No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #811
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
My opinion is that the people who do their own work is probably the same percentage in all groups. There is nothing magical about harleys that attract mechanics.

st.
I don't have any stats, but I disagree. Harleys are simple bikes. I have heard many owners say thats why they like them. Pushrod motor is pretty easy to modify.

In general Harleys are easy to work on. Most Jap bikes you can't even see the plugs and air cleaner.

Quote:
My mistake. i should have put a smiley there. If i was shopping for a new bike, i would buy one with as much power as i want, not buy one and start spending craploads of money trying to make it produce more. Seems like a waste of money to me.
I agree your right, but that doesn't stop people. Like I said, people have be fucking with there rides forever. Look how fast snowmobiles are, but they keep doing it.

Also it makes it run better, since its no longer EPA compliant. But if I had 140hp, I probably wouldn't screw with it. Probably not. I doubt it, maybe, but not much

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #812
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
My mistake. i should have put a smiley there. If i was shopping for a new bike, i would buy one with as much power as i want, not buy one and start spending craploads of money trying to make it produce more. Seems like a waste of money to me.
You really need to ride a new Harley. If you are ever going to be in Portland let me know, I'll take you out on a couple of stock bikes and you can determine for yourself if you had bought into the ignorant lies of others. Also on the second part. I see 100k mile + bikes on a daily basis around here. These are not the AMF Harley's of the past... (the time has long since passed when you need to own a truck to own a Harley)

Granted feet forward bikes are not for everyone. I prefer Standards myself and HD only makes ONE! The XR1200X. Which is a GREAT bike.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #813
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You really need to ride a new Harley. If you are ever going to be in Portland let me know, I'll take you out on a couple of stock bikes and you can determine for yourself if you had bought into the ignorant lies of others. Also on the second part. I see 100k mile + bikes on a daily basis around here. These are not the AMF Harley's of the past... (the time has long since passed when you need to own a truck to own a Harley)

Granted feet forward bikes are not for everyone. I prefer Standards myself and HD only makes ONE! The XR1200X. Which is a GREAT bike.

To be honest, the only harleys that interest me are the xr1200 and the streetrod. Am i correct in that they stopped making the streetrod? It seemed like a good move to me. Even better since they killed buell. Why didn't they put that engine in a buell chassis?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #814
Zerk
DILLIGAF

You can't have to many bikes. I might buy a camp, just so I can buy a DS sport to live up there.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #815
Zerk
DILLIGAF

One of the things I like about Harleys is they are good touring bikes, the baggers. Dealer networks all over too.

You want to cruise 95 across Montana for a 100 miles, a FLH does it well.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #816
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
To be honest, the only harleys that interest me are the xr1200 and the streetrod. Am i correct in that they stopped making the streetrod? It seemed like a good move to me. Even better since they killed buell. Why didn't they put that engine in a buell chassis?
You are correct they quit making it but I do have an '06' for sale at the moment. It is the best handling V-rod and the first to get a displacement increase from 1130 ccs to 1250 ccs. Fuel tank capacity was increased to 5 gals. from 3.7 gals. Mid foot controls were installed and lean angles were WAAAAAAAAAAAY increased.

Fun bike.

As the why didn't they.... ? New things are on the horizon....
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #817
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 473
Loud pipes DON'T save lives. in my opinion.

Are we back on the rails now?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #818
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #819
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
What about your new bike? It just proves that people are wrenching on Harleys.

Unlike the guy below, Harley riders tend modify there bikes more. The lure of Harley is they are easy to work on. I don't know to many metric guys that even change there tires let alone rebuild the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby
So exactly which performance metric is being limited by the stock, EPA compliant, exhaust and induction systems? Is it maximum speed, 0-60 acceleration, 1/4 mile time, 70-100 roll-on? Would it even be possible for a mere mortal such as myself to even tell the difference between 140rwhp and 150rwhp? I know for certain that the bike would be louder; maybe I could then claim that I was opting for safety with the full race exhaust, induction mods and power commander.
Yes, those things. First thing to do is maybe to a auto class at a vocational center near you.
Is vocational training going to teach me what the difference is between 140rwhp and 150rwhp?

Again, what would 5-10% power increase gain me in real world riding, and would it justify the illegal exhaust modifications that would be required to obtain that increase?

You v-twin cruiser people are fixated on the performance aspects (lack thereof) of the machines that you purchase. Stage 1, new air cleaner, exhaust and fuel map, Stage 2 whateverthefuckyoudototheheadsremovebaffles, Stage 3 bigborestrokercranktimkenbearingsdragpipes, etc. Does it not appear to you that the mfg is selling you an inferiour machine, one that needs all of these mods to satisfy your needs?

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #820
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
Is vocational training going to teach me what the difference is between 140rwhp and 150rwhp?

Again, what would 5-10% power increase gain me in real world riding, and would it justify the illegal exhaust modifications that would be required to obtain that increase?

You v-twin cruiser people are fixated on the performance aspects (lack thereof) of the machines that you purchase. Stage 1, new air cleaner, exhaust and fuel map, Stage 2 whateverthefuckyoudototheheadsremovebaffles, Stage 3 bigborestrokercranktimkenbearingsdragpipes, etc. Does it not appear to you that the mfg is selling you an inferiour machine, one that needs all of these mods to satisfy your needs?

cheers,
melby
EPA dictates the rules, not HD. Air cooled big bores are a problem for emissions. All cruisers have the same issue. They need to run a outside the narrow focus of EPA mandates to run efficiently. Overall a well tuned big twin will have lower emissions per gallon of gas compared to a restricted engine but the EPA doesn't care.

My 2003 Honda cruiser gained 8hp (20%) by re-jet, removing the plug and adjusting the pilot, and replacing the stock baffles with aftermarket. It was louder but still under the cover the ears level.

So once you start fiddling with stuff it's hard not to continue to "improve" on the EPA mandated fuel map/ cam profile/ air intake/ exhaust.

Don't blame Harley, blame the EPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #821
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post

In general Harleys are easy to work on. Most Jap bikes you can't even see the plugs and air cleaner.
That's why I lost intrest in most new bikes, including Harleys, they have become too complicated. My Ural is about the easiest bike there is to work on which is important to me as I do all my own servicing and repair. Got to love a bike that can be rebuilt with its tool kit.

No "catalogs", but who needs catalogs? Real men fabricate.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #822
TruckingBiker
pRoSpEcT

Oddometer: 3
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. On the other hand respect peoples homes and go easy in resedential neighborhoods.
TruckingBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #823
Zerk
DILLIGAF

I sat on a XR1200 at the Chicago bike show in 2009. Maybe get used to it, but I was hitting my shins on the pegs.

I was fighting with the OL, and looking for a solo bike. Actually what I ended up liking from comfort persepecting was a Sportster. I wouldn't mind hopping one up.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #824
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckingBiker View Post
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. On the other hand respect peoples homes and go easy in resedential neighborhoods.
Ahhh, NO! to the first part (it is a myth)... But to the second part.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 07:42 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #825
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts View Post
EPA dictates the rules, not HD. Air cooled big bores are a problem for emissions. All cruisers have the same issue. They need to run a outside the narrow focus of EPA mandates to run efficiently. Overall a well tuned big twin will have lower emissions per gallon of gas compared to a restricted engine but the EPA doesn't care.

My 2003 Honda cruiser gained 8hp (20%) by re-jet, removing the plug and adjusting the pilot, and replacing the stock baffles with aftermarket. It was louder but still under the cover the ears level.

So once you start fiddling with stuff it's hard not to continue to "improve" on the EPA mandated fuel map/ cam profile/ air intake/ exhaust.

Don't blame Harley, blame the EPA.
So you're telling me that H-D and the other big bore, narrow angle, air-cooled, cruiser bike manufacturers are unable to produce a bike that operates correctly due to EPA noise and emissions regulations? Seems to me that it is a limitation of the design, not the regulations. If the design cannot provide the performance dictated by the regulations, the design is at fault.

Forgive me if I have no tolerance for your whining about EPA restrictions, Harley Tax, etc. Especially when you enhance the 'performance' of your cruiser by making it illegally and obnoxiously loud; then try to justify it by claiming that the noise 'saves lives'.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote