User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595

Once you have ridden through Kentucky, you will want to come back! LOL

(just stay off the interstate and use the back roads)
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 584
Outta the garage and up on the pegs....
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #18
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post

Once you have ridden through Kentucky, you will want to come back! LOL

(just stay off the interstate and use the back roads)
YES I got to ride for a week in Kentucky (based out of Lexington) a few years back on a Honda VFR, had a blast. It's beautiful there.
sooner02r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,936
Hey Bill.

*Edit* Got a PM from Bill earlier today,he's in Ohio riding through some rain,but having fun.

enduro0125 screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 03:10 PM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Hey Bill, nice bike. I like the pic in the intro post! Thanks for the heads up, Dan.

Have a great ride Bill!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
GSALite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Ah crap
i can see the pic on flickr
Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,384
Home....more tomorrow.

Cops, obesity, obama, water, thermoclines, chasing rain, more cops, freezing, tank bag fun, just to remind myself.

Overpacking last time, my thin skin when beat, better this trip, mailing, efts, expand on the unhealthy eating and media, making miles off the slab...not pushing a new bike too hard...blind hills and turns, "no risk no reward", expand each pic, dont forget old young lady in granby, young man in west union, the two west unions, on.grinding, on hallucinating,

MoBill screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 08:56 AM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
scoon66
Who is the Coon?

Oddometer: 2,740
Glad you made it safe.
scoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

In the garage right now, cleaned, and took my youngest out for a spin. Felony fun this thing...gotta watch it.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #26
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

OK, so, I flew out of Laguardia on the same day that President Obama was visiting NYC. , got into Norman about midnight...I had a lot of offers to get picked up, stay the night.

But I really like to fly by the seat--I do. I used to tell people otherwise, I don't know why. Maybe I didn't know that. And I'm just as likely to flush what I do plan.

So, I've gotten into the habit also, of being alone a lot...I learned something last trip. Alone too much makes it hard for me to cope with people. Last ride report Driffy was ridin' me a little about my packing and I got all pissy and stomped off. That kinda shit happens more when I'm NOT with people.

So, I've learned to not be totally solitary for 1,000 plus miles. It's hard to recover from...I got to my unhappy place

But I started this exercise, going right to ground, bed....before bed I write sooner here, ask him if I can be there around 8, it's good--and then did a little map recon for where he lives vs the hotel, is just under 2 1/2 miles. I'm gonna walk it.

So, up at 7, out by 7:15 and walking...stop in CVS, get an apple pie and red bull, a diet coke for the road and a snickers bar....I ring the doorbell and there he is!! Nice house, good man, lets get right to it.

Open my box (I mailed all my gear, tools etc and was just carrying my helmet bag and tank bag) and instal the SAE cord from my box, the RAM ball, get the GPS going, get dressed...

Adam and I chatting like old pals the whole time, talking about ADV and what an amazing place it is....and wonderful its inmates are. He tells me about the bike, the details...and it's time to GO!!!

I haven't even ridden this bike, I tell him, "yeah, I thought I should take it for a spin first, but I"m dressed and the bags are packed.

With a handshake and a few pix, LET'S RIDE!!!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #27
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

So, I've got a roll chart all laid out that I binned immediatley...but I had my maps cut into about 7 x 10 and printed right off google with 22 pages, from Norman OK to Burlington, NJ

I numbered them...I liked how google let me do "avoid tolls" and "avoid highways"...but still finds the fastest route...I could do it with mapsource...but I decided to do it right off google and use the GPS as my secondary...I like maps, like to see where I am. I printed them in landscape since I was going east/west instead of portrait for north/south or NE/SW, etc.

I numbered them and as I reach the end of a sheet, I just reach in, pull it off the top, stuff it in my Darien, revelaing the next map in the series beneath it, that's number 17 of 22 above...

So I left Norman around 9...and headed right off 35N to 44E, heading for Route 60, don't want to slab it...but still need to make time, so I'll live with it when it goes to 4 lane...but it rewards immediately at Fairland, OK I stopped for gas and a leak...immediatley enjoyed some conversation with the owner, he just laughed when I told him I picked up this bike In Norman and was heading for New Jersey.

I hit MO by noon and had to stop in Granby, oldest mining town in the Southwest (is MO the southwest??), to take a pic of their old water tower...Ada came out to speak to me and gave me a print her friend painted of the tower. She was an older lady, but you could still see the fire behind those eyes. Those kind of people give me hope! See, I'm afraid not of getting old but of being infirm.

Look at that cool tower!! And that sky. That sky would stay with me for the whole day.

The Tiger loves to EAT MILES. And that's what I wanted...I had an introduction to MO's finest....and got me a 108.50 welcome to Missouri, almost a mandatory court appearance because of my speed (HOW?! was I going that fast?) but he had mercy on me...
Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

A comment on Ada. You can see her car, and get a feel just from looking at the parking lot...of the humility of the circumstance, yet, viable, happy, relevent.

I've had an issue lately, I think because of working up in Westfield, NJ, and having a hole in my soul of sorts...a problem of not being happy with things that are important, and instead wanting things that are fleeting, meaningless--it is bizarre. Somehow feeling like a second class citizen because I don't have real material wealth, no exclusive pool club membership...no recurring vacations in exotic places...

Anyway, I try to notice what matters and see how I have it...I'm a little crazy since 2009. Admitting I don't believe much of anything religious...among other things...I'm just trying to be happy and mebbe I need to see someone, but they'll just give me the happy pills and I have another solution.

Back to that solution.

So, check out my tank bag anti theft device:

OK, I forgot the retention strap at home. AND...anyone here know why you don't get a magnetic tank bag for your Triumph Tiger? I really should do better home work. But what fun would that be?

So we checked oil when I left and it was in the operating range, but I don't like that, so I was looking for a place that would have blessed 15W50 for crying out loud oil...good to go!

These folks were great, Destination Powersports in Marionville, MO.
Greeted at the door everytime I came in, and that was like 5 times...So, I was still pretty tired...and I dropped the dipstick inside the oil jug...instead of putting it back in the bike...pretty silly, just took a big gulp cup one of the guys was kind enough to give me...not really adventure, but it was a good chuckle and a problem to solve. Took time now to repack, get my helmet bag out and strap it and a few items to the back rack.

Now...the flooding in MO...man was it bad...freshly planted fields EVERYWHERE along Rt 60 (which I ran all the way through KY)...this was just about out of MO...but check it out.

Once in IL, I found the southern tip to be innundated....Rt 60 across the Mississippi was closed, various other routes and bridges crossing into KY were closed, I had to go northeast and get onto I-24 and cross that way...I wanted to keep slab to a minimum, but it was necessary, and the bike loves the slab too...

Check out what I saw on my way back to Rt 60, No goin' to the 'cino tonight!!!:

Back up the street the other way:

So, I made it to Paducah, KY...ended up talking on the phone at a gas stop--and that ended my travels. 600 miles for the day...not a big number and could have done more, but I wasn't feeling it..and you need to be.

Tomorrow. Fort Knox.

MoBill screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 07:25 PM Reason: and instead of any at the end there...
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Nice write up Bill.
Enjoying your thoughts.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #30
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

So,.I think the thread title sucks, and sometimes I write stupid shit that seems worse when I'm tired than it really is....what I was supposed.to be getting after here was how we each write our personal history one relationship at a time.

Adv is a place that helps make that happen, and I love that, because I wouldnt have done things this way, whatever that is, without it. I feel more aware of that history being written. Sending a guy Ive never met a big lump of cash and riding a bike home that Id never ridden before didnt feel like that at first, but I realized it is kinda nuts...but not in this place.