Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #826
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
very limited tire options for duel sport in 17's. no problem with the 140/80 17 rear. plus it was cheap! I think this will be a nice DS tire setup. Plus I have the stock rims and tires to play in the woods with.
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #827
Ridetosea
Adventurer

This is what she looks like with the 21/18 wheels just to show that I didn't buy her just to DS. I found out why no one else was taking this trail. Wow, no tire tracks! fresh trail! why could this be?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #828
smoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
supermoto rear tire max size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
very limited tire options for duel sport in 17's. no problem with the 140/80 17 rear. plus it was cheap! I think this will be a nice DS tire setup. Plus I have the stock rims and tires to play in the woods with.
HOW close does that 140 rear tire fit? Ive read people are using 150's with no problem but the 160's rub the chain. how about a close up of the clearance please.
smoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #829
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
Nice!! Now that looks like a fun ride! Me likey . If you don't mind me asking (and feel free to pm) what those Warp 9's went for, set up? Did you get the cush hub? Do you feel that you really needed a bigger SUMO rotor? Any idea what a set of used KTM wheels go for? I think I read on here that these are interchangeable with older models.

I wonder how different it would handle with the 21/18 than 17's. I am coming from a sport touring Tiger, and the few weeks on my wifes CRF before I put d/s tires on it. These are Shinko's and are obviously in 17" sizes.

The EXC feels weird to me on the road with knobs but i am not sure if the turn in difference is the knobbies or 21" front tire with knobs.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #830
Ridetosea
Adventurer

This is your clearance, clarance

I guess the clearance is a little close. No rubbing thus far but I would say this is about the max amount of rubber possible without cutting or removing the plastic chain gaurd.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #831
Ridetosea
Adventurer

another angel
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #832
Ridetosea
Adventurer

time to turn in

"I wonder how different it would handle with the 21/18 than 17's. I am coming from a sport touring Tiger, and the few weeks on my wifes CRF before I put d/s tires on it. These are Shinko's and are obviously in 17" sizes. "

This is the first 21 inch front tire I have ridden since I was but a young pup. The turn in was drastically different the first time I rode the beast. That is a big gyro up front and took some time to adjust to. Bolt on the 17" right back in my comfort zone. The brakes are overkill IMHO. Oh, they are nice but I liked the stock setup as well. Actually I think the brembo's are the best brakes I have ever used. The ZX14's breaks are nice and the Harley Fat boy's are simply sad and dangerous, I think I can be heard yelling whoa boy! At least the HD can't go very fast, 103 CI CVO and no-go. Come on HD build a better bike! If you can stick to the stock front rotor you will avoid the caliper re-location bracket. This adds maybe an additional 20 min to change back and forth. I bought the warp 9's on E-bay. his post is still there. I had no problems with the purchase. I think they might be the cheapest way to get 17" wheels? Was when I found them. Plus they come complete, brakes, bracket, sprocket. just mount and balance tires and bolt them on... then do all the mods I mentioned.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #833
RetVet
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have joined the ranks...

After many, many years of racing and riding MX, I started looking for an enduro bike. I wanted a bike that would ride trails well and also still ride the track well if I wanted it to. I started looking for some reviews on different bikes and stumbled on this thread when it was about 45 pages. After reading this thread, I decided to get the 500 EXC. Brought it home yesterday but haven't had the opportunity to ride it much, just a few miles on the road. Will have the opportunity to ride it this weekend. Can't wait. Here are a couple of pics just after I got it home.

RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #834
smoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Boy you guys out west have got it easy, just go down to the dealer and bring it home. I'm waiting for a crated bike to get shipped to Ohio then to my dealer, eta is end of this month. No more left here in the northeast.
smoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #835
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoose View Post
Boy you guys out west have got it easy, just go down to the dealer and bring it home. I'm waiting for a crated bike to get shipped to Ohio then to my dealer, eta is end of this month. No more left here in the northeast.
Sounds like it's time for a road trip.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #836
Ridetosea
Adventurer

I think as word spreads on how nice this bike is they will become hard to find. Cycle World May 2012, just did a test on the 350 EXC and the competition was not even close. They followed that with a one page article on the 500 EXC. I quote " KTM's completely revised 2012 500 EXC is the best street-legal enduro ever."
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #837
RetVet
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoose View Post
Let me tell you, I looked for this bike for two weeks. If you look you can see I joined this board on March 18. I started looking the next day and finally got one yesterday. It's kind of funny because I have never had a hard time buying an MX bike, but the one time I want something different, I couldn't just go to the dealer with the best deal. It took some work to get this bike.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #838
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
New bike

It will be difficult to ride it with the smog stuff attached...what a beast when uncorked! Have fun... Lot's of good info in here about it too...

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #839
Raceforever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ktm 450 exc rear tank

MY NEW TANK !!!!!!

DAKAR 2008 CANCELLED
PHARAONS RALLY 2008
AFRICA ECORACE 2010
Raceforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #840
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceforever View Post
MY NEW TANK !!!!!!

uhhhhh, ok.....

should there be a picture somewhere.....

edit: ahh, there they are......11/22/13

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:07 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote