User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Red Herring OP
Gnarly Commuter

Oddometer: 114
990 Idle recomendation

My 2011 SMT seems to idle at ~17-1800. Seems pretty high.

I have read they usually idle at ~1600. Still seems high.

I was wondering if there were any contraindications to having the shop drop the idle to 12-1400? There must be a reason KTM has them idle so high... but I can't figure it out, and can only assume that a lower idle would be just fine.

What do folks commonly have theirs set to?

Steve
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
I was told by a KTM mechanic to set idle at 1600 RPM and one of the reasons was to Keep the Oil Circulating to the necessary mechanical parts for better lubrication.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Idle speed on the 990's when warmed up to 80 deg C should be 1450 RPM. If oil pressure is low at this speed (ie: the oil light stays on), there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Increasing the RPM will only mask the symptoms. The oil pressure specs for the 990 engine at 100 deg C are:

1500 RPM - min. .8 bar (11 psi)
6000 RPM - min 2.4 bar (35psi) max 3.5 bar (51psi)

Be sure that when the mech re-adjusts the idle speed they either use the diagnostics tool to retract the idle stepper motor, or he warms the engine up to 80 Deg C. When he has the idle speed set, he will need to check the Throttle Position Sensor and adjust if out of spec.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 04:09 PM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
doglegdon
doglegdon

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Idle speed on the 990's when warmed up to 80 deg C should be 1450 RPM.
Spot on with mine.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Red Herring OP
Gnarly Commuter

Thank You! I'll make a note on the w/o when I bring it in next week. IIRC, the only way to set idle is with the diagnostic tool, right?

Quote:
Idle speed on the 990's when warmed up to 80 deg C should be 1450 RPM. If oil pressure is low at this speed (ie: the oil light stays on), there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Increasing the RPM will only mask the symptoms. The oil pressure specs for the 990 engine at 100 deg C are:

1500 RPM - min. .8 bar (11 psi)
6000 RPM - min 2.4 bar (35psi) max 3.5 bar (51psi)

Be sure that when the mech re-adjusts the idle speed they either use the diagnostics tool to retract the idle stepper motor, or he warms the engine up to 80 Deg C. When he has the idle speed set, he will need to check the Throttle Position Sensor and adjust if out of spec.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Thank You! I'll make a note on the w/o when I bring it in next week. IIRC, the only way to set idle is with the diagnostic tool, right?
You can do it yourself with TuneECU.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Red Herring OP
Gnarly Commuter

Quote:
You can do it yourself with TuneECU.

Hmm. That's sounding more and more like a must have.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Red Herring OP
Gnarly Commuter

Quote:

This might be a silly question, and probably quite noobish, but how will I know if it has/has not been done?

I am asking because I brought it in this morning, and when I asked that the idle be set to 1450 when the engine was warm, he said "I'll set it to speck". I said 1450 was within spec, and asked that they check the TPS after adjusting the idle. He suggested I not tell them how to do their jobs, that their guys had been to school, and knew what they were doing.

Needless to say, I left with somewhat less than a warm fuzzy feeling, and will pick it up tomorrow. I`ll let it idle up to temp in their lot, see how it looks.

If they have not readjusted the TPS, how will it manafest itself, or is it something I don't really need to be too worried about?

God I hate taking the bike in. This will be the first and last service with them.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
This might be a silly question, and probably quite noobish, but how will I know if it has/has not been done?

I am asking because I brought it in this morning, and when I asked that the idle be set to 1450 when the engine was warm, he said "I'll set it to speck". I said 1450 was within spec, and asked that they check the TPS after adjusting the idle. He suggested I not tell them how to do their jobs, that their guys had been to school, and knew what they were doing.

Needless to say, I left with somewhat less than a warm fuzzy feeling, and will pick it up tomorrow. I`ll let it idle up to temp in their lot, see how it looks.

If they have not readjusted the TPS, how will it manafest itself, or is it something I don't really need to be too worried about?

God I hate taking the bike in. This will be the first and last service with them.
Find a new dealer! I laugh at dealerships that on forum information as if it was all garbage.....
Sapling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

If the steeler's mech really does know his trade and practices what he learned, he will let the engine idle for 15 minutes after he finishes his adjustments. You can do it for him in the parking lot when you pick it up (just to make sure). Don't touch the throttle at anytime during those 15 minutes (during the start up or during the idle period) and the ECU will adapt itself.

-cp

cpmodem screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 01:14 AM Reason: spellcheck
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
Erik500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
If the steeler's mech really does now his trade and practices what he learned, he will let the engine idle for 15 minutes after he finishes his adjustments. You can do it for him in the parking lot when you pick it up (just to make sure). Don't touch the throttle at anytime during those 15 minutes (during the start up or during the idle period) and the ECU will adapt itself.
And ...make sure the bike is 100% straight (i.e. : NOT on the side stand !).
Just sit on it, keeping it upright.
It'll be the longest 'red light'- stop you'll ever encounter while on the bike, almost a zen experience

Good luck !
Erik500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
okourkoulos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
The needle in the rev counter is moving just a little.
When I asked, they said it's normal, they all do it.
Doesn't seem very normal to me!
What do you think?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by okourkoulos View Post
The needle in the rev counter is moving just a little.
When I asked, they said it's normal, they all do it.
Doesn't seem very normal to me!
What do you think?
What do you mean by "just a little"

-cp

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,740
They tend to wear and get parkinson...

I have replaced one on my 2003. The axle tends to stick in places... Can be lubed but not much improves. I haven't found a cure...
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
okourkoulos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
What do you mean by "just a little"
I mean like 100-150 rpm.