No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #76
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I find if I want to ride to more then just a bar, I have to.

Airhorns do a good job of getting someones attention. I dont have room for airhorns but I'd fucking find a place on my KLR if I could.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #77
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I agree about air horns, though they do require action on your part. You need to know that guy is thinking about coming in your lane.

While I do agree the noise is behind them, I did notice when I walked out to my mailbox today, I could hear on coming traffic.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #78
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Nah... Haven't you been reading? Sound only goes in the direction it's pointed. :-)
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #79
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Here's what I think:

Loud exhaust pipes can alert drivers that there is a motorcycle in the vicinity. So in that sense, yes, they can save your life. However, there are several problems with loud pipes:

1. Relying on loud pipes to save your life builds complacency ("ah, they can hear me coming, I'll be fine").
2. They potentially have a greater ability to induce road rage in other drivers, especially if the rider is being an idiot and riding in a rude and unsafe way.

So, can loud pipes be a safety benefit? Maybe yes, but you should never rely on them. I had a loud exhaust system on my last bike, but only because that's they way it was when I bought it (the bike was used). If I had bought it new, I would have kept the stock exhaust pipes because I rode just as cautiously in traffic with the loud pipes as I do on my new bike, which is stock (at least I think I do), so there's no point in creating extra noise. There are much better and surer ways of staying safe than having loud pipes. Scanning the road ahead, anticipating possible trouble, learning to control the motorcycle skillfully, wearing protective gear, etc.

Some people will categorically deny any safety benefit, others will say that loud pipes are very important. As usual, it's not all black/white. Loud pipes have some safety benefits, but with major caveats.

IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #80
Zerk
DILLIGAF

I don't think any one is saying to rely on them, just as they don't say that about bright colored costumes.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #81
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Check my sig.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #82
Zerk
DILLIGAF

If you are ATGATT, why would you not want something adds some safety? If you won't risk riding to the grocery store without a chest plate, its seems either poorly thought out or hypocrtical not have loud pipes.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #83
Zerk
DILLIGAF

When I am on Harley sites, I take more of the opposite arguement. Its no fun when you blow sunshine each others bums all the time.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #84
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
A couple of things.
First off, where is the majority of the noise? Behind you.
Where are most of the things that are going to be a potential problem for you?
In front, or at least as you approach it.
Also, a friend who is a paramedic pointed out to me how few people actually pull over when they hear a siren. Usually the emergency vehicle is almost on top of them before it registers on them. So then how exactly would a loud exhaust be even remotley effective in preventing a colision?
I work for a company that does motorcycle training, very similar to what the MSF does in the U.S. On the backs of our shirts it says "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride that thing would do".
Do I think loud pipes save lives? No.
Do they piss off your neighbours and make you look like you are desperatley trying to compinsate for something?
Absolutley.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #85
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Loud pipe = pathetic attention whore. Regardless of bike. It is as deserving of ridicule and contempt as a neon-colored, lowered Honda Civic with tail fins, no muffler and oversize subwoofer blasting shitty music. Just like seeing a grown man wearing black leather chaps or some pseudo-stunter crotch rocket jockey in shorts, it always induces the same sort of reaction in me.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #86
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
First time if happend to me.

Been riding on the steet now cummulative for 15 years but only consistently for the last 11. Ten of those 11 years have been on HDs with louder (but bafled) pipes. Picked up a Triumph Tiger 1050 6 months ago.

Today while riding the Triumph on the interstate in the far left lane running about 3-5 mph faster than those in the right lane, I had a guy in a mini van change lanes right into me when I was even with his rear bumper....his blind spot.

I hit the brakes hard and when he was about 3/4 into my lane he saw me and jerked the wheel and moved back to the right lane and jestured that he was sorry as if he didn't see me.

That has never happend while riding the louder Harley and I posted earlier in this thread where I as a auto driver have done the same a few times and felt like crap for doing it to another bike rider.

Do loud pips save lives? Dunno!

Do loud pipes get one noticed? More often than not!

Are noticed bikes less likely to be run off the road by cars? I have my opinion and you all have yours!

blk-betty screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 08:45 AM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #87
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
I do think it a little ironic that some claim, form one side of their mouths, that loud pipes are pathetic attention getting devices; and from the other side of their mouths they claim that the noise generated is only audible when the loud bike is in front of them.

Maybe bikes down here in the south are just louder than eleswhere but I assure you if you have decent hearing you will hear them behind you a few seconds before they pass.

If you can't hear it behind you, it's not a loud bike.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #88
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 750
what are opinions like again? I forget...
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #89
alvycolt45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
The next person that uses the excuse "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" had better be wearing a full face helmet, fully armored gloves, boots, pants and jacket all in a high visibility color.
alvycolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #90
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,260
I have spent 37 years riding on the street, never had a really loud bike, although in the old days they were louder stock I think, and I NEVER had an issue with cars or trucks.
I don't ride at times and on roads that I think its stupid to do as its highly unsafe.
A bike has to be really loud for me to hear it while driving some vehicles.

My current bike is VERY quiet, and its nice.
If it was loud, it would NOT sound good.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote