ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Oddometer: 47
Dalton / Calhoun GA trail suggestions?

Purchased my WR250R a few weeks ago and I'm looking to explore anything legal for OHV traffic. I've been finding plenty of fun trails and forest roads, but signs aren't always posted to denote whether or not I'm on private property, hiking-only trails, etc.

Google turns up some larger trail systems in the surrounding areas (which I am also interested in), but I want stuff as close to home as possible for quick, 1-2 hour after-work adventures. There are many trails in the John's Mountain / Pinhoti / Red Wine Cove areas, but I'm not sure which ones allow motorized traffic.

Do you have to apply for specific OHV / ORV tags to ride off-road in Georgia? If so, where do you apply for the tags?
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperject View Post
Purchased my WR250R a few weeks ago and I'm looking to explore anything legal for OHV traffic. I've been finding plenty of fun trails and forest roads, but signs aren't always posted to denote whether or not I'm on private property, hiking-only trails, etc.

Google turns up some larger trail systems in the surrounding areas (which I am also interested in), but I want stuff as close to home as possible for quick, 1-2 hour after-work adventures. There are many trails in the John's Mountain / Pinhoti / Red Wine Cove areas, but I'm not sure which ones allow motorized traffic.

Do you have to apply for specific OHV / ORV tags to ride off-road in Georgia? If so, where do you apply for the tags?
For National Forest:
Here are the OHV places, you don't nee a tag to ride them, but once you step out onto a forest service road you need to be street legal:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...st- OHV Riding , You have several places nearby.

Other than those places you have to be street legal and doesn't matter if you are on a motorcyle or in a mini-van, these are the roads allowed:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...l Forest- Maps
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Redwines Cove

Few people know about this place...and that's on purpose...it's a very special place and the locals rightfully protect the place.

Take Redwine Cove Road, Over the bridge to first road on the right which is Stover Creek (watch out for dogs that will chase you.) You can go quite aways out that road but some places have real deep big rocks at crick crossings. There is only one side road (on the left, about a mile in) but it is usually gated, unfortunately probably the best road (goes to top of mountain).

The best road is the one behind Redwine Cemetery but it is usually gated and closed. I think the locals put the gate up due to some vandals turning over tombstone. So many outsiders have littered and screwed with the area is the reason for the gates.

I was at Redwine's Cove today.

Other Option is take Hill City Rd to Resaca/Lafayette Road. When you hit Lafayette Road go 1/4 mile and look for Shooting Range road on the right. That road goes up to Chestnut Mountain and have several forks...rougher than a forest road but doable.

Your best road in that general area is Cohutta Wildlife Management area. Go to Cisco, north of Chatsworth, can't miss it BUT get a forest service map at the store across from the Cisco church...or you WILL GET LOST. At least 100 miles of forest service roads. Last time I was there saw 20+ deer, 2 large wildboars, and one black bear...all within about 1 hour.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 04:47 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
thinking bout hitting cohuttas tommorrow, anybody else riding ?
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Cohutta

I can't, was up that direction today. If you do go solo, get a map. Very easy to get lost once you've passed two or three cross roads. Most roads are simply a number and look the same. A couple of mountain lakes that are pretty neat. I assure you other DS riders will be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLdog View Post
thinking bout hitting cohuttas tommorrow, anybody else riding ?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
I can't, was up that direction today. If you do go solo, get a map. Very easy to get lost once you've passed two or three cross roads. Most roads are simply a number and look the same. A couple of mountain lakes that are pretty neat. I assure you other DS riders will be there.
Maybe nxt time........ i gotta Garmin colorado 400 t ............. it is awesome for DS riding. ALL roads are on it maybe not marked but they are there. lithium batteries last 2 10 hr rides..........thanks to browndog and dualingdalton.
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
Here are the OHV places, you don't nee a tag to ride them, but once you step out onto a forest service road you need to be street legal.
Thanks for the maps; very helpful until I have my GPS set up.

I was under the impression these forest roads either connected with one another, or at least had actual outlets onto other paved roads. Not the case with most of them; they just dead-end at the top of a mountain or the middle of the woods. I've been riding them all week nonetheless...

Quote:
Few people know about this place...and that's on purpose...it's a very special place and the locals rightfully protect the place.
I rode 207 (the straight shot from Stover Creek, and yes, I was chased by approximately 900 dogs) and 207A (the left turn up the mountain) on Tuesday afternoon. I didn't know there was another road behind the cemetery, though. That whole area is very pretty; I tried to purchase property back there some years ago.

After work on Friday I rode 212, 212A, and 212B (the system right and left of the shooting range off 136). I'm told the single-track that starts at the end of 212B takes you to the S-curve railroad crossing in Hill City; I scouted the trail on foot and a) didn't know whether or not I was trespassing, and b) it was in bad shape, with too many mud pits and fallen trees to pass given my current skill level.

Today I rode 336, an ill-maintained forest road off Carbondale, just north of Hill City. I can't tell for sure, but I may have crossed private property to access it, and I didn't make it more than a mile before a fallen tree completely blocked my path.

I then searched for 233 from Hwy. 136, which is supposed to connect to Pocket Road, but I couldn't find the entrance. Looping around and heading south on Pocket, however, I found and rode both 232 and 233 (which no longer reaches all the way to 136, if it ever did). Spent time in some beautiful single track at the end of both roads, too.

Heading south on Pocket Road, I missed 208 and 702 on the right, unless these are in fact the roads that lead to the John's Mountain lookout and the Keown Falls trail head (in which case I rode these Monday afternoon; 208 is in bad shape).

A little further south off Pocket, I rode both 231 and 231A, both of which are the best manicured of the forest roads I've ridden thus far.

Running low on gas, I rode up and over Horn Mountain, bouncing around the boulders blocking access to its peak to rest and take a few pictures. Heading back into the Resaca area, I hit my final trail of the day, and almost ate it in an unexpectedly deep water-crossing. Made it through and captured this meeting of the machines...
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Cove, Hill City and Dogs

Dogs are always there.

Road back to the RR Tracks & S curve in Hill City is definately private property...but good people that would probably not say anything.

From the left fork of the Shooting range road you can overlook Redwine's Cove from the top of the mountain. The best road in Redwine Cove is the one by the cemetery. Unfortunately a small few have littered and really abused that road so the locals either put the gate up or got the game warden to put up the gate because it is public property.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Quote:
The best road in Redwine Cove is the one by the cemetery. Unfortunately a small few have littered and really abused that road so the locals either put the gate up or got the game warden to put up the gate because it is public property.
You're sure it's public property? It isn't on the map of National Forest roads. When was the last time you rode it?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Rode over to the gate beside the cemetery this afternoon and it's expertly barricaded with concrete and cable. There are also four or five "private property" signs posted.

I wonder who I could contact to confirm ownership of the land... Whitfield County tax commissioner, perhaps... if the road is indeed open to the public and someone is denying me access... HULK SMASH...