User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
toddvaron OP
Short Pump GS

Oddometer: 3
Question on protection for 2011 BMW G650gs

I just bought a new G650GS and it came with no protection for off-road riding.

Does anyone know what the best protectors (e.g., engine guard, skid plate, etc., hand guards) are for that bike?

I have seen that BMW sells some, as does SW Motech, as does Touratech, and some others; but I don't have any idea which is best.

Also, can anyone explain the difference between an "engine guard" and a "skid plate" or "bash plate"?

And is it necessary to get protection for the fairing as well? And if so, which one?

Finally, is it necessary to get some dust/dirt protection for the forks?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on this.

Best -

- Todd
toddvaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvaron View Post
I just bought a new G650GS and it came with no protection for off-road riding.

Does anyone know what the best protectors (e.g., engine guard, skid plate, etc., hand guards) are for that bike?

I have seen that BMW sells some, as does SW Motech, as does Touratech, and some others; but I don't have any idea which is best.

Also, can anyone explain the difference between an "engine guard" and a "skid plate" or "bash plate"?

And is it necessary to get protection for the fairing as well? And if so, which one?

Finally, is it necessary to get some dust/dirt protection for the forks?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on this.

Best -

- Todd
Personally I like the look of the Touratech bash plate over the others, it is also 4mm so would appear a tad heavier (take more abuse) than the others. Hepco Becker have a new one coming as well, looks very similar to the BMW one. Bash plate or skid plate is for saving the engine etc from rocks hitting up from below. Or...for 'skidding' over rocks, trees etc if you are that keen offroad, remember it is still a near 200kg bike!

Engine guard or 'crash bars' are designed to minimise damage to the fairing etc if you have a fall sideways, different brands have different styles and levels of protection, most have good and bad points, really it depends on how much protection you want and what looks ok on the bike. For engine bars I like the SW Motech ones personally.

Hand guards..same as above! Bark Busters probably offer the best protection as they have an alloy bar as well as the plastic wind/bush deflection but I have had them on my last 2 bikes and for a change will probably go for the BMW ones on my 2011 model as I think they look better.

Alot of it is personal choice :)
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
toddvaron OP
Short Pump GS

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered the BMW hand guards, bash plate, and engine guard. I was tempted to get the SW Motech crash guards but in the end felt better getting BMW stuff.

Not sure whether to get any protection (e.g., gaitors) for the forks though. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
toddvaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvaron View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered the BMW hand guards, bash plate, and engine guard. I was tempted to get the SW Motech crash guards but in the end felt better getting BMW stuff.

Not sure whether to get any protection (e.g., gaitors) for the forks though. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Gaitors probably a good idea if you intend doing abit of rougher roads.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 287
I've just ordered the Touratech fairing guard for my 2011 G650GS. Given you have the OEM gear for engine protection, this guard should complement the bike nicely:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...G650GS-2009-on
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
misterwhipple
Tragic Lemon Magnet

Oddometer: 29
I bought the factory handguards, but returned them because they didn't quite fit. They seemed to be built for a bar-end weight with a slightly smaller-diameter face. It would probably have been easy to adapt them with a few minutes' Dremel-tooling, but I was peeved that factory parts didn't fit out of the box. What's odd is that, although my factory weights match the drawing on the parts fiche, I met another '11-model owner whose weights were chamfered and looked they would fit.

BarkBusters doesn't have a mounting kit to fit the 2011 (confirmed with the factory 5/23/11). I'm saving up to try the Touratech GD guards. (No idea what "GD" stands for.)

I have SW-Motech engine bars/crash bars, and I like them. They seem very sturdy. The Touratech bars that MarkWAau linked didn't appeal to me because they look less sturdy (they're not attached to the frame at the rear like the SW-Motech bars).
misterwhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwhipple View Post
I bought the factory handguards, but returned them because they didn't quite fit. They seemed to be built for a bar-end weight with a slightly smaller-diameter face. It would probably have been easy to adapt them with a few minutes' Dremel-tooling, but I was peeved that factory parts didn't fit out of the box. What's odd is that, although my factory weights match the drawing on the parts fiche, I met another '11-model owner whose weights were chamfered and looked they would fit.

BarkBusters doesn't have a mounting kit to fit the 2011 (confirmed with the factory 5/23/11). I'm saving up to try the Touratech GD guards. (No idea what "GD" stands for.)

I have SW-Motech engine bars/crash bars, and I like them. They seem very sturdy. The Touratech bars that MarkWAau linked didn't appeal to me because they look less sturdy (they're not attached to the frame at the rear like the SW-Motech bars).
Interesting about the BMW hand guards, mine turn up next week so will check that.

No trouble fitting the SW Motech engine bars? they told me they dont fit!

Any pics?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barance View Post
Interesting about the BMW hand guards, mine turn up next week so will check that.

No trouble fitting the SW Motech engine bars? they told me they dont fit!

Any pics?

I got my guards fit ok, they come with a spacer which is needed maybe you didnt get that in yours?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Neoprene gaiters unless you want to change fork seals all the time. Other than that hand guards and a decent bashplate covering the whole bottom side would do fine. Shock guard such as the old NB crap flap which is no longer available. But you can easily make one. Put some foam between the frame and radiator or risk all sorts of problems
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Neoprene gaiters unless you want to change fork seals all the time. Other than that hand guards and a decent bashplate covering the whole bottom side would do fine. Shock guard such as the old NB crap flap which is no longer available. But you can easily make one. Put some foam between the frame and radiator or risk all sorts of problems
To comment on Taco's gaiters...

Standard accordion rubber gaiters works fine. Had a fork seal go before 6000k, but 60.000k now with accordion gaiters and no worries (everything was completely worn out when I had the forks in for service/ upgrade/ rebuild at race suspension place, but no leaks).

And now for some general tips

OEM engine bars protects the bottom of the bike very well, but the fastening points suck (small tabs on the frame that bends on impact). In the end I had to cut the BMW engine gueard off with an angle grinder.

I now sport the Touratech bash plate and it has much better fastening points (pegs), but it has a nasty dent on the rear part du to some protruding rock or something (can't pin point the loud bang that caused the damaged from the rest of the big bangs).

I haven't had bar weights apart from the first season. Haven't missed them.

I've crashed my bike in all directions, most recently last fall when I high sided during a course in how to "desert race", but the hardest one was a full forward somersault (with me still on it) after hitting a tree stump. Front wheel crushed, then my back hit some cut off trees (thank you back protector) the the back end of both exhaust cans hit the ground before we ended up on the wheels and fell on to one side.

Point is I've never damaged anything on either side of the engine. What breaks are all turn signals (replace with any no name brand from local bike shop, preferably dirtbike shop) and both mirrors (often purchased at same no brand shop).

Most important mods are the 'as good as' free ones that you do yourself;
  • Like Taco said; small piece of foam between radiator and frame to prevent small pebbles from getting lodged and grinding a hole in the radiator (been there done that....)
  • Lock washers on all frame bolts - most of all rear frame, but also both bolts under and in front of engine (had all come loose and snap several times before adding lock washers. No problems since)

The Acerbis handprotectors are very good - I've never broken a lever in my life (Touratech also sells them with their name printed nect to Acerbis, but Acerbis is pretty much sold in all motocross/ dirtbike shops for half the price)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
To comment on Taco's gaiters...

Standard accordion rubber gaiters works fine.
They have been known to cause overheating though.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
They have been known to cause overheating though.
I don't believe that for a second

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote