Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #31
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGringo View Post
Nice to see there's interested in the fixture. But realistically it would be too time consuming to make them on a case by case basis. It would have to be mass produced to make it even remotely affordable. Plus, hanging out with friends, drinking beers and building stuff is a great time, but once you've turned it in to a job.... well no fun.
H
You could always make detailed drawings of the fixtures and sell the drawings. That puts the fabrication on someone elses shoulders. If a person posesses the skills to make it themselves, all the better. I would be interested in a set of drawings. I am slowly ramping up doing bike repair as a side job, and there are alot of those final drives out there.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #32
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
New Final Drive Last Summer

Was on a trip and pressed for time, so had a brand new drive installed last July. Noticed now that there is a tiny bit of play that you mentioned in the rear wheel. Minimal, but certainly there.This drive has only 12,000km on it. I will try to hit them up for warranty.

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #33
tordog
tordog

Oddometer: 32
Very good write up and pics. Did you ever see any metalic looking gear oil or shiney stuff on speedo pick up?
tordog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #34
BikeGene
n00b to this ****

Oddometer: 1
About that bearing....

Hmm...it seems to me that the large ball bearing inboard of the bevel gear is sealed on BOTH sides. If so, this would prevent any of the gear oil from lubing it, suggesting that it is a sealed bearing. That might explain the rust and dryness found. I wonder if this is the most frequent source of trouble with these drives once they've gathered some miles and the grease is depleted and/or water infiltrates. No amount of drive maintenance is going to help in this case since we're at the mercy of the Bearing Gods on this one. Why did BMW go this route? And what would be the possibility of leaving out the inboard seal (facing the oily side) to allow oil to access this bearing? Just wonderin'

BikeGene screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 10:49 AM Reason: correct bearing type
BikeGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #35
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 316
Incredible write up! I really enjoy seeing some serious skills being put into play like this.
That said, someday, I'd like to get a GS, but I don't have access to a machine shop and don't have fabricating skills anyway. Is there a way for the average Joe to replace the bearings in our own, or did that stop being possible after a certain year?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #36
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO View Post
You could always make detailed drawings of the fixtures and sell the drawings. That puts the fabrication on someone elses shoulders. If a person posesses the skills to make it themselves, all the better. I would be interested in a set of drawings. I am slowly ramping up doing bike repair as a side job, and there are alot of those final drives out there.
I'm with this guy.

Make some drawings of the fixtures you made, I'd be interested. I'm local in SoCA, if you need a draftsman, I can do it in Solidworks for you.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #37
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 350
wi
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidhunter View Post
Incredible write up! I really enjoy seeing some serious skills being put into play like this.
That said, someday, I'd like to get a GS, but I don't have access to a machine shop and don't have fabricating skills anyway. Is there a way for the average Joe to replace the bearings in our own, or did that stop being possible after a certain year?
Yes, doable without fabricating fixtures. Fixtures just made the job a bit easier. Without it, you just need to be more creative. Remember, if it's been built by man, it can be taken apart and rebuilt by one too.

If you have the mechanical skills and knowledge, all year and model FD can be rebuilt by a home mechanic. Do a search on this forum, there are a few write-ups on the job.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGene View Post
Hmm...it seems to me that the large ball bearing inboard of the bevel gear is sealed on BOTH sides. If so, this would prevent any of the gear oil from lubing it, suggesting that it is a sealed bearing. That might explain the rust and dryness found. I wonder if this is the most frequent source of trouble with these drives once they've gathered some miles and the grease is depleted and/or water infiltrates. No amount of drive maintenance is going to help in this case since we're at the mercy of the Bearing Gods on this one. Why did BMW go this route? And what would be the possibility of leaving out the inboard seal (facing the oily side) to allow oil to access this bearing? Just wonderin'
I'm about to do my second roller bearing on my 07 GSA at 54,000 mi., would love to have those pullers

I understand BMW has re-designed the newer FD's, bathing the bearing with the gear oil.... The way I see it, if we ride them as they should be ridden over the mountain and thru the woods, these sealed bearings don't have a chance! Once I fix this one, and get the Rhino payed off, I'm gonna start a savings acct. for a new FD. Wish me luck!

Oh, there is an allowed amount of 1mm of play at the rim from the axcel.....
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #39
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,504
ElGringo,

How is the rebuilt FD holding up. Nice story and pictures, reminds me of Yankee workshop. Norm had a tool for everything.

My FD failed on my 08 GSA 31,000 miles. I was hearing the rebuilds weren't holding up because the FD housing loses some anodizing when the bearing is pushed out then reinstalled. You hear all kinds of stories.

How many miles on the rebuilt FD. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone-Native View Post
I'm about to do my second roller bearing on my 07 GSA at 54,000 mi., would love to have those pullers

I understand BMW has re-designed the newer FD's, bathing the bearing with the gear oil.... The way I see it, if we ride them as they should be ridden over the mountain and thru the woods, these sealed bearings don't have a chance! Once I fix this one, and get the Rhino payed off, I'm gonna start a savings acct. for a new FD. Wish me luck!

Oh, there is an allowed amount of 1mm of play at the rim from the axcel.....
The trannys on these bikes come with sealed bearings too. Why they choose to keep fresh and frequently-changed tranny lube away from the bearings makes absolutely NO sense to me.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
The trannys on these bikes come with sealed bearings too. Why they choose to keep fresh and frequently-changed tranny lube away from the bearings makes absolutely NO sense to me.
Planned obsolescence ???????
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #42
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
Planned obsolescence ???????
Maybe so. That makes as much sense as any other explanation I've seen.

Wonder if it's the same on the new WC version trannys?
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #43
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,436
Whoa! Awesome thread!
I've got the same bike - no FD issues yet, but this really caught my eye!

Elgrimgo - did you make prints for those fixtures? This is great stuff, and as mentioned above, I'd be willing to be the draftsman for these fixtures - if you still have the dimensions....

Awesome job on the fix - $3000?!?! WTF.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,360
first class write-up - excellent post! thank you
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #45
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,578
Why not make a couple of sets of "Hole in the middle" FD tools, jigs and fixtures and rent them with a deposit to be refunded when the tools are returned intact. You could also include a write up instruction for the repair of the FD in question...kind of a JVB tech video for the holy FD rebuilds.

Jim, maybe you could partner up with the originator of the tools and make a go of it...

Heck, I'll bet some independent BMW repair shops would be interested in these tools and repair instructions if they were available commercially.

I agree with the poster who said, "If it was built by man, it can be repaired by man". And, just possibly, the repaired FD is more reliable than the factory OE unit.

This was the case with an old '76 Volvo auto transmission I had replaced under warranty...the rebuilt units had better service life than the original OE transmission. These transmissions were rebuilt at the tech center in NJ by Volvo techs in training.
def is offline   Reply With Quote