ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do Loud pipes save lives?
Yes 160 18.43%
No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #151
JDLuke
Ravening for delight
 
JDLuke's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
This is the part I find most interesting about your argument that you have brought up more than once in this thread.

By your logic anybody that does not like the straight pipe throttle blipping attention whores is less than a man to you and must have gotten their opinion from their wife.
Hey, belittling is a kind of argument
__________________
Why did I drink all of the ingredients for vomit?
"Used to be Man vs. Nature.. then Man vs. Space.. then Man vs. the Moon. Now it's Man vs. Food" - Dalar
"you cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into." - Jonathan Swift
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #152
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
But the question was do loud pipes help. Being heard is better then not being heard. I don't think you can debate that.

I don't care if they hear me or not... For that matter if you blindfolded the lot of them I would still ride. If you can't or don't ride in such a way as to be able to avoid the rolling hunks of steel that you are sharing the road with you should not ride period. That is why I believe Loud pipes do NOT save lives.

p.s. I feel the same about overly bright lights and Alien Vomit Green riding gear. (at least the green stuff doesn't piss people off)
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #153
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Finland-Australia
Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Of course... but learn/follow all of that *and* have loud pipes, you are at least a tiny bit safer.



That's completely irrelevant. The question was "do loud pipes save lives" not "do cruisers with loud pipes save lives".

My KTM has a very loud pipe, especially in the power band. When I'm pushing it hard you can hear me coming in the bush for at least 10 minutes before I turn up. The bike came with that pipe, and I intend to fit something quieter. As much as I hate it, it is clearly a safety feature... I've often turned a blind corner to find 4WD pulled over waiting for me to pass.

If I had a quiet pipe, I may have met the 4WD in the middle of said blind corner, which is perfectly fine because I always take the corner at a safe speed. Unless something unexpected happens, like a kangaroo jumping out at me in mid corner, and after it knocks me off the bike, I may fall under the front wheel of the 4WD. Or something like that.

Loud pipes *are* safer than quiet pipes. The only question is how much safer.
In early '90, i had KTM 500 xc two stroke, and on one of my trips to brindabella, mountain range near Canberra OZ, the exhaust pipe cracked near the cylinder, the noise it made was infernal. On a road cut into the hill, i came around this tight bend, on a good slide and there was group of women bush walker's. Needless to say, it scared the living daylight's out of them. As i felt like an idiot, i stopped the bike and apologised. I asked them if they heard me coming, they reckoned they only heard the bike as i was coming around the bend. Funny thing the noise, on a calm lake, you can hear people talk a mile across the water, on a hilly,forested country, maybe a only a corner's distance!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #154
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris
 
Purcell69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
But the question was do loud pipes help. Being heard is better then not being heard. I don't think you can debate that.
So we should all have loud pipes that drown each other out. Loud pipe on your Camaro, to keep the trucks from merging into you, loud pipes on your scooter, to keep the minivan from merging into you, a world filled with loud pipes drowing each other out. Yeah, that's the solution. How 'bout learning to ride in a self-preserving manner rather than relying on a "hey look at me, penis extender".

-Joe
__________________
The Marines...When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight.

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #155
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I argue on Harley forums that we need to moderate ourselves, before the government comes down with a hammer.
Too late- or are you not paying attention to what happened in California?

I will grant that emitting a constant, unfocused, annoying noise from a vehicle, mainly projecting to the rear, may have some value in aiding other's situational awareness. If it's really a safety feature, everyone should do that- all bikes, all trucks, buses and cars. Bicycles and pedestrians, too. There, problem solved, right?

Hm. Maybe it's better to have some situational awareness, operate your own vehicle so as to avoid the scenario, and employ a tool designed for the job when you can't. IOW, don't ride where they can hit you, and use a horn if you need it.

If you don't trust OEM meepers, then go find some horns. As a class, motorcyclists are always bolting on different this and that. Horns are easy.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #156
flak
Beastly Adventurer
 
flak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: south jersey
Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Were people bitchng this much about muscle cars?
nah, muscle cars get a pass...mainly because most folks can appreciate such a car as being virile, capable, and attractive - pirate bikers don't warrant the same admiration and respect because seeing a hobo dirtbag atop an overly loud bike that makes a whole lot of noise when it's barely moving just isn't the same thing - oh and muscle cars don't travel in packs on the way to the bar either, so there's that

I think a bike should sound like a bike, not an ear splitting racket - like it's got a pair, but not trying to overcompensate - I have aftermarket cans on my bikes because they were rejetted, never over the top loud - I live up the road from a drag track in the woods and I can routinely hear them racing from my house, so it's not the sounds of winding out a motor that I object to - the "loud for the sake of being loud" thing is the problem
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #157
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,509
The only traffic noise I ever hear at my house is from screaming unmuffled sport bikes AND thundering unmuffled cruisers on Interstate 97 and US 50. Both of those highways are roughly 3/4's of a mile through woods from my house. I rarely hear any other type of vehicle except sirens. In other words the ONLY traffic noise I routinely hear is from motorcycles.

Since these are among the most heavily traveled highways in the country, it tells me that motorcycles are the primary noise offenders. It may be a little slanted that way here because we have emissions inspection for cars here that make it hard to go unmuffled. But still, I don't ever hear diesel trucks or rice racers. It is always motorcycles. We are the jerks out there.
__________________
525EXC, 640 Enduro, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #158
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullSails View Post
makes me think people are actually out to get the loud pipers.
This.

Loud pipes = +1 to safety of that one rider (rider may get noticed)
Loud pipes = -5 to safety of all motorcyclists (everyone else gets hugely pissed off, agression/impatience to motorcyclists).


I believe that the amount of hostility towards motorcyclists caused by loud pipes easily outweighs the benefit loud pipes may have to the safety of the rider.


If a negative point comes up in conversations that I have with others about motorcyclists, it is first and foremost "noise" and "loud pipes".

It is especially grating to me, because there are so many other safety measures (conspicuity due to road position/clothing/lights, alertness, horn) that do not profoundly and systematically piss almost everyone off, but do keep the rider safer.


So even if only considered on singular and objective merit, I think loud pipes do more harm than good.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #159
lonesoldier84
SuperFlanker
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 109
I agree. Harley Davidson makes terrible motorcycles.
__________________
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.

FZ6 vs North America:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=15686437
lonesoldier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #160
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kbetts's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Location, Location
Oddometer: 1,259
I've been riding UJM's since 1980 and I say Harley Davidson makes EXCELLENT motorcycles. Maybe they aren't to your taste, but the quality and engineering is heads above anything coming out of Asia.

Back to loud pipes......

The noise produced by loud pipes is in the lower end of the human sound spectrum. As any audiophile knows, bass is NON-directional. You can stick the sub-woofer anywhere in the room and it just won't matter.

Because exhaust noise is also non-directional, traffic may know there is a motorcycle near them but they will have no idea where the noise is coming from unless it's moving relatively to the listener where the Doppler effect can be processed to give a clue to direction. That means it doesn't have to be loud, just audible and moving.

Loud pipes make angry drivers and little else.

EDIT: Oh, ya.... If you ride a motorcycle and expect drivers to see OR HEAR you then you're an idiot. So what do Hi-Vis or loud pipes matter? Ride like you're invisible and trust NO ONE and NO THING to keep you safe including your loud pipes or your neon gear.
__________________
We're all sheep gone astray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.

Kbetts screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 05:08 PM
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #161
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts View Post
the quality and engineering is heads above anything coming out of Asia.



Ok.

The quality IS good. The engineering? If HD's engineering were "heads above" anything Asian, they wouldn't still be using that infernal V-twin in their damn motorcycles. They might have USD forks on some machines and suspension, frame and brake design that allowed the bikes to handle, go and stop better.

BUELL was impressive engineering. HD is the same old shit painted different colors every year (with the exception of the XR1200). Oh sure every 20 years they might update a frame to add some stiffness or put a different spring in a fork. But the engineering is stale and outdated. I bet you the engineers have ALL KINDS of great ideas -- until the PR weenies say that nobody will buy the bikes with those features because they aren't traditional enough. :puke

HD's engineering COULD be fantastic. And it probably is behind closed doors. Unfortunately, we'll never get to see it.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 06:36 PM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #162
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
The quality IS good. The engineering? Not so sure about that.
Well, since a lot of the engineering (and parts) comes out of Asia these days...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #163
Zerk
DILLIGAF
 
Zerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I don't care if they hear me or not... For that matter if you blindfolded the lot of them I would still ride. If you can't or don't ride in such a way as to be able to avoid the rolling hunks of steel that you are sharing the road with you should not ride period. That is why I believe Loud pipes do NOT save lives.

]
This is where we have always disagreed. You are in denial about the dangers of motorcycles.

Even riding defensively, there are times where you are completely defenseless, Even pass a car a 100mph, you are going to be his blind spot for some period of time.
__________________
Berserker
In my travelling heart, there's an urge to see

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #164
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Callahan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific Rim
Oddometer: 1,179
I changed to loud pipes because it would have saved my ribs and wrist and bike.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #165
Zerk
DILLIGAF
 
Zerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
This is the part I find most interesting about your argument that you have brought up more than once in this thread.

By your logic anybody that does not like the straight pipe throttle blipping attention whores is less than a man to you and must have gotten their opinion from their wife.
I just like to mention how so many men are pussies these days, and are wrecking it for real men, women except these neutered men.



Also there is a difference between loud and straight pipes. Some people either don't want to admit this or have no idea how a motorcycle is built.
__________________
Berserker
In my travelling heart, there's an urge to see

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014