Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #4381
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Are you checking your valves with the rocker arm bolts tight or loose? s
There should be a video of this on youtube. Actually, I'm positive there is a vid on there, check my channel on YouTube: hunt4steve

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #4382
soutahduner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So after 3 valve checks the intakes are sitting right at .10 mm and the exhaust valves were factory set at .102 mm. My book says .12mm is min on exhaust clearance. My question to you long time users ....were yours set like this also? Did the factory factor in .015 of initial wear room on purpose or should this be shimmed a little smaller for more clearance?

BTW I put a JD X03 enrichener in mine and it made the whole engine range perform better and it runs a lot cooler.
Mine were at .13 on the exhaust after 40 hrs. I would adjust it within spec. I prefer to set valves on the loose end of spec.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
soutahduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #4383
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
BTW I put a JD X03 enrichener in mine and it made the whole engine range perform better and it runs a lot cooler.

Sounds good.....

Where would we find one of these ?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #4384
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
There should be a video of this on youtube. Actually, I'm positive there is a vid on there, check my channel on YouTube: hunt4steve

So WHY are you loosening the rockers up????? I thought you were doing that to put in a shim. Of course you will get valve clearance if you loosen up rocker arms it seems. The engine never runs with loose rockers(we hope). Guess it is time to stop watching You Tube and see the techs down at Enduro Engineering for the real scoop.Anyone on here REALLY a KTM tech?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #4385
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfourate View Post
Sounds good.....

Where would we find one of these ?

JD Jetting, www.jdjetting.com

Jdjetting LLC
PO Box 6044
Federal Way ,WA USA 98002-6044

It is called a Power Surge 6X, #KTX03 About $224 Not fun to put on but really works great.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #4386
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
It wouldn't matter. The rocker rides on a shaft. Tighten it or loosen it all you want you're not going to change its tolerance unless its worn under the rocker and you manage to move it to a section that is not worn. Get a service manual already, its all described in great detail... with pictures.

JD Tuner is 2 plugs and a ground screw, how is that not fun?
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #4387
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
It wouldn't matter. The rocker rides on a shaft. Tighten it or loosen it all you want you're not going to change its tolerance unless its worn under the rocker and you manage to move it to a section that is not worn. Get a service manual already, its all described in great detail... with pictures.

JD Tuner is 2 plugs and a ground screw, how is that not fun?

Yes, that is what I thought that it would make no difference and is not the way the engine ever runs anyway so why loosen it. I have the manual that came with the bike. It comes with no engine info other than specs. I had hoped that I could just get 1 straight answer on here. Guess not so I will go to EE Monday.

The JD tuner has to connect to the electrical plug off the top of the FI unit. It is a real bear to get off and then to put the tuner plug back on. There is just no room for your hands/fingers in there. Time consuming, but well worth it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #4388
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Service manual not owners manual. I think it was like $7 on CD. So what answer are you looking for that wasn't straight? Knock the valve cover off, set TDC (mark on cam gear lined with head mark), check clearances, cold engine.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #4389
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Service manual not owners manual. I think it was like $7 on CD. So what answer are you looking for that wasn't straight? Knock the valve cover off, set TDC (mark on cam gear lined with head mark), check clearances, cold engine.
The answer I was looking for was in response to the valves being set "tight" on the exhaust side from the factory. Is this normal? Or did the factory boys screw up? Or is there a plan to have the shim wear that much? I wanted others experiences with theirs. Thanks Dirty in all... If it needs a smaller shim I know how to do that but just can't believe they made a mistake (like maybe using the intake shim in all 4 valves).
Old 08-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #4390
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
JD Jetting, www.jdjetting.com

Jdjetting LLC
PO Box 6044
Federal Way ,WA USA 98002-6044

It is called a Power Surge 6X, #KTX03 About $224 Not fun to put on but really works great.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #4391
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
The answer I was looking for was in response to the valves being set "tight" on the exhaust side from the factory. Is this normal? Or did the factory boys screw up? Or is there a plan to have the shim wear that much? I wanted others experiences with theirs. Thanks Dirty in all... If it needs a smaller shim I know how to do that but just can't believe they made a mistake (like maybe using the intake shim in all 4 valves).
The shims essentially don't wear. The wear is on the valve seats/valve itself. Valves get tighter, not looser over time. Check it again or have someone else double check it for you. If it really is that tight, you need to re-shim to a correct clearance and check it often after that to see if it was a factory goof or it is wearing that fast. It shouldn't be wearing that fast.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #4392
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
The shims essentially don't wear. The wear is on the valve seats/valve itself. Valves get tighter, not looser over time. Check it again or have someone else double check it for you. If it really is that tight, you need to re-shim to a correct clearance and check it often after that to see if it was a factory goof or it is wearing that fast. It shouldn't be wearing that fast.
Oops, just noticed that your are on your third valve check, so maybe that much wear is normal. How many hours?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #4393
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Oops, just noticed that your are on your third valve check, so maybe that much wear is normal. How many hours?

checks at 2 ,15 and 60 hrs..... Has always been the same. Bike runs like a top.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #4394
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 250
some new entertainment

here's the video/movie from my motorcycle trip to the mountains back in may. a little lengthy but worth every second. enjoy! oh yeah it's meant to be entertaining so don't expect all engine noise but there is some and also commentary.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #4395
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 89
^^^ Kick ass!
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote