ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59 14' 9" N / 135 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by okourkoulos View Post
I mean like 100-150 rpm.
That's normal.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Martynho
ChileGringo
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Santiago de Chile
Oddometer: 402
Do you have a fullprocedure fro this

HI,

I am still having problems with erratic idle speeds on my 2009 990r. It has been over 2 months we have been working on this now with no results. It is an intermittent fault, suddely goes to a 2000 or even 4000 rpm idle. If I stop, switch off and start again it settles but it will re occur, sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes in 2 days. Very very frustrating and the shop who deals with my bike and I are now at a loss.

Can you give us an simple step by step pn the idle speed and tps adjustment procedure please? The manual has no detail on this. We looked at the TPS on KTM diagnostics this morning and it is within spec =.56V at zero (green on the chart)

Engine was overhauled (new rings, valves, guides etc) at 64,000 kms, problem started after that. Now runnng a 2007 ECU with std 2007 map, as the std ecu shat out the immobiliser and I wanted rid of the immobiliser system, hence went to a pre 2009 ecu and map. Once I get this idling issue sorted I may look at copying back in the 2012 map tables.

Reall y appreciate any hemp you can offer Sir
Cheers - Martyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Idle speed on the 990's when warmed up to 80 deg C should be 1450 RPM. If oil pressure is low at this speed (ie: the oil light stays on), there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Increasing the RPM will only mask the symptoms. The oil pressure specs for the 990 engine at 100 deg C are:

1500 RPM - min. .8 bar (11 psi)
6000 RPM - min 2.4 bar (35psi) max 3.5 bar (51psi)

Be sure that when the mech re-adjusts the idle speed they either use the diagnostics tool to retract the idle stepper motor, or he warms the engine up to 80 Deg C. When he has the idle speed set, he will need to check the Throttle Position Sensor and adjust if out of spec.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,726
The 07 and 09 Fuel Injection systems are very different. The ignition timing is very different as are the maps. The 09 system is vastly improved over the 07/08 system. I'm surprised that it even starts.

Ignoring that, you have the classic signs of a bad TPS. The TPS resistance values are changing while the engine is running and the CPU doesn't know where it's at.

A consistent low (or high) idle can also be caused by the throttle bodies out of sync. Valves out of adjustment will make the throttle bodies out of sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
HI,

I am still having problems with erratic idle speeds on my 2009 990r. It has been over 2 months we have been working on this now with no results. It is an intermittent fault, suddely goes to a 2000 or even 4000 rpm idle. If I stop, switch off and start again it settles but it will re occur, sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes in 2 days. Very very frustrating and the shop who deals with my bike and I are now at a loss.

Can you give us an simple step by step pn the idle speed and tps adjustment procedure please? The manual has no detail on this. We looked at the TPS on KTM diagnostics this morning and it is within spec =.56V at zero (green on the chart)

Engine was overhauled (new rings, valves, guides etc) at 64,000 kms, problem started after that. Now runnng a 2007 ECU with std 2007 map, as the std ecu shat out the immobiliser and I wanted rid of the immobiliser system, hence went to a pre 2009 ecu and map. Once I get this idling issue sorted I may look at copying back in the 2012 map tables.

Reall y appreciate any hemp you can offer Sir
Cheers - Martyn
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
Martynho
ChileGringo
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Santiago de Chile
Oddometer: 402
I will try that - ordered the TPS`s

Thanks Zuber,

The valves should be ins spec as it was recetly rebuilt, and we also balanced the throttle bodies a few weeks ago (they were out)

I went to the 07 ECU and map in order to rid myself of the immobiliser which had taken a shit. Conventional wisdom is that if I install an 09 onwards R map the software will look for an immobiliser signal and just say no. I have only just started playing with tuneECU and tried copying the 09R tables into my 07 map, loaded it up and it would barely start so I reverted back pronto. It runs just fine other that the odd backfire on the overrun. Once I get to the bottom of the idling issue I will keep working on the mapping.

Will try the TPS swap out, not available here in CHile so I have ordered them from cyclehutt

Cheers - Martyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The 07 and 09 Fuel Injection systems are very different. The ignition timing is very different as are the maps. The 09 system is vastly improved over the 07/08 system. I'm surprised that it even starts.

Ignoring that, you have the classic signs of a bad TPS. The TPS resistance values are changing while the engine is running and the CPU doesn't know where it's at.

A consistent low (or high) idle can also be caused by the throttle bodies out of sync. Valves out of adjustment will make the throttle bodies out of sync.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
ElRod
4<2
 
ElRod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 276
You may want to check the brass MAP sensor fittings that screw into the intake runners under the Throttle bodies. Mine were plugged causing idling issues and difficulty setting the TPS and balancing.
__________________
.
ElRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #21
Martynho
ChileGringo
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Santiago de Chile
Oddometer: 402
Thanks

Yep, checked them already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRod View Post
You may want to check the brass MAP sensor fittings that screw into the intake runners under the Throttle bodies. Mine were plugged causing idling issues and difficulty setting the TPS and balancing.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014