No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #211
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
The time spent there is minimal with a heightened sense of my surroundings either slowing down or passing to get out of the blind spot rather than to cruise along and expect the sound of my bike to make the driver aware of my presence.
People have problems with logic.

Nobody said, to just cruise along complacent.

If you think it is safe to fly by paying attention, if you add to that the possibility of them hearing you, you added more safety.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.

Zerk screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 07:07 PM
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #212
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Loud pipes do save lives...

Oh, you meant on motorcicles...

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #213
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
Have you seen a stock KLX exhaust

of course it needs a better aftermarket exhaust otherwise there ain't enough air leaving that 1/4 in tube.
Hey mang, be nice. It's 19/32 not 1/4, that's a HUGE difference.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #214
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
As the whole argument for "loud pipes save lives" is biased on the premise that any additional conspicuousness, no matter how antisocial or limited in effect still increases safety.
I figured to show how these folks could attract even more attention to themselves, and be even safer.

The ultimate safety riding suit, bright, noticeable, well padded, and the perfect social statement for the rider with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. As a bonus they could get a "rain suit" at any drug store.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #215
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
True story

Rider, sees car about to pull out in front of her. She

A. Covers brake, determines and implements evasive action, sounds horn and survives.

B Revs engine so car will hear and stop.

If I add Harley rider, I am sure you will pick B

As she did. Bike totaled, some broken bones, and she just does not understand why the pipes did not work. Not even when explained to her.

Yes, she is blonde, but many of the guys in her club also do not understand. Right now she says she is not riding again. I hope this remain true.

Rod
How sad for her

I had to do the rev engine loudly, toot horn emphatically in a mall carpark yesterday ... but I also did the other things mentioned in 'A' too ... the Termis on the Duc sound awesome in a concrete cavern If I do all the above on my Harley will I still be a Harley riding doofus?
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #216
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzzy View Post
How sad for her

I had to do the rev engine loudly, toot horn emphatically in a mall carpark yesterday ... but I also did the other things mentioned in 'A' too ... the Termis on the Duc sound awesome in a concrete cavern If I do all the above on my Harley will I still be a Harley riding doofus?

Loudish Ducati - sounds like sex

Loud(ish) HD - sounds like ass

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #217
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post

Maybe you are sticking it in the wrong hole.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #218
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Maybe you are sticking it in the wrong hole.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #219
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
I don't care if they hear me or not... For that matter if you blindfolded the lot of them I would still ride. If you can't or don't ride in such a way as to be able to avoid the rolling hunks of steel that you are sharing the road with you should not ride period. That is why I believe Loud pipes do NOT save lives.
Fair enough, that's a valid argument, but I don't think our own actions are enough to render us 100% safe. If a car is driving under the speed limit in the slow lane, and I'm riding on the speed limit in the fast lane, there is a chance the car will suddenly swerve into my lane while I'm overtaking them. Assuming they serve too fast for me to hit the brakes, and there's nowhere for me to go (oncoming traffic or a concrete barrier next to me perhaps), what could I have done to avoid that? Aside from choosing not to overtake, there isn't any way to avoid being close to another car while riding in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
I believe that even if a tie-rod broke on a car I am passing suddenly throwing it in my direction I would be able to avoid it. Am I alone in this regard?
Yup, you're alone. If you changed "I would be able to avoid it" with "I almost certainly would be able to avoid it", then I'd agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I will grant that emitting a constant, unfocused, annoying noise from a vehicle, mainly projecting to the rear, may have some value in aiding other's situational awareness.
So did you vote "yes, they save lives" in the poll then? Because that's exactly what you just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward
If it's really a safety feature, everyone should do that- all bikes, all trucks, buses and cars. Bicycles and pedestrians, too. There, problem solved, right?
I haven't seen many people in this thread say they like loud pipes. So far as I can tell, most of us are either annoyed by them or don't mind but is considerate of the people who are annoyed. Also, I'd like to point out that "loud" is a relative term, so "loud pipes" inherently means "much louder than a typical car/bike/truck/pedestrian".

abhibeckert screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 06:36 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #220
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,487
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Fair enough, that's a valid argument, but I don't think our own actions are enough to render us 100% safe. .
I absolutely agree. There is never going to be a 100% safe in anything... I"ll live with the 98% safe while riding until I don't.

Quote:
Fair enough, that's a valid argument, but I don't think our own actions are enough to render us 100% safe. If a car is driving under the speed limit in the slow lane, and I'm riding on the speed limit in the fast lane, there is a chance the car will suddenly swerve into my lane while I'm overtaking them. Assuming they serve too fast for me to hit the brakes, and there's nowhere for me to go (oncoming traffic or a concrete barrier next to me perhaps), what could I have done to avoid that?
The little twisty thing on the right grip... It only turns so far. I go to it far more often than I ever consider using the brakes to get out of harms way. If I were to guess it would be around 85% throttle 15% Brake. Riding at higher RPM’s in the power/torque band of whatever you ride is a very important safety feature.

Quote:
Yup, you're alone. If you changed "I would be able to avoid it" with "I almost certainly would be able to avoid it", then I'd agree with you.
Agreed.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #221
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:

I agree there is no better sound than Ducati make's. My Norton 850 wasnt too bad either, in fact all the britt bike's sounded good!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #222
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:

Purrfect combination ?
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #223
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Well, since a lot of the engineering (and parts) comes out of Asia these days...
Asia... or Italy and India, apparently. Stolen from Motorcyclist:

Harley-Davidson—America’s oldest and largest motorcycle manufacturer—is apparently preparing to outsource some motorcycle production to India. Reliable sources in both India and Italy insist The Motor Company is developing an all-new, small-displacement V-twin platform that will be manufactured at H-D’s purpose-built, 70,000 sq.-ft. factory outside Delhi. This new machine will let Harley sidestep ban on importing under-800cc bikes to India—one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing motorcycle markets—and also provide American dealers with a much-needed replacement for the entry-level Buell Blast.

If the photo there is representative, I like.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #224
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Fair enough, that's a valid argument, but I don't think our own actions are enough to render us 100% safe.
Youre relative safety started going downhill when you got out of bed this morning. You can work to manage that, or not. .

Quote:
HOW you think about things and the human brain's ability to delude itself is important. If DAKEZ thinks he can, he's more likely to make it than if he thinks he probably can. In the latter case, there's a point where doubt creeps in. Once you start to think you might not be able to do something, you're a self-fulfilling prophecy waiting to happen.

Having said that- it's important you back up your beliefs. There are a lot of people who think they can, but don't think about what it really means. Too many of those ride motorcycles.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #225
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Asia... or Italy and India, apparently. Stolen from Motorcyclist:

Harley-Davidson—America’s oldest and largest motorcycle manufacturer—is apparently preparing to outsource some motorcycle production to India. Reliable sources in both India and Italy insist The Motor Company is developing an all-new, small-displacement V-twin platform that will be manufactured at H-D’s purpose-built, 70,000 sq.-ft. factory outside Delhi. This new machine will let Harley sidestep ban on importing under-800cc bikes to India—one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing motorcycle markets—and also provide American dealers with a much-needed replacement for the entry-level Buell Blast.

If the photo there is representative, I like.
I don't think outsourcing is the right word, unless they bring them back here. I beleive they are building them to sell in India.

I am very pro American made, but that doesn't really bother me.