Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #797
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby
So you're telling me that my K1200R which produces ~140rwhp, is performance limited by the stock exhaust? A full tune with aftermarket pipe and PowerCommander barely nets over 150rwhp, a whole 7% gain. HOLY COW! WTF am I thinking, I now have to go out and spend big bucks on a full exhaust plus a custom fuel map, dyno tuning, etc. With the new parts I can enjoy sub 10sec 1/4 mile acceleration and also annoy anyone within earshot, plus burn more fuel to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A little different than:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby
I know for certain that the bike I currently ride has no performance limitations with the stock exhaust fitted.
melby

Assuming that your 7% number is correct it certainly does not = 0 (as in "no performance limitations"

Besides I have read it is fairly easy to squeeze and extra 10% out of it. You may not want to and that is fine... Nobody needs to IMO but the bike is choked up a bit from the factory.
So exactly which performance metric is being limited by the stock, EPA compliant, exhaust and induction systems? Is it maximum speed, 0-60 acceleration, 1/4 mile time, 70-100 roll-on? Would it even be possible for a mere mortal such as myself to even tell the difference between 140rwhp and 150rwhp? I know for certain that the bike would be louder; maybe I could then claim that I was opting for safety with the full race exhaust, induction mods and power commander.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #798
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
Honestly, no, i can't open a catalogue and rebuild the engine of my bike. I have yet to find a catalogue dealing specifically with a War Dept. 1942 Norton 16H.

Did traditional hot-rodders build their cars from a catalogue? Nope.
What about your new bike? It just proves that people are wrenching on Harleys.

Unlike the guy below, Harley riders tend modify there bikes more. The lure of Harley is they are easy to work on. I don't know to many metric guys that even change there tires let alone rebuild the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
So exactly which performance metric is being limited by the stock, EPA compliant, exhaust and induction systems? Is it maximum speed, 0-60 acceleration, 1/4 mile time, 70-100 roll-on? y
Yes, those things. First thing to do is maybe to a auto class at a vocational center near you.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #799
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
What about your new bike? It just proves that people are wrenching on Harleys.

Unlike the guy below, Harley riders tend modify there bikes more. The lure of Harley is they are easy to work on. I don't know to many metric guys that even change there tires let alone rebuild the engine.

Yes, those things. First thing to do is maybe to a auto class at a vocational center near you.
Tell us again about your ride down the haul road, it's been a few minutes

Are you a union painter? That brush is pretty big you're painting with......
Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #800
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Tell us again about your ride down the haul road, it's been a few minutes

Are you a union painter? That brush is pretty big you're painting with......
I don't need to, my legend lives on.

So do you wrench on engines? Modify your stuff?

Even my Magna I rejetted. Warmed up better after that.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #801
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,604
Quote:
But on average more Harley riders wrench then metric.

Got proof, a link perhaps?

Go on a Harley forum, they will be talking cams and heads. How about here?

Try looking in a different section here...like "bikes". I have learned a lot about my bike from this website.

So I wouldn't poking fun.

Why not? It's the fun thing to do!

Can you open up a catalog and rebuild the engine of your bike?
I can go online and get everything I need...

Quote:
Dammit. you guys keep sucking me in to replying. I need to quit reading this thread.
You and me both...

Quote:
I don't need to, my legend lives on.

So you are already dead? Damn your good and funny too!

So do you wrench on engines? Modify your stuff?.

Can't speak for the other but I have been working on cars and trucks for over 30 years. Motorcycles just a few years. I never take anything I own to a mechanic unless it's absolutely necessary. I wouldn't consider re jetting and bolting on another exhaust pipe as "wrenching" though. That's pretty simple stuff...

bwalsh screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 07:17 AM
bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #802
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
...the kid was nice and calm - just then a really loud cruiser ripped by and immediately he began screaming as all the noise shook the air - I was already passing the scene by this point but I could still hear him screaming - I can just imagine what mom was thinking after this

I have a quiet, stock exhaust. However, in the last week I noticed TWO kids preemptively cover their ears when they see me. It really pisses me off that some jerk has left an impression on the kids and parents that all motorcycles are loud.

Also, I've been working with a group of riders in NYC for more than two years to try and persuade communities and city gov't that motorcycles are good and should be encouraged. Frankly, I'm just about out of hope. Every time I see a guy on a chopped out bike making a racket, I feel like any progress I have made is being unmade.

Never mind that those guys ride when the sun is warm, and only about 1-3k miles / year, and that I commute in on bike every day, all year (16k miles / year). People don't hear me. They only hear/notice the guy making an ass of himself.

So, when you ponder "do loud pipes save lives" you have to weigh the possible benefit to one rider against the possible cost/consequence to every other rider. That's why I try to tell any riders I speak to that, for better or worse, they are representing all riders.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #803
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
So do you wrench on engines? Modify your stuff?

Maybe we should start another poll to see what is considered wrenching. Changing jets is a far cry from rebuilding an engine.
The only things done to my new bike are a few farkles added on. Fortunatly when i bought it, it had a reasonable amount of power and won't need a rebuild annually. Unlike a harley. I'd like to see some stats as to how many hoglettes actually do their own work. probably 80% of the guys i hang out with can and do thier own work. But most of them are "Whitworth" guys. My wifes 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub (which won first in her class) was completely restored from the ground up by yours truly, with the exception of chrome and a cylinder bore. Would that be considered wrenching? Does that make me "cooler"? I f@#king hope not!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #804
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The only things done to my new bike are a few farkles added on. Fortunatly when i bought it, it had a reasonable amount of power and won't need a rebuild annually. Unlike a harley!

Ignorant much?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #805
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
The lure of Harley is they are easy to work on.
No statistics to back this up, other than my own personal observation, but it seems to me that the lure of Harley is that they've got the name Harley-Davidson on them.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #806
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
No statistics to back this up, other than my own personal observation, but it seems to me that the lure of Harley is that they've got the name Harley-Davidson on them.

Go ride one and get back to us.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #807
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Maybe we should start another poll to see what is considered wrenching. Changing jets is a far cry from rebuilding an engine.
The only things done to my new bike are a few farkles added on. Fortunatly when i bought it, it had a reasonable amount of power and won't need a rebuild annually. Unlike a harley. !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
. I wouldn't consider re jetting and bolting on another exhaust pipe as "wrenching" though. That's pretty simple stuff...
Notice in a DK or J&P you can buy cranks, cams, heads, ect. Why do you think they put those in the catalog if people are just bringing them into the dealer.

Go on a Harley forum, you will read endless discussions of big bores, cams and heads.

I realize alot of Harley guys don't wrench on there stuff and bring it to the shop for everything. But on average Harley attracts the crowds that likes to work and modify there stuff. As is evident by the discussion here. Its not worth it to some to open it up and tune it. Go on a Harley forum you will see lots of talk about fuel injection tuners, guys hooking there laptops and tuning there bikes. I know thats probably a little advanced for you.

Some people just like to modify there stuff. Look at snowmobiles. Tons of power, but you still got guys messing with them to get more out of them.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #808
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
M won't need a rebuild annually. Unlike a harley.
This is one of the most ignorant things I have read on here in awhile. I feel dumber just reading it.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #809
panorton
Charming as F**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Ignorant much?

My mistake. i should have put a smiley there. If i was shopping for a new bike, i would buy one with as much power as i want, not buy one and start spending craploads of money trying to make it produce more. Seems like a waste of money to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #810
panorton
Charming as F**k

Quote:
This is one of the most ignorant things I have read on here in awhile. I feel dumber just reading it.

Can IQ go negative?

My opinion is that the people who do their own work is probably the same percentage in all groups. There is nothing magical about harleys that attract mechanics.

BTW i know the IQ comment is a cheap shot, but you set it up so beautifully, i could not resist.