Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #4816
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I know I've seen this covered in the thread before, but my searching is coming up empty. I'm trying to figure out what extras come with the bike. I know it should come with the desmog kit, a small tool bag w/ tools and caps and plugs for when removing the tank, and a different bolt for the kickstand. I guess the main thing I'm looking for is what tools are included? I'm going to be getting a 350 EXC in the next few days and just want to make sure I have everything when I leave.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #4817
soutahduner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just remember that you need springs for your weight. Having a stiffer spring doesn't make the suspension more harsh. It helps the shock and fork stay in the intended mid stroke position to give best performance. I can't elaborate on the technical reasons for a progressive spring. I like them for the feel I get. For me it makes the bike feel like it is working with the terrain more than fighting it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
soutahduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #4818
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I know I've seen this covered in the thread before, but my searching is coming up empty. I'm trying to figure out what extras come with the bike. I know it should come with the desmog kit, a small tool bag w/ tools and caps and plugs for when removing the tank, and a different bolt for the kickstand. I guess the main thing I'm looking for is what tools are included? I'm going to be getting a 350 EXC in the next few days and just want to make sure I have everything when I leave.

The dealer gives you a desmog kit? Mine sure didn't, and can't see how they legally could. I got that and kickstand bolt from bestdualsportbikes.com. I find the tool bag's that come with ktm's to fairly worthless, I've removed my tank many times after replacing it with a larger one and never worried about capping the line.

I got a set of flimsy roost deflectors, owners briefcase with manuals, and small tool kit. Other than the manual, none of it has been used. well, except for the allen key, which I twisted beyond repair trying to take the bar clamps off, love the ham fisted dealership mechanics. More than I've gotten with previous ktms though I guess.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #4819
noahr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
The dealer gives you a desmog kit? Mine sure didn't, and can't see how they legally could. I got that and kickstand bolt from bestdualsportbikes.com. I find the tool bag's that come with ktm's to fairly worthless, I've removed my tank many times after replacing it with a larger one and never worried about capping the line.

I got a set of flimsy roost deflectors, owners briefcase with manuals, and small tool kit. Other than the manual, none of it has been used. well, except for the allen key, which I twisted beyond repair trying to take the bar clamps off, love the ham fisted dealership mechanics. More than I've gotten with previous ktms though I guess.
Just ordered my 2014, I'll be picking it up on Saturday. I worked my deal to include de-smogging and a remapping to the new Euro unrestricted code of KM787EU12C0701.
Perhaps some dealers won't do it but working it into your deal and the prospect of a sale in the offseason may have helped me.
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #4820
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post

Non-Ham-Fisted Dealer Mechanic here.
The emission block off kit only came on the early 2012 models, dealers were not to give it out.

The kick stand bolt is included. Oil for air filter, tool kit, wash kit (plugs for FI), owners manual, improved roost deflectors and that's about it for 2014.

I think the KTM tool kit is one of the best. The multi-tool axle wrench/tire lever is now forged steel and works. No other Mfg gives out a socket set. Screw driver, allen, torx wrenches are made to a price point. Plyers are good. Do a search on what you get with a $20k BMW 1200 GS for a laugh.

You should buy/beg a few oil filters, the first oil change is at 1-2 hours. Get a few fuel filters too. If they charge for set up, make sure it is done right. Check the air filter is installed correctly (1 of 100 is not).

The 2014 350 EXC is a great bike, power is up, head light is great, runs great out of box.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #4821
JonU
Studly Adventurer

I was under the impression that it came with what was need to desmog the bike. Honestly, I'm not really worried since I have access to pretty much anything I would need at work. Our motor sergeant is trying to get a memorandum to allow us to use the bays and our tools after duty hours. That would be awesome.

I completely forgot about the remap. I have to go back today since the paperwork wasn't ready yesterday when I went. I'll have to ask about the remapping since it seems like a 50/50 on whther or not dealers will do it.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #4822
dualsportster
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
Any 235lb (geared up) riders out there that re-sprung there 500's?
I'm trying to get an idea for spring rates, front and rear.
Someone mention earlier about using a progressive rate spring.
I never had much luck with the race tech calculator.
Roger
Give Jeff at slavensracing.com a call, he knows his stuff. He has a ton of upgrades for these bikes and very helpful install videos.
dualsportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #4823
dualsportster
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I was under the impression that it came with what was need to desmog the bike. Honestly, I'm not really worried since I have access to pretty much anything I would need at work. Our motor sergeant is trying to get a memorandum to allow us to use the bays and our tools after duty hours. That would be awesome.

I completely forgot about the remap. I have to go back today since the paperwork wasn't ready yesterday when I went. I'll have to ask about the remapping since it seems like a 50/50 on whther or not dealers will do it.

I was disappointed the one tool I needed a spanner wrench wasn't included.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4824
dualsportster
n00b

Instead of buying a supermoto wheel set, could i just go witha set of Metzer Karoo 3s instead for better on road tires?
Anyone see any reason not to?

TIA

dualsportster screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 02:50 PM
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #4825
dualsportster
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFALCON View Post
Thought I should share this. I bought a brand new 2014 500 EXC a couple of weeks ago. It ran great for 3 miles then quit running. It would start up briefly and run very rough for a few seconds then die. I honestly thought it was a fuel delivery problem. I took it back to the dealer for testing since I thought the problem was most likely a warrantee issue. They kept it for a week doing lots of tests and working with KTM to trouble shoot the problem. They replaced the injector and the TPS, still it wouldn't run. Almost as an afterthought, KTM told them to check the spark plug. It was cracked! A new, replacement plug fixed the problem. Apparently KTM has seen this on a few of the 2014 units. Unfortunately they haven't bothered to put out a service bulletin. Lesson learned: Carry a spare plug even if your 500 EXC is brand new.
Good to know, glad to hear you got it sorted out.
First thing I did was to buy a spare plug.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #4826
dualsportster
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
A nice video of Ozzie Adam Riemann taking the 500 through 7 countries. Shot by the two guys only and a camera drone. Fantastic footage on a trip we'd all enjoy on a bike we all love.

Awesome, Thanks for posting!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #4827
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 776
The Racetech P30 works very well for me. I am 205 (230 with gear) and I ride the rocks of New England and the sand of Long Island. Never harsh and always predictable.

People that ride my 13' 500 often say it is very plush and well set up. Besides the P30 spring, I have it set to factory "sport" settings plus two clicks stiffer on compression in the front and one in on the shock.

DEFINITELY recommend Jeff Slavens as the go to set up guru. Heck of a nice guy and great videos as mentioned.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #4828
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportster View Post
Give Jeff at slavensracing.com a call, he knows his stuff. He has a ton of upgrades for these bikes and very helpful install videos.
+1 !

Not sure if the diff since the 12 but mine was under sprung. I got some "fat guy" springs from Slavens Racing. What do you weigh in full gear? - hydropack/chick shit the works. Give him that as well as your bike info and style of get down and he'll get you the correct springs. A must for north of 200 fellas.

JonU - Here are the tools I carry. It's a pretty simple bike in terms of tools.

Yes that's a custom 27 .

Colemanfu screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 04:05 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #4829
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Toolkit

Here's an idea as part of ones toolkit.

Whilst a lot of minimalist toolkits consist of 1/4" drive tools, there's a few bolts on the 500 where I'd rather something stronger, ie 3/8" drive.

eg, Subframe and rear shock bolts, torx 45
Front sprocket bolt, 17mm socket
Oil drain plugs, 13mm socket.
EE bar riser bolts 7mm socket head

The Motion Pro tire spoon also fits the rear axle nut, 27mm

This would be for tightening something on the trail that had come loose rather than regular use.
The 3/8" 13mm would be loosening a stubborn oil drain plug rather than tightening, 1/4"drive is enough to tighten them.
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #4830
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'm going to take the tools that my 350 came with and see how far I can go on a take down before needing other items. I'm Just going to disassemble as far as I think I would ever need to go on a trail for now. I doubt there will be a time when I need to check the valves on a day long ride. Definitely going to add tire irons though. And as I go replace the KTM stuff with stronger items as needed