Oddometer: 12,895
That's pretty neat Bill.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post

Whatta ya' afraid of a little water crossing?
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #48
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,378
Um Yeah!! LOL...you shoulda seen the security guy, he wouldn't have cared if I tried it.

By the way....GS500F!! Do NOT underestimate!
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #49
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,125
having you as dad im sure she will make a formidable rider one day

BTW, what is she wearing, LOVE her gear

Quote:
Thanks Lulo!

Getting ready last night for her 2nd ride...loves it!!

You should see her, so composed on the back, she's still shorter than my shoulder, so she's tilting her head and then looking out of the corner of her eye to see, I can see her in the mirror. Giving the thumbs up, waving to other riders, all mundane, but I love how she takes responsibility for the gear, holding on, getting off the seat over bumps she sees coming.

At one point, I'm like WTH is she doing!? Standing on the pegs....LMAO

Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #50
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

It's from www.babybiker.com

Had to buy again, I might go with one of their two piece setups and will for the next set I buy for my oldest girl.

Sam is just growing into this one...boots are still too big. She is a trooper. I said, "go put on 4 pairs of socks then"....she did just that.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #51
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

So, I was going to comment on grinding. Grinding, the process of just burning away miles, not stopping, not resting, just fuelling while on the bike, hitting the pisser if you must and get going again--not a "hot fuel" but close. Not gospel...just my opinion.

For me, I feel comfortable grinding, with a fair amount of fatigue...in fact, it feels easier to burn miles AFTER you've got 500 under your belt for the day. Key though is that you can't do that day after day. You need to eat light if you can't eat right...get a bananna in ya if you can...

On a multi day trip, I've found I can abuse the caffeine and stay alert even at the 14th or 15th hour. BUT, to me it's key to rest well prior to...and be fit. You need to be running regularly if you're going to abuse yourself.

I think that EVERY LD rider knows all this--I'm just a novice, with only 3 trips in my life that were over 1200 miles, multiple single day 900 mile trips..etc, but I think that I'm talking layman terms here.

Fitness, sleep prior and whenever you can get it. Eat light, vitamins, bananas...and watch the "Zone".

There is a time where the caffeine has just made you hollow and you're NOT aware even though you're awake. Sugar free red bull is my choice--Lots of Vitamin B...80 mg of caffeine in an 8.3 oz can...not bigger...and not more than 3x in a day for me. Once at the beginning and once at about 10-12 hours into a 16-18 hour day.

The most dangerous time for me is that last 2-3 hours, where you're beat to hell and you're not adding caffeine--because it won't help, makes it worse...

So the take away is to KNOW where that limit is and retire BEFORE you hit it. Caffeine and Vitamin B can be great--but not if abused and certainly not if you pass the point where you're effective.

There's a lot of study out there for Soldier and Marine combat effectiveness and where to draw these lines. For someone who's fit those human limits are pretty far down the road--BUT the frequency of error increases as awareness decreases--so the probability of error is higher--both at the end of the awake period AND at certain natural human 'down times' (Before dawn and in the early to mid afternoon).

Know yourself and retire before you hit the limits.

MoBill screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 04:35 PM
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #52
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Thanks Lulo!

Getting ready last night for her 2nd ride...loves it!!

You should see her, so composed on the back, she's still shorter than my shoulder, so she's tilting her head and then looking out of the corner of her eye to see, I can see her in the mirror. Giving the thumbs up, waving to other riders, all mundane, but I love how she takes responsibility for the gear, holding on, getting off the seat over bumps she sees coming.

At one point, I'm like WTH is she doing!? Standing on the pegs....LMAO

"Somehow feeling like a second class citizen because I don't have real material wealth, no exclusive pool club membership...no recurring vacations in exotic places..."

How much 'wealth' do you need? I see plenty of wealth in this picture, standing there in that blue riding suit. Wealth is sometimes measured by the number of days spent in high priced resorts, but there are other more important measures.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #53
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Ah, don't throw my own words back at me

Read this too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
...sometimes I write stupid shit that seems worse when I'm tired than it really is....what I was supposed.to be getting after here was how we each write our personal history one relationship at a time.
Tellin' me you don't know that feeling sometimes? Of COURSE I see that wealth. (See my "Time" thread)...

I do.

Sometimes when you're poor as a kid you get into a loop of seeing REAL material wealth and as a kid you say, THAT is happiness, and so even when you're old, you see it and you (OK I...not you, this is how this subconciously happens to me) think, would my kids be happier if they were going to X, Y and Z like the Jones'

As Admiral Fishead in the Return of the Jedi said, "its a traaaaap"

I know I have a world of wealth sitting in that little blue suit. I know I have a lot of cool shit too.

But here's the bottom line: when you're with truly wealthy people, it's a f'n peckercheck sometimes, they can give their children everything, and their spouses evvvreything--and it can F with your head.

What you know in your heart is not always the same as a momentary kick in the balls. I get it...I got it...but these folks can send their kids anywhere to school--and they don't just GIVE them shit--they're good people, their kids aren't spoiled, they're well rounded...but they can go to any school...ANY.

Know in my heart versus momentary kick in the nutz.

MoBill screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 07:35 AM
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #54
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,341
Quote:
So,.I think the thread title sucks, and sometimes I write stupid shit...........
I think that about all of my threads..................but never yours.

Thanks for the ride

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #55
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Thanks man. Always our own worst critics.

Ride is really sticking with me now, just good things coming to mind.

Also--thinking of the 20 Meth-villes I ran through. Talked to one of our staffers, former ADA, sez that Meth isn't really popular in NJ because of the availablility of cheap, high quality Heroin.

I hate some of the crap NJ is good at.