User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
DGraham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Help me get this monkey off my butt!

I guess this belongs here vs. equipment because the bike is a GS ('09).
I bought the thing with the grand plans of riding far and wide. So far it hasn't mattered because I haven't had enough time, but it doesn't matter anyway because I can't go more than 200 miles without debilitating monkey butt syndrome (MBS).
I have sargent seat, added airhawk pad, LDComfort shorts, and Klim Badlands pants. Even with the vents open and not overly hot temperatures, MBS rears it's ugly head. Shift around, stand up, squirm, take breaks, MBS don't care... It's amazing to me that I can spend more time on a bicycle than this freakin thing.

So two questions:
Do butts break in over time? I would hope to not develop calluses (), but do butts just get used to/resistant to it?
What else can I try? Beads?

I need to go farther, I didn't just buy this thing to be a grocery getter (which I still do)
Help!
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
Had same problem with my 06GS...couldn't ride more than 100-150 miles without doing a 'butt check'.

Solutions:
1. Installed an Alaskan Butt Pad on top of GS seat....good solution 'butt' didn't like the FURRY look.
2. Bought a GSA seat...PROBLEM solved. Extra 1" of GEL made all the difference in the world.
Don't even think about 'butt checks' anymore...riding is a pleasure with the GSA seat

Also make sure you adjust the aluminum rods on the seat (flatten seat towards back) so that the CROWN JEWELS are not constantly sliding FORWARD...that's a real pain.

YMMV
Stats: 200#, 74"
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
DGraham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply.

We are pretty much the same stats, I'm 5 lbs more but have the butt of a 150#er. I'd like to avoid buying another seat, although that's very interesting that the GSA seat helped you. I know about the seat post trick, and usually do that - just because - but I don't really feel leaned forward and the boys are ok either way. The seat was in 'normal' high position for 400 miles this weekend, maybe I'll put it back.

I did buy the moto-undies (can't remember the name), but haven't tried them on a longer ride yet.

I'm most surprised that the airhawk isn't doing the trick. I think I tried every level of air I could with it, from 1/2 full to almost none. I can sit on that thing for hours at a sporting event and it's comfortable as can be...but on the bike it's just a pain in the.....well....ass.

What say anyone about the 'become resistant to it' theory, or hope?

edit: Ahh, moto-skiveez. Looked it up, it was driving me nuts
Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,349
If you truly have Monkey Butt (which is a rash / skin irritation caused by moisture) then the only way to get rid of it is to stay off the bike until it heals. Once it heals just keep your ass dry and it wont come back. Until you clear it up 100% it will keep coming back no matter what you do.

There are lots of ways to keep your ass dry (powders, shorts with chamois, beads and so on.) None of those will do much good until you first clear up the rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Seats are about the most subjective subject on the planet.

There is no "best" seat. Only the best seat for YOU!

I'm a light weight. I learned years ago, racing in stage races on road bicycles in SOCAL that a firm seat with little to no padding was best for me.

Most discomfort, regardless of one's size and type of posterior is ensuring the weight of your torso is transferred to the seat through your ischial turberosities or "sit bones". A "assometer" (or whatever you want to call it) can help determine proper foam layering during a custom seat construction to allow the "sit bones" to transfer weight to the seat and thereby eliminating pressure points.

If body weight is transferred to the seat through the tailbone or any other boney surface, numbness is the likely result.

I prefer seats with very firm thin padding under my "sit bones". The area between the sit bones is scooped out to prevent tailbone contact with seat. I have channels formed into the sides of the seat to prevent pressure on my upper legs.

As far as monkey ass, eliminating pressure points allows for air flow around your ass and helps prevent wet ass. Also, lose the cotton. Go with something like Patagonia Capilene boxers or Nike Combat compression shorts.

James Renazco is one of the best in the business at understanding and constructing seats based on customer desires.

roadrider18 screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 08:53 AM
roadrider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Sopranos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
My take on this:

I have Sargent heated seat. After about 200Km it get's to be somewhat hard on me, I start moving around, stand up etc etc...luckily I have to stop for gas after 200Km anyway as I don't wait until the last drop (usually I can do about 320Km on a tank). and usually that stretch of only few minutes is enough to get me going again

I did a trip a few 1200Km in a day trips and I added beads to the seat. Ceramic beads. What a difference I found. But to be honest after about 1000Km those beads were hurting, so for the last 200Km of the trip I removed beads and that change made it so much better. So I'd suggest making a "change" to your seat every 400-500Km, if you are doing long trips in a day....it helped me, honestly after 1000Km I wanted to stop and beat the crap out of the seat, beads, anything in my way LOL!!!!!
Sopranos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Some good points Sopranos!

DG, perhaps you should check with the Iron Butt riders.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
DGraham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD View Post
If you truly have Monkey Butt (which is a rash / skin irritation caused by moisture) then the only way to get rid of it is to stay off the bike until it heals. Once it heals just keep your ass dry and it wont come back. Until you clear it up 100% it will keep coming back no matter what you do.

There are lots of ways to keep your ass dry (powders, shorts with chamois, beads and so on.) None of those will do much good until you first clear up the rash.
Well this is interesting, I wonder if I've been using the term right? It's definitely rash like, red and sore, but it goes away on it's own overnight with no particular attention to it.

Are there opinions on whether it's possible to build your ass up for a longer ride? All things (equipment weather etc) being equal, if I went 150 miles a day for a number of days, would my butt last longer eventually? I don't know if skin can build rash resistance or not?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 584
DGraham, I am the creator of Moto-Skiveez®. Although we put considerable thought into our designs, they may not be the best or only solution for everyone.

Let me suggest something that may compliment the performance of Moto-Skiveez®. If you truly do have skin irritation, one of the best options I have ever found, is what is referred to in professional cycling as "chamois cream." The below link is for ASSOS out of Switzerland. This is is about the best I have ever used. You can find it in probably any high end bicycle shop. Works incredibly well for skin rashes. For very long rides I use this with my Moto-Skiveez®. Hope that helps.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?prod=175
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I suppose you could try the Russell Day-Long Seat on your bike IF, you can stand the looks.

I know they are supposed to be supremely comfortable, but to me the seat looks like a Medical Device / Barcalounger / Stinky Farting Chair...

MaxSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
Well this is interesting, I wonder if I've been using the term right? It's definitely rash like, red and sore, but it goes away on it's own overnight with no particular attention to it.

Are there opinions on whether it's possible to build your ass up for a longer ride? All things (equipment weather etc) being equal, if I went 150 miles a day for a number of days, would my butt last longer eventually? I don't know if skin can build rash resistance or not?
Maybe you're having an allergic reaction to the synthetic cover?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post

I never have had a rash (so far), but my ass and thighs do begin to become sore after around 50 miles of just sitting (no standing or moving around) on my R1150GSA. I typically have to stop and walk around a bit every 100 miles or so - which eliminates the fatigue rapidly. So I'm in the market for a different seat, like the Sargent.

I'm wondering what your physical specs are, as in weight, height? Also what is your diet like? Do you drink enough water per day? That could be associated with any sort of irritation you are getting. I'd recommend natural cotton for undergarments and nothing synthetic.
MaxSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

ASSOS is super expensive. We used it by the case load when sponsored.

A very inexpensive ASSOS substitute, and what I currently use in the summer for all bicycle rides (road and MTB) is to mix the following 50/50 in a Rubbermaid container.

Noxmeza Cleansing cream and Udder Smooth cream.

Noxzema contains stearic acid, camphor, menthol and eucalyptus and some other things. But the first 4 ingredients will help deal with any rash or hot spots.

By mixing the above, you will end up with 4 times as much cream for the price of one small ASSOS tub and get the identical results.

Now you will smell like menthol and eucalyptus! But, if you indeed have monkey rash ass, this will go a long way helping you ride longer and in more comfort.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
I'd recommend natural cotton for undergarments and nothing synthetic.
If DG develops a wet ass rash while riding, cotton is not the material to wear. Cotton will simply retain moisture until removed. Now post ride, after a rash has developed and been treated, I would agree, an all natural fabric against the skin is going to be a better choice.

Not too many athletes in any sport wear cotton these days. Only technical materials that wick moisture away from the skin. This aides both body cooling and preventing rashes by moving moisture away from the skin.

roadrider18 screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 10:42 AM
roadrider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Zuppy51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I've tried many seats, pants, underwear, etc. With no such luck.
I think Monkey Butt has more to do with Air circulation than anything else.
Have you tried one of these "Anti Monkey Butt" solutions?
I've been using the one with Calamine and it works wonders. I can ride for many hours now.
Anti Monkey Butt Powder with Calamine

https://www.google.com/search?q=moke...ss&safe=active
Zuppy51 is offline   Reply With Quote