No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #901
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Funny I always thought sound traveled at roughly 760 mph.

Let’s not confuse the man with pesky details.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #902
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Dare I ask...Hipp...never mind.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #903
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Cool. I rode my bike at mach 2 yesterday. Without an oxygen mask even.

DO, supersonic dude.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #904
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
A lot of Supersports will even attain Mach 3 or more, on a wide open road, and a rider with big cajones!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #905
The Hag
Daily rider

Oddometer: 22
My 2 cents (hey, you get what you pay for!)

Been riding a looooong time, many miles, many conditions, day and night, deer infested roads, high-density traffic areas at rush hour, no brand preference - it's a bike, just ride it damn it!

I've tried loud pipes, air horn, loud suit, loud horn, additional lights, headlight modulator, high-beam, combination of all. Have had people not "see" me with all of that crap. The most effective bike mod for me, hands-down, is adding two lights somewhere below the headlight aimed at the same level as the low-beam creating a triangle of lights.

Exponentially more effective was learning (and practicing) how to maintain situational awareness and always adjusting my position in traffic to give myself an escape route. This is a continual process.

A note on noise: Rock bands used to crank up the volume just enough to cause concert goers to get an adrenaline rush (getting the audience "pumped up" is often the job of the opening band). Loud vehicles can certainly cause the same rush. Of course, when we have an adrenaline rush we also have a fight/flight/freeze response (the whole reason for that rush). Most modern humans lack any training in responding to this rush in a modern environment (such as driving a car or riding a motorcycle) and will mostly overreact, probably with the wrong reaction. The key to training our primitive brain to react correctly in an adrenaline induced reaction is repetition (about a thousand times) of the desired action.

So, I've found it easier to train myself to maintain a high degree of situational awareness and to properly react to a given threat while not inducing an unpredictable reaction in the humans or animals around me.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #906
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Exponentially more effective was learning (and practicing) how to maintain situational awareness and always adjusting my position in traffic to give myself an escape route. This is a continual process.
deserves a re-quote!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #907
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
That ain't nothin... my uncle had a Duo Glide that would go mach 3.5 after he put nitrous and some straight pipes on it.

Damn shame he had to 'lay er down" when he got cut off by that Concorde at 27,000 feet. He just bulldogged it to a stop in a hay pile south of Des Moines and walked away, said he'd never ride another sickle... death machines are what those damn rice-burner crotch rockets are he said, death machines I tell ya.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #908
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

As does this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
The most effective bike mod for me, hands-down, is adding two lights somewhere below the headlight aimed at the same level as the low-beam creating a triangle of lights.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #909
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
A lot of Supersports will even attain Mach 3 or more, on a wide open road, and a rider with big cajones!

I understand that.
I don't have a swupersport, but I can still cruise at m2, and reach m2.5 or so and that's enough supersonability for my tastes.
No one can hear me at m2. No one can see me at m2.5
My ride is pretty quiet tooling around town, but it's iiiiinnncredibly loud at m2. But, you can't hear it so it's ok.
Loud pipes wake sleeping newborns and napping old farts.

DO
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #910
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627

Is THIS pedestrian safe from physical assault?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #911
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Dare I ask...Hipp...never mind.
Yeah, yeah. Mine are installed over V-Strom handguards; the BMW cops have BMW GS handguards to keep them away from the levers- ST1300 riders use either Acerbis or BarkBuster brand. Haven't seen a C14 so I don't know what they're doing.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #912
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #913
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
Like it or not, my testing over the last eight months show that loud pipes save my ass a lot of trouble on the highway during busy rush-hours.

Actually, I wasn't testing anything - I found a good deal on a bike that the previous owner made loud. I commute with it 80 miles a day (not including errands and such), and I just rode the hell out of it for those months during day, night, all sorts of traffic patterns and weather. All fine and good, nothing proved there.

Lo and behold I buy a second bike with a stock quiet exhaust two months ago, and the incidents of vehicles beside me moving over into my lane skyrockets at the same commuting speeds, same traffic, same highway. Not just increases... Skyrockets. If I get moved-over-on once every month-and-a-half on the loud bike, it's at least once a day on the quiet bike.

I'm not lying.

I was never a fan of loud pipes, but if you can't or won't lane-split, you're stuck beside a lot of people during a 40-mile one-way four-to-six-lane (per side) highway commute, and it gets obvious real fast.

Sure, loud pipes are meaningless to anyone you are approaching at intersections - I'm fine with that limited argument. Own two totally different loudness-level bikes, ride in traffic most riders would avoid or take a car for, and do it for months on end... I'm pretty sure you might hand some credit to loud pipes for making your ride easier even if you still don't believe they should be legal.

I'll never actually buy loud pipes to put on a bike, but this 'test' via a cheap bike I bought early last year has been an eye-opener.

And, yes, I always wear earplugs above 35 or 40 MPH, but for the wind-noise in my FF helmet. Somehow earplugs, even at lower speeds, cut out the wind and the exhaust noise, but allow me to hear sirens farther away than people in their cars apparently can. I don't understand it, but I've seen it enough that I now know to be carfeful pulling over for an ambulance approaching from the rear as the drivers behind me won't hear it when I do, so they won't know what I'm doing for a while.

Oh, and something else I wrote on another forum:

Loud pipes just saved three lives...
Loud pipes save three Chicken lives...

I thought this was comical enough to post it - misleading title and all...

I was on my way to Sears just now and witnessed what looked like a rooster and two chicks (I guess it was a chicken and two chicks... unless roosters lead chicks around?) that had arrived in the median of a busy 4-lane at rush hour.

Luckily a mini-van with a family stopped in the opposite direction than I, and also lucky for the chickens that they were smart enough to attempt to get to the median during a brief pause in traffic due to timed traffic lights.

They were trying to head to the left, but scared of the van, but in it's lane and not something anyone passing the van would see if they decided to finally go... I pulled into the median and wasn't sure if me getting off of the bike and chasing chicks and a chicken around was prudent; but then it hit me. I began revving my motor up and down in quick increments which convinced the little chicks to head the other way across the opposite two lanes just about in the knick of time, up over the curb and on their way.

I was satisfied, and got a positive nod and grin from the guy driving the mini-van.

Now I didn't create this bike, and I wouldn't have put these Cobra pipes on it the way the original owner did, but besides my one past argument about them, this one was pretty convincing.

---------------

Let the hate from the inexperienced begin - I ain't buying new pipes to change the old Vulcan 800 back to quiet.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 03:49 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #914
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Yeah, yeah. Mine are installed over V-Strom handguards; the BMW cops have BMW GS handguards to keep them away from the levers- ST1300 riders use either Acerbis or BarkBuster brand. Haven't seen a C14 so I don't know what they're doing.
I need to get a pair of those Hippo Hands...but I'll never post on ADV that I did!

Love that shirt garandman!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #915
BudCAD
Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet View Post
I used to be a Paramedic and you would not believe how long you can follow on somebodies bumper with lights and sirens blaring before they actually notice you.
Loud-pipe people are fooling themselves, damaging their hearing, and alienating the public in general.
Agreed. In and of itself, no I'd say they don't make you any safer. Loud pipes tire the rider, mask sounds you should be hearing, annoy people who are less inclined to give you room, etc. Not only that, here in Pa. most people are on their cell phones and oblivious to the environment around them. I think it's a bit foolhardy to assume that just because it's loud, that everyone hears and sees you.

I heard a radio interview with a man who lost his son in a car accident in which a driver on a cell phone ran right through a red light and t-boned them. Driver was on a cell phone. Didn't see the red light, stopped traffic, even drifted left to get around other traffic stopped for the same light. The guy happened to work in the field and did research on cognitive distraction (knowing you're distracted) vs. non-cognitive distraction (cell phone). Someone on a cell phone is oblivious to sight and sounds. I don't think it's really even a safety argument, just makes for a nice sticker and a way to get noticed. Southpark slam dunked that aspect.
BudCAD is offline   Reply With Quote