User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,504
Going out on a Limb....ADV Riders and making your ADV History

You know...when I first really started posting here in 2008, I didn't really get this place. The ADV Ridin' thing, the whole lay of the land...

I only have one history here, my own, so when I recall it, it's the same--but the context for this ride is about what I discovered quickly when I really jumped into the fray here and started posting.

There can be an impersonal feel, lost in the sauce, some threads, you know--that's why the farm rulz is a fun site...more personal. But there are small pools to swim in here that are warm and fill up fast with friends.

I was blown away while I was deployed at the people that just came forward and really befriended me...and went out on a limb--like Freeflow saying, "come stay on my boat" and Nixels putting together a get together in SF...or LadyDraco saying, "come set a spell"...or Tinks and Xeraux...or Pilot coming out to see me...or other offers from Bobzilla, from SR1, Folks local to me in NJ....I shouldn't name names right? Jorge actually got me started on SSYSO.com, Costa, Tammy, Martin, Rudy, Reshmi, Wayne, Lulo, mrxinpa, Doc, Smithy1, DougZ, Jack Splash, WalterB...Rob23, intothenew, Road Rash, Chacha, Freeflow, Elmer, etc, etc, etc. I shouldn't a started that right? Can't help it...I keep coming back and naming names...you're all so important to me.

I can't find my SSYSO crew pix...they're part of it...

If I didn't mention you, I'm thinking of you after I hit the send button--this wasn't to do a list--but I could make a LONG ONE...

These folks helped me get started, helped me get found if I was lost in something, fix what was broken when I couldnt figure it out...you name it. I made this--just from folks that I collected that corresponded with early on ADV--and it's not their actual locations--LOL--so don't get worried--I just put stickies on states...sorta, kinda:

So what's going on now? Just another chapter is all...now it ain't done yet...this is like me telling you I'm pregnant and I'm not out of the first trimester yet--kinda risky, LOL, but that's why I'm starting the thread. Because, that trust--it's present. Amazing. Escrow? Yeah, heard of it, but we don't need it. "Want me to just send you the title?" Amazing.

The transaction is still in progress---but I do have a plane ticket--and I'm going for a little ride soon. We're gonna do this.

MoBill screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 08:31 AM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,958
This place has changed a lot of lives for the better.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
But there are small pools to swim in here that are warm and fill up fast with friends.

Just keep your trunks on, mmmmk?

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

True John, love it.

Do I have ta Chip?

Inmate is helping me get the bike checked out this weekend.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
De Eee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Same here dude. I have received and appreciated much support from total strangers here.
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
hoffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thumb Great site!!!!!

Don't get on as much as I would like but would have gone nuts without it when badly injured and could not ride. My wife is a moderator on a small pets forum and cannot believe how many inmates there are around the world. An eclectic mix indeed. I have only met a very few posters here in person, but was glad I did each time. Glad the OP is getting to ride now, it is good for the soul, someday, I am going to Alaska, on my Wee-Strom if the wife comes, my KLR if not(well maybe the wee either way) . I read much more than I post, but being gimped I only ride so far, and take care of an invalid father, but someday will indeed come. May all of everybody's falls be few and easy and let the cages leave us be
hoffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
This is coming from both ends of the deal. "Bike looks great in pics, I have a plane ticket to come get it, I'll EFT you the money before I even see the bike in person." I have bought a bike out of town and agreed on a price before seeing the bike in person, but nothing to this extent. I mean, I have never planned a 1500 mile ride on a bike I haven't seen yet.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Paducah, KY by 7:30. 3 gas stops, 1 1/2 snickers bars an apple pie and a diet coke....about 50 dead armadillos spotted. Oh and one interaction with a very nice but not understanding enough highway patrolman.

Bike is ferocious. There is no point in the range where it will not reward you with insane speed, it wants to please me like a lover. I summon strength and she gives it. All.

I didnt need to ride it. And I never call machines she, I think its dumb, but I want to call this one her. Funny...anyway, I didnt need to ride it because I know she'd have her own personality that I'd just have to get to know. And appreciate. Its happening

Saw a lot of flooded farmland in Missouri. Woof. All fields that crops likely just went in...not good. Talked to a man who lost everything...talked to some KY guard guys staying in this hotel...hard times.

I made MO by noon, leaving Norman around 9. Love the gas tank on this thing, huuuge, you know I like big gas tanks right? Yup. its true.

Edit: thanks Adam for being a gentleman...good stuff this ADV...and I am this type of guy, think, execute. But not a lot of thinking :) thanks to High Five for geting the bike checked out for me...had the ticket and plan already, but its good practice, lol...

MoBill screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 09:22 PM
Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Granby MO...pix test
Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Ah crap
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Hopefully the 'Aw Crap' is because the pic didn't show in your previous post, and not because something bad happened to you or the bike

Hope all is well, Bill.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
haystack
Just ride

Oddometer: 3,837

Let's see 'HER" pics!

Nothing like your first date!
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
2014 Winner of the Biggest Potato in Jersey
haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

All is good, sorry bout that...yes its the pix...lol, always with the pix. Soon...
Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
Here's a couple for a preview: MoBill leaving Norman on the Tiger