Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #751
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
My EXC came 15/45.
Super tall gearing. Have not been on any trails yet, but still has enough oomph to pull a roll on wheelie in 3rd gear.
I just ordered a 14 from my local KTM dealer, one week for delivery. Also ordered the plug and washer for the xcw to block off the air injection.
So I am gonna try 14/45 for a while, before I do the 48 rear.

Ditto, my EXC also came with 15/45......too tall.
I'm running 14/48 now, and love it. I've been able to tractor up some slick stuff, and yet pull an easy 80mph on the interstate.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #752
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
I sent Visigothic (the thread starter) a message asking for an index link on the first page...It would be some work but very useful.... fingers crossed.

I wonder if he can get rid of the "?" in the title as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #753
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
If we're redoing the title could we call it something like the 500 EXC/XCW thread and we could merge the XCW thread I started with this one?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #754
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Tank filters, in-line filters, etc.

I am absolutely mystified about all of the discussion on filtration problems that are causing what sound like serious issues with the fuel injection system and the exhaust system on the new 2012 500 EXC's, which I have. I have been riding BMW RT's, GS's, and GS Adventure's for a number of years and had a Yamaha WR250R that was also fuel injected, and many of my riding friends have other FI bikes. Not once have I ever heard anything that even remotely resembles the kind of discussions I see here about fuel related problems or the need for socks in the gas tank to screen out harmful stuff( but trying to be safe rather than sorry I did instal one !)

Please educate me. What is it about the KTM set-up that is causing all of this concern about specialized in-line filters, tank socks, exhaust blockage, etc ??? I'd really like to understand so I can take the appropriate steps, if absolutely necessary, to avoid any of these adverse issues. !!! Thanks, in advance, for your insight !
Upsandowns
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #755
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
my short take

You'll find the personality of a fair portion of the people that own KTM's are usually overkill on things or want to UPGRADE/FIX the little issues that some bikes have. I cannot compare specs between all the different bikes to have mentioned, However the fuel injectors have gotten clogged on a some bikes.

KTM has a few filters in the tank and one just before the fuel injection unit in-line. That last filter before the fuel injector has gotten clogged on some bikes. The filters mass area is so small that the least little bit of debris will effect the bikes ability to perform. KTM quickly came out with a revised filter that went from the 10 micron original size to a 20 micron replacement. This just essentially open the holes to let more debris into the fuel injectors. A lot of people took personal issue with that method and have decided to go down other paths to increase reliability and eliminate the issue.

While I'm not worried about putting a sock in the inlet of the tank to use while filling. I have put a single 10 micron easy access washable filter in-line just before the quick disconnect and then removing the filter altogether up near the fuel injection unit. This way I know I have gas with minimal debris getting to the fuel injector. In regards to crap in the tank the pump has filters and I iwll just rinse the tank out occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
I am absolutely mystified about all of the discussion on filtration problems that are causing what sound like serious issues with the fuel injection system and the exhaust system on the new 2012 500 EXC's, which I have. I have been riding BMW RT's, GS's, and GS Adventure's for a number of years and had a Yamaha WR250R that was also fuel injected, and many of my riding friends have other FI bikes. Not once have I ever heard anything that even remotely resembles the kind of discussions I see here about fuel related problems or the need for socks in the gas tank to screen out harmful stuff( but trying to be safe rather than sorry I did instal one !)

Please educate me. What is it about the KTM set-up that is causing all of this concern about specialized in-line filters, tank socks, exhaust blockage, etc ??? I'd really like to understand so I can take the appropriate steps, if absolutely necessary, to avoid any of these adverse issues. !!! Thanks, in advance, for your insight !
Upsandowns
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #756
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
absolutely mystified

Abyss, you're a better man than I.

I often wondered why people just didn't let well enough alone. Had we though, as a species, we would likely not have been bitten by the dog, discovered anti-venom or invented a fuel injected dirtbike. Improvement is always worth looking into. Thus, through avid trial and error of the consumers, the formation of the word, FARKLE. A magical blend of "Funtion" and "Sparkle", a Farkle is an accessory or modification intended to improve upon an original system or add an accessory to the vehicle in question. Clealy stated then,

1. (Noun) any modification to one's motorcycle.
2. (Verb) the act of modifying one's motorcycle in some way

Or...

F.ancy
A.ccessory
R.eally
K.ool &
L.ikely
E.xpensive

Hmm, KTM 500 falkle fest thread with indexing? More coffee...

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #757
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
SNIP...
F.ancy
A.ccessory
R.eally
K.ool &
L.ikely
E.xpensive

Hmm, KTM 500 falkle fest thread with indexing? More coffee...

So what is the breakdown for a falkle?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #758
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Ok, who changed the L and R keys? Darn interns!

PDMC 38x
Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #759
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
So what is the breakdown for a falkle?
Rule 1. Spellcheck
Rule 2. Refer to rule 1

PDMC 38x
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #760
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Thumb Thread title changes

Good idea guys . We can change the thread title to include the XC-W also if everyone is good with that. This would include all the motor/riding reports and data as it comes in from not only the EXCs but also the XC-Ws as well. Note there could be some confusion in that the EMS/ EFI maps are not the same between models as per the smog junk and other small differences so I've read etc. I'll leave that for a guru here to explain or correct me. If you guys want to leave it as just EXC thats fine too. I'll request it from the admin.

VOTE: thread title change

1. KTM 500 EXC

or

2. KTM 500 EXC & XC-W

I've also had a request to try and link index topics on the opening page. Any help with indexing topics would be appreciated.

I never thought this thread would take off the way it has. WOW!

Visigothic screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 12:36 AM Reason: requested
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #761
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post

1. KTM 500 EXC

or

2. KTM 500 EXC & XC-W

I vote for number 2,

KTM 500 EXC & XC-W
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #762
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

indexed thread

Well, now that i've lost all of my info on this post trying to download the spell check application i've decided that you will just have to live with my obvious lack of spelling skills...

In order to index the first post, Visigothic will need post numbers of the info that he will index. For instance, "top rack" on post 525. We can either post it in the thread or PM him...his call. We can index any post in ANY thread but will want to keep it relating to the EXC or XC-W obviously.

I'll start out with some ideas, not posts, for indexing..
  1. Top rack
  2. fuel filter cleaning
  3. fuel filter alternatives
  4. EFI mapping
  5. Smog
  6. Gearing
  7. Top Speed
  8. Batteries
  9. Top Clamps
  10. Headlights
  11. Electrical mods
Just a few off hand... BTW, I sent a PM to Visigothic and he's going to index this...and look into changing the title if it doesn't mess up things too bad with subscriptions..

PDMC 38x
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #763
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
I've been doing an extensive "step by step" writeup on how to make an XCW street legal (and clean up some of the sucky KTM wiring in the process ).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773406

Do you guys want that info in this thread? I think it might be a bit overwhelming...

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #764
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Hell ya...awesome post, great pics.

PDMC 38x
Old 03-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #765
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
Good idea guys . We can change the thread title to include the XC-W also if everyone is good with that. This would include all the motor/riding reports and data as it comes in from not only the EXCs but also the XC-Ws as well. Note there could be some confusion in that the EMS/ EFI maps are not the same between models as per the smog junk and other small differences so I've read etc. I'll leave that for a guru here to explain or correct me. If you guys want to leave it as just EXC thats fine too. I'll request it from the admin.

1. KTM 500 EXC

or

2. KTM 500 EXC & XC-W

I've also had a request to try and link index topics on the opening page. Any help with indexing topics would be appreciated.

I never thought this thread would take off the way it has. WOW!

Or KTM 500 XCW & EXC. HA!

ABYSS