Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #31
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
Glad it all came together, glad you enjoy the bike! We could've done without the goofy guy in the brown shirt's picture though haha.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #32
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,441
Me too, on coming together. No way, the guy is the brown shirt had to be in it...he's cooler than the other side of the pillow.

And a huge part of this chapter.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,686
Bill I'm really liking this thread. Sorry we couldn't meet up when you reached OKC, but I understand your travel plans. Perhaps next time. Glad you made it home safe, even though you got taxed in MO.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #34
martinh
SSYSO Recruiter

Oddometer: 244
Nice right up Bill glad you made it home safe.
XR650L K6 Sold
martinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #35
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Thanks Joe.

So, day 2, out of Paducah a few minutes before 6, Fort Knox by 8 something. I LOVE the terrain in KY. My first offroading experiences were here.

An aside---I could stay here for a few days just to eat at my favorite haunts. Korean Delight, Los Nopales, Schnitzel Barn, Anthony's Pizza (just kiddin' Anthony's SUX!!), Twig and Leaf Diner, Phoenix Hill, O'Sheas...

So, in 96 I was here for Armor Officer Basic Course---Knierim Apartments, home to the 2LTs in AOBC 96-4 in general and some of my very good friends in particular.

My barracks of Brave Rifles Regiments Road, In 1986, A-3-1's Second Platoon, that's Alpha Company..."we're the best of Alpha Three One, We're gonna do what can't be done, you betta watch out if you come our way, cuz second platoon ain't here to play!"

Wanna see something funny? To me at least:

OK, so sometimes for days, weeks it seemed, we'd march here, just known to us as "HOLDER!" Named for COL Leonard Holder, Killed in Action in Vietnam commanding the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment:

And so, folks, like so many of my ride reports...I twisted the throttle leaving Fort Knox at about 11 and didn't take another picture.

I farted around, found closed gates and found my way off post. Rt 44 east from there, a short stint on 64 and back onto Rt 60 near Paris, KY. Really nice...roads....as the day wore on I chased rain, everywhere I went it seemed to be just ahead of me.

Handguards on this bike are fantastic...hands stayed dry. I've never had that ever.

Colder and colder into WV, and Western MD, eventually up onto I-68 which as slabs go, it's not bad.

Some more comments comin'
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #36
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

So, in southern Ohio ...A kid, late teens early twenties walks up to me and says,

"Hey man, yoo lawst?"

I couldn't hear him over the sound of my inside voice screaming, "JEEEZUS KEERIST kid, what the fuck happend to your TEETH!"

Nice kid. I think I answered him. I was tired and his teefs were jaaaaacked up! Guy here...sez it's meth. I bet it was...saw a lot of that in the small towns. The meth head thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #37
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
I've had an issue lately, I think because of working up in Westfield, NJ, and having a hole in my soul of sorts...a problem of not being happy with things that are important, and instead wanting things that are fleeting, meaningless--it is bizarre. Somehow feeling like a second class citizen because I don't have real material wealth, no exclusive pool club membership...no recurring vacations in exotic places...

Anyway, I try to notice what matters and see how I have it...I'm a little crazy since 2009. Admitting I don't believe much of anything religious...among other things...I'm just trying to be happy and mebbe I need to see someone, but they'll just give me the happy pills and I have another solution.
Like they say, the first step is realizing you have a problem. I think it is easy to fall into that trap depending on where you live. I just worked for a week in the DC area, every third car was a BMW and I was staying in an area surrounded by high end stores and the women who frequent them. You've got the antidote in your garage, you just need to find and take the time to get away from that.
I followed a bit of your thread on the religious awakening. Fascinating journey, and as a spectator I think you did it honestly. It's okay to struggle with this stuff if you recognize what it is and don't dismiss it. I'm astounded at the people who seemingly go through life just doing the motions without really giving any time to why they are doing what they do. You're way ahead of the curve.
Enjoying your RR...keep it coming.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #38
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Hey Martin!, Mornin'

Thanks David, I appreciate it. Yeah, the religion thing was tough, not because I was necessarily in some kind of quest for truth, I was not seeking--it was like you said--I was just needing to obtain necessary permission (from myself) to just say what I thought. No more struggle, no more seeking.

Though--there is a hole there at times...I'm an agnostic at best I suppose--it bears no scrutiny, what the bottom line is that I used to have all kinds of plastic pat answers to little questions and now the burden is on me to not only accept it but to behave responsibly all by my lonesome--that's a good burden, I like it, the latter.

The former...answers to life's questions, not so much a biggie, from time to time it's daunting. When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares into you right? Nitsche or something. It's true.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #39
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

So just a comment on Fort Knox---I joined in 84 as an Armor Crewman, split option they called it. Went to basic at Fort Dix (man did that SUCK 10x worse than I thought and made Knox a year later look like a picnic).

Anyway, that was between junior and senior year in High School, basic training. Fort Knox came in a year later, when I graduated I went back for my job schooling to Fort Knox.

In basic, I was scared shit the whole time. Drill Sgt said in week 9 right before graduation, "Morris, you ate up, you ate up when you got here, you still ate up". You could be a few kinds of ate up. I could drill, and shoot and do all my basic skills, but I was scared ALL the time.

When I went to Knox I what a difference a year makes. I'd been drilling with my unit the whole year, and I had grown up a little---so the experience at Knox was important to me. I excelled, I was an animal, aggressive and confident...so I look at that place fondly. Going back in 96 for the Armor Officer Basic and in 99 for the Captain's Career Course, where I actually had a car and freedom, made me fall in love with the area.

Scoon, thanks for checking in. Sorry I didn't make it through your neck.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #40
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 780
Goin out on a limb.....

Nice! your Tiger is a real mile muncher, love that bike! The silver looks great. Amazing that you got right to the edge of the flood waters....been devastating for that part of the states.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Thanks DoctorDR!

That I did...I didn't relish what I saw, but it was interesting to see the innundation--just thinking about those guys and gals that sewed all those fields. Sucks.

Nonetheless, glad I go to see it for myself.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #42
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710

HF

p.s. SHE looks real sweeeeet!
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #43
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Thanks man!!! Thank you and Kevin for being a part of this tale too.

For those that don't know, HF got a buddy of his to go check 'er out for me. My wife for one thanks you--she's like, "you're going to go out there and ride a bike home that you didn't even get checked out".

And I'm sayin' back, "Adam is a great guy, I can tell" and she just looked at me, would you get it checked PLEASE?"

Right on cue, HF PMs me...thanks High Five, thanks ALL who offereed to ride it, I had more offers after that, several in fact--and thanks to Kevin for stepping up.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #44
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,157
im loving this, love the new ride coronel!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #45
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Thanks Lulo!

Getting ready last night for her 2nd ride...loves it!!

You should see her, so composed on the back, she's still shorter than my shoulder, so she's tilting her head and then looking out of the corner of her eye to see, I can see her in the mirror. Giving the thumbs up, waving to other riders, all mundane, but I love how she takes responsibility for the gear, holding on, getting off the seat over bumps she sees coming.

At one point, I'm like WTH is she doing!? Standing on the pegs....LMAO