Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #1366
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Any tips or tricks on removing the throttle body?

Thanks

JP
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #1367
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Hello,
Is the counter shaft sprocket bolt standard or reverse thread?
It's standard thread. I needed an impact wrench to break it loose. They used a rather copious amount of high strength thread locker on it.

Remove the bolt before you remove the rear wheel and chain. Put it on the sidestand and have someone stand on the rear brake for you. Run it in and out a few times to clean the residue from the thread locker off the threads.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #1368
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Yep got it thanks. Nice difference just dropping one tooth. The Seat Concepts seat is nice also, going to get busy with the hand guards and damper stuff next.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #1369
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Springs are my next project. Debating tearing the ass out of it (sts) and sending it off to be resprung and revalved. I'm a good bit bigger than their 180lb "target rider".

Finished the desmog yesterday. Ordered the screws and washers to do it completely ($9 total) and used a Moose racing tank cap vent ($10). Remounted the horn to the evap canister bracket while I had the tank off. Dialed the idle up, probably a bit higher than normal, but it should lessen the chances of any flameouts when chopping the throttle.

Also checked the rocker shafts while I had it all apart and sure enough, the rear is gtg the front is flipped. The debate that I have now is whether to just fix it myself or take it to the dealer (160 miles round trip so almost $35 in gas in my truck not to mention the time for me to drive there and wait for them to do the work and then drive home assuming that they can take care of it while I wait). They (KTM not the dealer) should make their mistake right, BUT it's almost just easier for me to handle it since I live in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #1370
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Standard EXC vs Six Days Edition ??

Aside from graphics and frame/wheel colors... are there really any functional or content differences on the 6-days. Considering ordering a 2013 and website doesn't indicate any real differences. Thanks Dave
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #1371
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

I would speculate that it is an XC-W (like all the rest of the world's EXC's) so it doesn't have the smog crap or extra lean map on a locked ECU. Possibly some differences in the shocks and forks. The rest is probably cosmetic.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #1372
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
Got my new MT43 tire mounted. To assist with keeping the tire balanced, I drilled a hole opposite the stock Rim-lock location, and Instead of using the stock rim locks, I installed a couple of Motion Pro Liteloc Rim Locks. These are quite a bit lighter than the stock Rim Lock, and do a great job. With the two Rim locks installed, the balance was much easier and used much less weight; 3/4oz total to get a really nice balance.

I saw a video a while back about how some pro rider greased the tube before installing it into the tire. In following this method, the tire went on pretty darn easy. I did clean up the bead of grease before sealing it up. I decided to use this method because my last flat tire was caused by the tube tearing at the tube stem.

So, here is a shot of the two Motion Pro Liteloc Rim Locks, and just 3/4oz of weight.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 10:55 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1373
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Steveo,
Have you had experience with a trials tire before? I have read and read about using them, I am pretty comfortable that they work well on the trails but am concerned about street performance. I have been thinking about trying one soon.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #1374
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Hey Steveo,
Have you had experience with a trials tire before? I have read and read about using them, I am pretty comfortable that they work well on the trails but am concerned about street performance. I have been thinking about trying one soon.
I have not had experience with Trials tire before. I suspect they work better on the street and dirt roads than on single track or sand, based on the tread pattern. However, based on today's ride, this thought is a ill-conceived. Today I did some great single-track in buckman, running the tire at 15psi. The tire did, in my opinion, exceptionally well carving up the single track trails, much better than I expected. I've heard these tires last much longer than your standard Dirt-tire, such as a Dunlop D606. I'm hoping this is the case, however on the back of the KTM 500EXC, I wouldn't expect any tire to last long.......

In summary, this tire has exceeded my expectations in the dirt. It should do equally well on the street, given the tread pattern.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #1375
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

I am interested in how they feel when pushed a little on the street. The rear knobbies comes out but it is not a surprise when it happens. The profile of the trials tire kind of worries me. Do you have your HDB setup for a damper?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1376
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
I am interested in how they feel when pushed a little on the street. The rear knobbies comes out but it is not a surprise when it happens. The profile of the trials tire kind of worries me. Do you have your HDB setup for a damper?
Yup. The HDB riser is setup for a dampner. Sometime in the future, i may be lucky enough to afford one.....

Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #1377
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Your bike is setup just about how I want mine to be, little at a time.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1378
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Your bike is setup just about how I want mine to be, little at a time.
Thanks. This is my third dirtbike, and being the third time around, i wanted to get it setup right the first time. So far i'm very happy with what i have on the bike. Of course a larger 4 gallon tank will be nice too.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #1379
Davonat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
A note on the trials tires....Alot of the HOT enduro riders up in Michigan use the trials tires on thier single track racers. There are alot of rocky trails.... But these bikes are not street legal ...... So I have no info on how they work on the street. 1 would figure they would work well.........They grip rock extremely well... and pavement is rock sorta.... Davo
Davonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #1380
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Got my new MT43 tire mounted. To assist with keeping the tire balanced, I drilled a hole opposite the stock Rim-lock location, and Instead of using the stock rim locks, I installed a couple of Motion Pro Liteloc Rim Locks. These are quite a bit lighter than the stock Rim Lock, and do a great job. With the two Rim locks installed, the balance was much easier and used much less weight; 3/4oz total to get a really nice balance.

I saw a video a while back about how some pro rider greased the tube before installing it into the tire. In following this method, the tire went on pretty darn easy. I did clean up the bead of grease before sealing it up. I decided to use this method because my last flat tire was caused by the tube tearing at the tube stem.

So, here is a shot of the two Motion Pro Liteloc Rim Locks, and just 3/4oz of weight.

On another note, the HDB Top clamp and been working flawlessly. Paul makes some top-notch products, that are a cut above the rest.

hey Stevo,undo your valve stem nuts and back them off to the valve cap,that way you can keep an eye on tyre creep
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote