No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #601
HD1200R
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
Thank god cruisers cant go off highway. Imagine sitting next to a nice camp fire, relaxing after a great day of riding. Your camped way back in the woods, the only noise is from the birds and the fire. Then you hear a rumble off in the distance, as the rumble gets louder you realize what it is 4 guys on cruisers. It seems like it takes forever for the sound of the bikes to disappear so you can get back to enjoying the natural sounds (no birds now they all got scared off). So with no hard feelings to RTWDoug please keep your cruisers on the highway.
Don't forget the ricer crowd that you hear from miles away. Like a group of Mosquitos buzzing down the road. As they get closer, the only hope that grows is that they blast by at 100+ mph before your ears start bleeding from their high pitch annoyance.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #602
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
nobody is bitching about stock HARLEY pipes... they are fine it is STRAIGHT pipes without baffles!!!!!! A loud KLR is quiet compared to stock pipes on a harley.
I was starting to like you. What do you mean? Loud is loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
The loud pipes provide the safety so helmets and ATGATT aren't really necessary.

Regardless of why we run loud pipes, we do look cool.

Off-topic editorializing:

Some call us posers as we ride our louder than stock bikes somewhat slowly clad in working class attire with blue jeans, leather jackets, and bandanas on our head.

Yea, maybe we are a little ridiculous looking. But no more so than the guys in full ATGATT with their clean as a whistle dual sport decked out as if the're crossing the globe while sipping coffee at Starbucks, or the guys on the super sportbikes in their one-piece full race leathers riding like the're on a racetrack.

Heck over in the GSpot Oil Head Boxer forum there is a thread asking if a BMW GS is a good road bike and would be Ok for someone with no intention of going off-road. Every one of the replies is a resounding yes, and many freely admit they rarely if ever take their GS/GSA off-pavement. Personally I have no problem with that but it is afterall a bike that is designed for off-pavement use and I'm guessing a lot of guys bought it because it looks "cool" to them and the unusual apperance draws attention from other riders and non-riders alike.

The GS/GSA is the motorcycle equivalent of a H3/H2 Hummer.

Would buying a GS/GSA with no intention of going off-pavement be a "feeble attempt at looking cool" in your opinion?

We all enjoy riding bikes for different reasons, none which are more valid or important than any other.
Great post
Quote:
"The loud pipe shit goes both ways but it's only the HD/Cruiser riders that get called out for it. "

Wow are you out of touch. The off road world has been bashed time and time again for this. Thats why off road Bikes come stock with 94d pipes. We have been fighting load pipes for years and it shows even performance pipes are below the 94d. Most of us have made the change in attempts to keep our areas open.
Another.

I go with free flowing exhaust, because I modify the bikes and want more power. And yes, if they came with more power, maybe I wouldn't. But Harley riders do like to modify there bikes, probably more then the other brands.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #603
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
I'd argue that the GS series is not an offroad bike but an all-roads bike. The bikes have a versatility that no cruiser can even approach and I suspect that most GS riders don't give a shit about 'looking cool'.
y
I don't get this. If I wanted an only street bike, I would not choice the GS. Maybe the RT, something with more fairing.

It seems all bikes have there costumes, and we all make fun other guys costume.

I do laugh a bit at the Pavement Queen GSs.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #604
Zerk
DILLIGAF

GS is on my list. Before I registered, I read about them here. And there were quite a few people saying they never took them off road. One of the comments echoed was they were to expensive.

Thats like buying a rifle and saying its to expensive to fire.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #605
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I don't get this. If I wanted an only street bike, I would not choice the GS. Maybe the RT, something with more fairing.

It seems all bikes have there costumes, and we all make fun other guys costume.

I do laugh a bit at the Pavement Queen GSs.
That 'pavement queen' GS will run rings around anything that the vaunted MoCo produces and will be more comfortable while doing it. The only thing it won't do better is sound like an unbalanced v-twin.

The GS is indeed capable of off pavement riding, but what it excels at is 'rough pavement' riding.

I can see that you are aprehensive about the GS. You are a cruiser rider of short stature and have probably never stood up on the pegs. If you had, the GS would probably be more to your liking.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #606
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
That 'pavement queen' GS will run rings around anything that the vaunted MoCo produces and will be more comfortable while doing it.
Of course you have owned several of the MoCo's bikes in addition to the GS to back a statement like that up.

I have and disagree.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #607
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 598
And hence my philosophy, don't dis other bikes unless you have owned them as well. It's just poor form.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #608
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw View Post
Of course you have owned several of the MoCo's bikes in addition to the GS to back a statement like that up.

I have and disagree.
Do you disagree with the performance aspects of the GS relative to the MoCo's line or the comfort aspects. Comfort is relative; I like a tall bike that has suspension and ergonomics compatible with standing on the pegs. In my opinion, the MoCo offers nothing in that category.

And no, I haven't owned any of the MoCo's products so I cannont back up my statement from actual experience. I do know that no bike that the MoCo offers at present, has the performance or versatility of the GS.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #609
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

"Performance" is a different concept for many.
The replies in this thread and the rationalization of their choices reflects that.

One side often does not or is not willing to grasp that of the other.

Buggah.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #610
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Yankee View Post
"Performance" is a different concept for many.
The replies in this thread and the rationalization of their choices reflects that.

One side often does not or is not willing to grasp that of the other.

Buggah.
Excellent point.

I have a negative bias toward 'cruiser' type bikes and it shows when I post, especially when the topic is noise related.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #611
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,547
There is loud and there is ear splitting loud. Like the difference between someone shouting from across the street and someone shouting in your ear.
Most of the people you want to hear you will not because they are off in their own little world, and the others you are not concerned with that DO hear you, you will piss off.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #612
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Do you disagree with the performance aspects of the GS relative to the MoCo's line or the comfort aspects. Comfort is relative; I like a tall bike that has suspension and ergonomics compatible with standing on the pegs. In my opinion, the MoCo offers nothing in that category.

And no, I haven't owned any of the MoCo's products so I cannont back up my statement from actual experience. I do know that no bike that the MoCo offers at present, has the performance or versatility of the GS.

cheers,
melby
I have laid out my arguement of Harley vs BMW several times here on ADV, So as not to jack a thread and since you have admitted that you can't get by your preconcieved notions and check out the make for yourself, I leave you to enjoy your GS.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #613
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Fuck, "tribes" will never, ever get it.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #614
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
That 'pavement queen' GS will run rings around anything that the vaunted MoCo produces and will be more comfortable while doing it. y
Harley excels at making road sofas. You got a PQ, don't ya? Little sensitive.

Ya you did that all that suspension, for riding over the neighbors cat??

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #615
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Its speed bike weekend at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. Lots of loud sport bikes. Though I saw loud ass dirt bike with lights, I am sure the people on Main street, throwed roses at him.