"Going out west (CO) next week and want to add a front fender bag for tubes. Never had to carry and extra in my life and am looking for suggestions? Also do they hold both front and back. If ya carry tubes how do ya do it? I know I can toss em in by pack but prefer other ways to gain wt ha.[/QUOTE]"

I use a front fender bag from "dirtbikegear" as it lies on the fender and straps to the forks & wont come off. Carry 21" tube/s because they will fit both the front & rear + a patch kit. I carry a small mountain bike pump & motion pro bead buddy & irons. You might consider small panniers for tubes, tools etc as it may possibly distribute the weight better.
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #4170
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynall View Post
Thanks for the pn for the TP Senser!

Just ordered it!

Roy
Same here - got the backordered notification though from Bike Bandit. Did you source it from somewhere else? Bike Bandit let me know that if they can't fulfill it within 30 days, the order will be cancelled.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote