User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #4201
mtbmitch
n00b

Oddometer: 9
14/51 gearing

I run 14/51 gearing on my 13 350 xcf-w here in Idaho. I first tried a 14 with the stock 52 rear and found that the bike just revved out to quick and did not pull in the lower gears, then tried a 50 and could not go slow enough in 1st for the tight stream and switch back stuff (trials back ground). The 51 is just right for me. I also run a dirt tricks cooling fan. Like the idea of extra air over the radiator in the tight stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leippra8 View Post
Has anyone tried 14/51 gearing?
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #4202
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm sure TuneECU will work just fine, once they figure out the programming end of things.
Anyone know if TuneECU is any further along to becoming a viable option for either the EXC or the XC-W?

I REALLY want to get the 500, but it sure is a big negative not having ability to modify ignition and fueling myself and having to rely on canned mapping only available from dealer.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #4203
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Anyone know if TuneECU is any further along to becoming a viable option for either the EXC or the XC-W?

I REALLY want to get the 500, but it sure is a big negative not having ability to modify ignition and fueling myself and having to rely on canned mapping only available from dealer.
The 'magic mod' from bestdualsportbikes works pretty well, and is cheap. With megabomb header and Q4 exhause the fueling is pretty close, but I haven't had it on a dyno.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #4204
charlie27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
what about

http://www.blaisracingservices.com/k...-exc/-xcw.html

I am using and really happy

Quote:

charlie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #4205
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie27 View Post
what about

http://www.blaisracingservices.com/k...-exc/-xcw.html

I am using and really happy
Spending a couple hundred bucks for a piggyback is a poor substitute for full control of ECU for free. But if a dumbed down piggyback is the only option, then I guess that is the only option.

Still hoping TuneECU eventually becomes viable. Sure would be a huge check in the plus column for purchasing a new 500EXC.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #4206
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Spending a couple hundred bucks for a piggyback is a poor substitute for full control of ECU for free. But if a dumbed down piggyback is the only option, then I guess that is the only option.

Still hoping TuneECU eventually becomes viable. Sure would be a huge check in the plus column for purchasing a new 500EXC.
Get a 530, can do whatever you want to them and be cheaper too. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #4207
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:

Have you ridden anyone's 500 with the unrestricted Euro map? They run fantastic. You can also monkey with the TPS voltage settings (documented in this thread) for a little better personalization. You're here in the SE where dealers will load the firmware for you, unlike some CA dealers that are concerned about it. I "only" have the 350 with the Euro map and typical desmog and the mapping is spot on. I am not going back to a carb after experiencing what good FI feels like. Besides, the '08 -'11 motors, while fine for 99% of us, would not hold up under extreme racing conditions, and that is why they didn't stick around like the RFS design did for so long. YMMV.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #4208
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:

Wilmar13 just keep in mind the JD tuner does not allow any changes to the ignition side of things in regards to tuning.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #4209
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Have you ridden anyone's 500 with the unrestricted Euro map? They run fantastic. You can also monkey with the TPS voltage settings (documented in this thread) for a little better personalization. You're here in the SE where dealers will load the firmware for you, unlike some CA dealers that are concerned about it. I "only" have the 350 with the Euro map and typical desmog and the mapping is spot on. I am not going back to a carb after experiencing what good FI feels like. Besides, the '08 -'11 motors, while fine for 99% of us, would not hold up under extreme racing conditions, and that is why they didn't stick around like the RFS design did for so long. YMMV.
A couple of questions, sir:

== Are you running the stock exhaust?
== If not, what brand/model are you using?
== Did you try the 350 XCF-W (US) FI map first?
== Have you notice any reduction in your gas mileage with the EU map?

Thanks! E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #4210
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
[QUOTE=SoilSampleDave;21750840]Have you ridden anyone's 500 with the unrestricted Euro map? They run fantastic. QUOTE]

You are correct! I have the Euro map & 3 position switch on mine, also desmogged, (incognito), & bike is amazing! Minor mods to muffler, don't think one would need any more since it runs so strong.
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #4211
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
A couple of questions, sir:

== Are you running the stock exhaust?
== If not, what brand/model are you using?
== Did you try the 350 XCF-W (US) FI map first?
== Have you notice any reduction in your gas mileage with the EU map?

Thanks! E-Ticket
Stock exhaust with the perforated restrictor removed.
Did not try the either the stock EXC-F map or the XCF-W (US); bike was set up by the dealer with the Euro map for me when I picked it up. Seat of the pants dyno, I felt my bike pulled better than the 350XCF-W demo bike I tried, but that bike had a lot of hard, hard miles on it.
DS riding, I get 45 - 53 MPG. That's mostly gravel FS roads with the throttle pinned out of the corner . Hard to say what it would get in the tight woods. With the 13L tank, I can go 100 miles and still know I have 40 or 50 miles to find gas. Around here, that's all the peace of mind I need.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4212
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Stock exhaust with the perforated restrictor removed.
Did not try the either the stock EXC-F map or the XCF-W (US); bike was set up by the dealer with the Euro map for me when I picked it up. Seat of the pants dyno, I felt my bike pulled better than the 350XCF-W demo bike I tried, but that bike had a lot of hard, hard miles on it.
DS riding, I get 45 - 53 MPG. That's mostly gravel FS roads with the throttle pinned out of the corner . Hard to say what it would get in the tight woods. With the 13L tank, I can go 100 miles and still know I have 40 or 50 miles to find gas. Around here, that's all the peace of mind I need.
I guess one more thought. I see where the perception is that the euro map might be richer than needed with the stock muffler, and you might lose a little power by having the A/F mixture richer than ideal. But, all other things being equal, an engine "jetted" richer is going to run a little cooler and in theory last a little longer. I'll take that.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #4213
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
EU Map + JD

Quote:
I guess one more thought. I see where the perception is that the euro map might be richer than needed with the stock muffler, and you might lose a little power by having the A/F mixture richer than ideal. But, all other things being equal, an engine "jetted" richer is going to run a little cooler and in theory last a little longer. I'll take that.

I run the unrestricted EU map with map switch. Definitely not too rich. Also run the JD tuner and had to richen all settings from standard to avoid flame outs and get engine to run as it should. Perfect now. Have standard exhaust with noise mesh removed.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #4214
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I just spent 3 days in the oregon desert with a desmogged cali bike. JD tuner, 14/48 and stock exhaust. I'm an ok rider and the bike is still waayyy better than me.
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4215
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
I bought a PMB kickstand and installed it this weekend. Looks sweet. It sure is close to the swingarm!

About jetting and mods.

I rode mine bone stock with all smog stuff on it. It is a 2013 500 EXC. Then I pulled off the smog stuff and rode it with the stock mapping. Then I rode it with the Euro map installed. Then I added a trail tech switch. Every step of the way, it got better. At some point the screen on the end of the silencer tried to fall off so I took it out.

The gearing is way too high stock. I am running 14:50 and it seems about right for dual sport. I have a 13 to try for trails.

It was lean at first in stock form. Now it is fantastic. I just did a 1330 mile dual sport ride in Nevada where we climbed over a ton of 9000 foot passes. The bike performed flawlessly. I did not even have to add oil. Most of the time I was running in the Mild setting to try to save fuel.

I am having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to do all this JD jet stuff or change the exhaust. It is great the way it is. More power than is needed. Always more left for when I need a little extra. Lugs down super low.

I still have not had this flameout issue I keep reading about. Maybe it will come up when I am trying to do more tight singletrack. I am wondering if people are trying to idle the engine too low. It is supposed to idle pretty fast.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote