View Results: Do Loud pipes save lives?
Yes 160 18.43%
No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #121
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
I still have the oem cans on my 990 adv, sort of low rumble, they get very hot in the summer,which is bit of a pain in the bum, literally, as the can's are right underneath the seat. I like the sound of the ackropovic exhaust, with the baffels left in, cant justify the outlay of so many euros or dollars though, which ever applies. Lot of guys explain the use of after market cans with a boosted perfomance, which is bullshit, you might get couple hp at the most. Last week while i was at gas station, guy on a road king pull's up and has to wait for few minutes for his turn at the bowser, did he turn the motor off, no way, he kept blipping the throttle as if the bike was going to stall. Straight pipes, searing really loud noice, fucking annoying, look at me, what a tough biker i am. The general publics percetion of us bike rider's still isnt all that rosy, heroes like the afore mentioned idiot, dont make it any better.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #122
Dave in IL
Old & slow but having fun

Oddometer: 85
Exhaust can be music or just a loud noise. While I usualy leave exhaust stock on my bikes, I have modified or replaced a few. The stock mufflers on my Harley were very quite, they had 3/4" openings in the baffles. I took a 7/8" peice of round stock beveled one end and drove it through the original openings. The result was very little increase in noise an low RPM but a nicer tone at higher RPMs. I've replaced rusted stock exhaust with 4 into ones that were slightly louder than stock. That said I don't care if it's a Ducati, a Harley or an old Kawasaki there is no way a set of straight pipes is appropriate for street use.

As far as noise being a saftey feature, while in a few situations it might help, the other 99.99998% percent of the time they do much more harm to ALL motorcyclist than good.

So the next time your riding buddy shows up with his open piped MX bike, Crotch Rocket, Cruiser or heavens forbid ADV bike, tell him you just read a study about how the higher the decible levels a bike makes correlated to how small the penis of the rider is. LOUD PIPES = tiny tiny little pee pee!

The only time that you should complain about someone's bike being too big and heavy is if you have to help them pick it up
Dave in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #123
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
interesting...5:1 in favor of loud pipes NOT saving lives as of this morning
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #124
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
On a Harley, loud pipes are just nuts. They don't make enough power even with open exhausts to need them. They just scream "look at me...I have a little peepee".

On a sport bike, a nice pipe (not open and obnoxious) do sound nice, and free up exhaust restrictions.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #125
iLander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
interesting...5:1 in favor of loud pipes NOT saving lives as of this morning
probably because most of the people on this site realize that the pipes are facing the wrong way if they're meant to attract attention.

I'm partially deaf and with my helmet on I probably hear close to what a person in a car hears with the windows closed and I always get a start when a loud bike passes me: no idea it was there until the pipes are facing me and I get a blast of sound.

Interestingly enough, I can hear sirens fairly well and the added light show that comes with emergency vehicles really gets my attention. Emergency vehicles have systems that are purpose-built to be noticed with the horns and speakers facing forward just like the horns on cars, bikes and trucks.

Do you think any pipe manufacturers manufacture there loud pipes with safety specifically in mind? Do you think they could advertise that loud pipes save lives? If there was any data to support that claim then I'd expect them to advertise that fact like mad...

85 Yamaha RZ500
82 Suzuki Katana GS550
79 Honda MT50

a la recherche du temps perdu
iLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #126
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,647
No. I am personally of the opinion that some biker answered that they were a safety feature just to annoy some square back in the day, and it just took on a life of it's own.

I suppose one could suggest that noise gets you noticed. Fine. But I still don't buy that they save lives.

Edit: here, loud pipes will just get you a fat ticket when the cops run one of their safety checkpoints. Stop, get breathalyzed, then they take out the noise measurement device and check your bike. If it fails, then they check everything else and start writing tickets. Best to pass that first test...BOTH of them.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #127
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
Obviously the honest answer would be yes. Whether the the safety gained is out weighed by the annoyance created is a question best answered by the self centered pricks running headlight modulators.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #128
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
I still have the oem cans on my 990 adv, sort of low rumble, they get very hot in the summer,which is bit of a pain in the bum, literally, as the can's are right underneath the seat. I like the sound of the ackropovic exhaust, with the baffels left in, cant justify the outlay of so many euros or dollars though, which ever applies. Lot of guys explain the use of after market cans with a boosted perfomance, which is bullshit, you might get couple hp at the most. Last week while i was at gas station, guy on a road king pull's up and has to wait for few minutes for his turn at the bowser, did he turn the motor off, no way, he kept blipping the throttle as if the bike was going to stall. Straight pipes, searing really loud noice, fucking annoying, look at me, what a tough biker i am. The general publics percetion of us bike rider's still isnt all that rosy, heroes like the afore mentioned idiot, dont make it any better.
I gained a couple of HP and lost about 12 lbs from my stockers, and ditched a lot of the heat that they generated. The bike is more responsive off idle, doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore, runs cooler and makes me smile with the nice deep sounds it makes now. Louder than stock but not obnoxious. I can make them loud if I really want and have done so to alert an encroacher that they need to look (I am not talking about being in someone's blind spot but rather the typethat has the phone glued to their left ear so they will nover bother to even look to their left even if they are changing lanes.)

So I would say that the claims about exhaust changes from stock are not BS as it relates to improving performance, though some pipes achieve only making the bike louder.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #129
FullSails
Rugged

Oddometer: 30
I've ridden loude crusiers , and a Ulysses with OEM exaust and My F8 with the factory sound. I have had more colse calls on the loud bikes then the quiet ones. makes me think people are actually out to get the loud pipers. "loud pipes sound cool" though
FullSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #130
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 197

YAWN!!!! Of course they do! Now can we move on to the next most obvious topic of the day. How about:

Do headlights help you see at night?
Colorado Col Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #131
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Col Rider View Post

YAWN!!!! Of course they do! Now can we move on to the next most obvious topic of the day. How about:

Do headlights help you see at night?
Not much, the light's on most bike's are weak as piss
Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #132
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I gained a couple of HP and lost about 12 lbs from my stockers, and ditched a lot of the heat that they generated. The bike is more responsive off idle, doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore, runs cooler and makes me smile with the nice deep sounds it makes now. Louder than stock but not obnoxious. I can make them loud if I really want and have done so to alert an encroacher that they need to look (I am not talking about being in someone's blind spot but rather the typethat has the phone glued to their left ear so they will nover bother to even look to their left even if they are changing lanes.)

So I would say that the claims about exhaust changes from stock are not BS as it relates to improving performance, though some pipes achieve only making the bike louder.
Wings got nice sound to them as well.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #133
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post

The question isn't "Does changing OEM pipe can be a good idea".
Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #134
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
On a Harley, loud pipes are just nuts. They don't make enough power even with open exhausts to need them. They just scream "look at me...I have a little peepee".

On a sport bike, a nice pipe (not open and obnoxious) do sound nice, and free up exhaust restrictions.
Depends on what you mean by loud. Drag pipes should be left for track. But free flowing exhaust will make more power. Engine a big air valve, more in and more out, is more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in IL View Post

So the next time your riding buddy shows up with his open piped MX bike, Crotch Rocket, Cruiser or heavens forbid ADV bike, tell him you just read a study about how the higher the decible levels a bike makes correlated to how small the penis of the rider is. LOUD PIPES = tiny tiny little pee pee!
I don't use the word pee pee when talking to other guys, or really any one.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #135
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is because you did not do what it takes to help their BRAINS see you.

Of course... but learn/follow all of that *and* have loud pipes, you are at least a tiny bit safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
So how can I possibly believe that a quite bike is safer?

CAPABILITIES OF THE BIKE ITSELF. Most (not all) loud bikes are Cruisers/feet-forward bikes. The “GO, STOP & TURN capabilities of these bikes simply do not compare to that of Dual Sport, Standard, Sport, Sport-Touring type of bikes (with the exception of the “go” part in some cases)

I would much rather be on a super quite bike like a K1200RS than a straight piped FLHX (or whatever make model) Cruiser as the bike itself is able to more easily avoid a lane infraction.
That's completely irrelevant. The question was "do loud pipes save lives" not "do cruisers with loud pipes save lives".

My KTM has a very loud pipe, especially in the power band. When I'm pushing it hard you can hear me coming in the bush for at least 10 minutes before I turn up. The bike came with that pipe, and I intend to fit something quieter. As much as I hate it, it is clearly a safety feature... I've often turned a blind corner to find 4WD pulled over waiting for me to pass.

If I had a quiet pipe, I may have met the 4WD in the middle of said blind corner, which is perfectly fine because I always take the corner at a safe speed. Unless something unexpected happens, like a kangaroo jumping out at me in mid corner, and after it knocks me off the bike, I may fall under the front wheel of the 4WD. Or something like that.

Loud pipes *are* safer than quiet pipes. The only question is how much safer.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 04:23 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote