No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #706
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque_machete View Post
yeah, he's just playing devil's advocate here. He'll get bored with us at some point.
Probably not, because I don't share your thoughts, and loud noises don't scare me.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #707
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 473
maybe instead of having the pipes pointed away, they should be pointed directly at the riders head. the problem would go away within 500m.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #708
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Again, lets try forming an opinion backed up with an arguement.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #709
panorton
Charming as F**k

or i could be like you and accuse any opposition of having less than adequate genitals, homosexual tendencies, (not that there's anything wrong with that) limp wrists, an office job, not owning a real man's motorcycle, or anything else not accepted in the HOG/BIKER/CHOPPER manual of stereotypical manliness.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #710
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 577
the only thing loud pipes do is piss people off. the only thing loud cars do is piss people off. the only thing loud trucks do is piss people off. do you see a pattern here?
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #711
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Myth busters busted it. Emergency vehicles outrun their sirens at 60 mph.
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #712
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Probably not, because I don't share your thoughts, and loud noises don't scare me.
They don't scare me either, Zerk. They hurt my ears and make me cringe in pain. Actually a big difference. You see, I'm not deaf yet and have no intentions of ever becoming that way. You seem to be the drama queen as I said that I take my eyes off the rider for a second and that cringe could be dangerous. You are the one who said I would drive into a tree because of loud pipes. That's why I drive with my windows up...so the moron with the obnoxiously loud pipes doesn't hurt my ears, thus, I don't hear them, therefore, no, they do not save lives.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #713
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,910
Quote:
Also like I said, if loud noises scare you to the point you lose control, maybe road travel isn't for you.
Who said anything about losing control or frothing at the mouth or running off the road? We have just stated our take on the subject. YOU are the one who started throwing names when you realized none of us are going to change our opinions on the subject. If you want to be taken seriously, act like you have some sense.

Quote:
Someone has to ground you drama queens.
Where did you get the term "drama queen" and how does it relate to this discussion and why do you have to ground anyone? Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm sure you will) but last I checked this was a public forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton
are you serious? or just a troll? i honestly can't tell.
I vote troll. Next poll...Is Zerk a real person or someones fake noob?

Quote:
I am making a point.
Really, and what might that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
Why wear a helemt, just learn to ride.
See, This is what I referenced above. You have resorted to posting nonsense and you expect people to take you seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
See last reply....

The question was/is "do loud pipes save lives", not "do loud pipes scare you"?

For the record loud noises suck! If you like them, more power to you but ...to each his own. Nobody has berated YOU for liking loud noises. Don't berate US for not liking loud noises...OK?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #714
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
You can make the argument that they are not worth the benefit. You can argue that sound only travels one way. Learn to ride isn't an argument.

I think there are alot of drama queens here. I think there is some benefit to them. I think we need to exercise throttle control to not piss people off. I think we tuned correctly they add more power.

But if a loud noise scares you to the point you lose control of your vehicle, like some of the drama queens, claim, then you should be riding the bus.
If somebody walks up to you and spits in your face, there is no real harm done but I'll bet you would go into "drama queen" mode, and be looking for a fight.

Loud pipes that are loud enough to be heard in another vehicle are like spitting in the face of non riders, it doesn't cause any real harm but People and communities are starting to look for a fight, we live in a new era of social networking, youtube, and viral social activism.

I'm a motor head, engine noise rarely bothers me, but I can see which way the wind is blowing. If unskilled, insecure, inconsiderate riders don't stop using noise pollution to compensate for their emotional shortcomings, we are all going to pay.

Splitting hairs over their placebo safety benefit is just absurd. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #715
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque_machete View Post
They don't scare me either, Zerk. They hurt my ears and make me cringe in pain.
What do you do when ambulance goes by? I just can't imagine wandering this world, and being hurt by such things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

The question was/is "do loud pipes save lives", not "do loud pipes scare you"?
?
Yes the question was do loud pipes add any benefit to your safety. 90% of the people answered they don't like them or learn to ride. That is not the question.

Does having people aware of you help you? Of course it does. Is it worth pissing people off, is not the question.

But like I said, cars have been running headers and glasspacks forever. This is just a matter of you don't like the other team.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #716
Zerk
DILLIGAF

There was a post on here, that loud noises confuse or frighten them so much, it creates more danger. If thats true, and not drama, then that person should take the bus and not be driving any motor vehicle.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #717
panorton
Charming as F**k

Quote:

Yes the question was do loud pipes add any benefit to your safety. 90% of the people answered they don't like them or learn to ride. That is not the question.

wrong again. the question was "Do loud pipes save lives?" it's right at the top of the page.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #718
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
or i could be like you and accuse any opposition of having less than adequate genitals, homosexual tendencies, (not that there's anything wrong with that) limp wrists, an office job, not owning a real man's motorcycle, or anything else not accepted in the HOG/BIKER/CHOPPER manual of stereotypical manliness.
I've never mentioned brands, unlike alot of people on here, I like motorcycles. I have made accusations about limp wrists and office jobs though. I suspect there are a few office jobs and students here.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #719
Zerk
DILLIGAF

When on Harley sites, I speak out against loud pipes, saying we need to use throttle control.

For those who accuse me of being a troll, I came to this site to do research before I rode to AK and Arctic Circle, in chaps. So lets measure dicks. Lots of talk of riding on cloudy days. Is that it?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #720
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I would ride without Headlight, Brake light, Turn Signals... If the law allowed.
Is this your safety spokesman?