Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #766
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
[QUOTE=Geek;18306138]I've been doing an extensive "step by step" writeup on how to make an XCW street legal (and clean up some of the sucky KTM wiring in the process ).

Geek-
how about a cell phone charger? A cigarette power outlet? I want to use my smart phone as a navigation device. I have the same Highway dirt bike set up as you do and want to set up some type of GPS or smart phone navigation device on the HDB mount.
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #767
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Clever Lever

Tried to install my 'clever lever' (adjustable and less pull) clutch lever without sucess today. The large housing of the turn/headlight/horn assembly is too big to allow for complete use of the clutch. So if you're on the fence about this lever, hang tight until another solution for the signal assembly is found...This is for the EXC, obviously...

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #768
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Tried to install my 'clever lever' (adjustable and less pull) clutch lever without sucess today. The large housing of the turn/headlight/horn assembly is too big to allow for complete use of the clutch. So if you're on the fence about this lever, hang tight until another solution for the signal assembly is found...This is for the EXC, obviously...
Interesting! I put my C-lever on last week and rode without issue. But, now i see that any user of this C-lever on the KTM maguara hydraulic clutch will need to have the slim aftermarket switch housing. Bummer, didn't even think about that before i picked it up...

However, i can say this C-lever does make a difference. It really is an easy lever....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 10:03 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #769
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

C-lever

I agree...the lever is going to work out fine once I figure out where I can find a smaller solution for the controls... one finger clutching...sweet!

PDMC 38x
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #770
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Sicassracing.com has the solution you need for the turn/headlight/horn assembly. I installed one on my EXC and it works great.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #771
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
VOTE: thread title change

1. KTM 500 EXC

or

2. KTM 500 EXC & XC-W

Until someone discovers that they are indeed different enough to separate, I think we should combine them into one thread.

I find it interesting how different our dealers are handling issues. My dealer had already installed the new fuel filter, but didn't give me the little bag of bolts to fix the suicide kickstand, or desmog. I had to buy the bolt and washer for the XCW. They didn't have any idea, what the "blue" gas was in the tank. They said we CANNOT use the map switch on this bike and that there may be someone coming out with a tuner. Also "gosh, I have always de-smoged all my bikes, but I would not do it to this bike".

I am fortunate (finally) that there are several KTM dealers in the Dallas area. I bought at RPM on I-35, can any of you guys in the Dallas area post up about the KTM place in Desoto, or up in Denton?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #772
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
I've seen these type of switches come under several different names and different brands.

I know HDB sells them for a for $35 bucks, which is a pretty good deal.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ef=switch_hb01

Note: I'm not a sponsor of HDB, just want to send a brother who has done a lot for our industry some business....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #773
Red Barron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Decatur, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Until someone discovers that they are indeed different enough to separate, I think we should combine them into one thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post

I find it interesting how different our dealers are handling issues. My dealer had already installed the new fuel filter, but didn't give me the little bag of bolts to fix the suicide kickstand, or desmog. I had to buy the bolt and washer for the XCW. They didn't have any idea, what the "blue" gas was in the tank. They said we CANNOT use the map switch on this bike and that there may be someone coming out with a tuner. Also "gosh, I have always de-smoged all my bikes, but I would not do it to this bike".

I am fortunate (finally) that there are several KTM dealers in the Dallas area. I bought at RPM on I-35, can any of you guys in the Dallas area post up about the KTM place in Desoto, or up in Denton?

I know you didn't ask about the dealer in Decatur (Action Motorsports) but they have been the greatest to me. Orange Wrench (or something like that) service department. Offer 20% off internet orders on Monday's. I have bought a 2012 500 EXC and 2008 990 Adventure from them. Handled any warranty issues immediately. Installed the filter kit on the EXC before I picked it up.

Just good folks.
Craig Martin is the owner.

Don't want to tieup this thread. PM me if you have any questions. AND no I don't work for them. I just live in
Decatur and am happy with their service and pricing.

Chris... and not the Kris in their parts department.

Red Barron screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 03:29 PM Reason: For some reason the text size changed in the middle.
Red Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #774
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
dont forget SMS and Cycle Town South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barron View Post

I know you didn't ask about the dealer in Decatur (Action Motorsports) but they have been the greatest to me. Orange Wrench (or something like that) service department. Offer 20% off internet orders on Monday's. I have bought a 2012 500 EXC and 2008 990 Adventure from them. Handled any warranty issues immediately. Installed the filter kit on the EXC before I picked it up.

Just good folks.
Craig Martin is the owner.

Don't want to tieup this thread. PM me if you have any questions. AND no I don't work for them. I just live in
Decatur and am happy with their service and pricing.

Chris... and not the Kris in their parts department.

My XCW was delivered to SMS RACING in Denton. Brain Storie is the owner and a great guy they do fantastic suspension work the take care of alot fo race teams.

Let us also not forget Curtis White @ Cycle Town South. I bought both my 950 SE and SMT from him. He is a top notch guy and knows the LC8 and the RC8 motors COLD. I'd put him up aginst any shop in that realm. Plus he can make magic happen with KTM US on occasion when others cant.

Parts wise in CHIP MUNN at Munn Racing is hard to beat.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #775
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
I agree...the lever is going to work out fine once I figure out where I can find a smaller solution for the controls... one finger clutching...sweet!
Here is a picture of my 500 EXC with the Clever Lever and the Sicass Racing Switch Installed. Tons of clearance, but I did have to cut the front part of the grip back to clear the lever.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...y/IMAG0288.jpg

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #776
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
Here is a picture of my 500 EXC with the Clever Lever and the Sicass Racing Switch Installed. Tons of clearance, but I did have to cut the front part of the grip back to clear the lever.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...y/IMAG0288.jpg

Proof! I got on their website today and have been trying to combine several items to save on shipping...just too many items to look at right now...but that switch is a winner.

Giant loop or Wolfman bags? Hmm...switches, levers, bar clamps, risers....deep breath. whew!

Beer time.

PDMC 38x
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #777
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 757
curious if any of the various compact switches (baja designs, sicass, trail tech, hdb, etc) come with pre-wired with the 2 ktm connectors?
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #778
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
curious if any of the various compact switches (baja designs, sicass, trail tech, hdb, etc) come with pre-wired with the 2 ktm connectors?
Sicass is plug and play, just order the one made for KTM 07-12. Thats why it's a bit more expensive than HDB.

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #779
DanAllen
ha-HAA

Oddometer: 80
Hello everyone. Im looking to buy a 500 exc in the next month or so. My local dealer quoted me $9800 OTD, does this sound like as decent price to you guys or am I getting screwed?

Thanks in advance.
-Dan
DanAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #780
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Exellent price for OTD. That is below the suggested retail price.

PDMC 38x