Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #151
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Ah, the break in word. Speaking of which, why is their break in schedule so long and oppressive? Even Harley has pretty much abandoned that archaic nonsense.

What is mainly important about break in is varying engine speed and load.

You nailed it.

My dealer basically said to use 75% of the tack, I was a bit scared at first it took almost 700 miles for the rings to set and the bike to stop burning oil, apparently the 675's don't really break it until you flog it a bit.

The 955 I rode like a cat running from a water hose from the day I put the new internals in it, and it hasn't burned a drop of oil in 10 years.....its starting to seap a bit out of 10 year gaskets though.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #152
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
Productive day with the Tiger 800. First headed over to JD's because he graciously offered me the use of his lift to install the center stand (step 1 of the instructions: remove sidestand bracket).

The job wasn't too bad with the exception of the bolt that holds the s-bracket in place. The head faces toward the inside of the bike and I had to come at it with a long extension and a swivel joint plus another set of hands to get it torqued properly. Everything else was straightforward and JD had a little hand-held spring puller which made getting the spring hooked on a piece of cake.

Then I did he first service which is basically an oil change and a visual inspection of everything else. I went ahead and removed the sump guard so as not to get oil dribbles on it which would later drip out onto the ground.

The service manual says to drain the oil with the bike on the sidestand which makes sense since the drain plug is on the left side of the sump.

So I drained it on the sidestand and filled it on the center stand. Man, having a sight glass is a wonderful thing!

New filter and new crush washer, torqued everything back to spec and we're good to go.

Now all we need is some luggage and I'll be set for some road trips.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #153
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Picked up my 800 yesterday and rode it home 150 miles from the dealer, mostly on twisty roads. No pics yet, but I'll get them this weekend.

My initial impressions - love the bike. Handles better than I remembered on the short test ride, but isn't quite as comfortable as I remembered either. Some risers may be in order. The shape of the seat is good and comfort is ok. I'm going to try using an alaska leather or airhawk for long trips. If that doesn't work I'll ultimately have the seat rebuilt with better foam. I'm going to pull the rubbers off of the footpegs to get a bit less bend in the knees. I have no complaints whatsoever about the windshield, airflow, noise, or buffeting. For comparison's sake I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and weigh about 180 in riding gear.

The engine is excellent. Fueling is great, and it will pull from 30 mph in 6th gear. Mileage during the first tank was in the mid 40's. The only negative I noticed was just a shade of buzz in the handlebars at 5000 rpm, but that's being pretty critical. I haven't really wound it up yet, as I'm trying to follow some semblance of break in and instead I'm just trying to reasonably vary engine speed and load. The transmission shifting is nothing short of perfect. I've never experienced a transmission that indexes both so easily and so positively, even when finding neutral.

I did not experience any harshness in the suspension as was described by the Jerk. This is probably due to my riding weight being closer to the payload sweet spot the bike was likely sprung for. The brakes are also excellent, with what I would consider to be super sport like performance and feedback.

The instrument cluster is easy to read, and while I'm not a fan of digital speedometers at least the tach is analog. The cluster provides lots of other useful information. I'm not a fan of the service reminder, as I know how to read a manual and watch an odometer and see the resetting of the reminder as just one more thing to do during a service. Speaking of the odometer, I don't like that the cluster displays the odo only during the first few seconds you start the bike, and from what I've seen/read so far you can't access it while riding. You can only access it when stopped from the setup menu. If I'm wrong about that I hope another owner can explain how to make the Odo display all the time, or at least access it while moving.

My accessory list is on order. I'm hoping at least the side cases arrive prior to BYOB.

Today Candi and I are going to put some two-up miles on the bike and see how well it works in that capacity.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #154
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,001
Interesting.

I didn't think it even look at the odo when I demo'd the XC. My Daytona has two trips and the normal odometer and they are fairly easily selected on the fly.

The new clusters have less buttons, so I can't begin to tell you what to look for. Mine has the older 3 button cluster that can prove...interesting we'll call it...when you are trying to access various displays trying to hold down two buttons at a time while riding with gloves on.

Drove me nuts when I first got the bike, now I've go everything set like I want it, and it much less vexing.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #155
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,320
Bueller, an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad made a lot of difference with the seat for me. That was all it needed to make me happy. And they also have the added benefit of keeping the seat cooler when it sits in the summer sun for awhile. No more fried butt!
davevv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #156
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Bueller, an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad made a lot of difference with the seat for me. That was all it needed to make me happy. And they also have the added benefit of keeping the seat cooler when it sits in the summer sun for awhile. No more fried butt!
I have one. Received it as a gift from a friend and fellow inmate here. I hope it does the trick.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #157
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
Keep the comments and reviews coming, I'm reading every word. This may just be my next bike.

I find it very interesting how much difference in ride comfort you guys (Bueller and the Jerk) are finding. I wonder what accounts for it, you weights don't seem THAT much different.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #158
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Keep the comments and reviews coming, I'm reading every word. This may just be my next bike.

I find it very interesting how much difference in ride comfort you guys (Bueller and the Jerk) are finding. I wonder what accounts for it, you weights don't seem THAT much different.
With what is mostly a non adjustable suspension on a relatively light bike, 30 lbs can make a huge difference. Particularly if you are on the light side of the equation.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #159
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
With what is mostly a non adjustable suspension on a relatively light bike, 30 lbs can make a huge difference. Particularly if you are on the light side of the equation.
I am on the heavy side, 260lbs., and I found it very harsh to begin with. I now have 1300 miles on my Roadie and it is "mellowing" out, or I am getting use to it.

Although I am heavy, I have a skinny but. I can't remember ever liking any factory seat on any of the over 30 motorcycles I have owned. I also have not had much luck with sheep thingys, air pads, and gel pads. I really need a seat that matches my but shape. Factory seats create pressure points that my skinny but can't deal with. Skins and pads that you drape over the factory seat may dull the pressure points some, but not enough to work for me. Having said all that, I find the regular height Triumph seat on my Tiger 800 set in the low position to be one of the better factory seats I have experienced. I am still going to replace it, probably with a Corbin, but for now I am ok with the Triumph seat.

I know that Bueller and I don't see eye to eye on mpg and range issues, but thought I would mention my ride last Saturday. Here is my report in the Tiger 800 fuel consumption thread.

I did 300 miles last Sat. The ride was basically an elongated loop riding north from Baton Rouge to above Natchez on secondary roads, for lunch, then back home on Hwy 61. Going north I had a tail wind and got 41mpg. I was riding with two C14s and a guy on a new Tiger 1050, purchased the day before. At about mile 150 we stopped for a rest and I filled up and was the only one to do so. We did not see another gas station for 70 miles. I would not have made it to that station. The three other riders made it easily including the 1050, in fact he reported better mileage than me, after filling up there! My tail wind became a head wind on the way home and I got 38.4 mpg. I have the Roadie with Triumph bags. It seems like the luggage is good for a 1 to 2 mpg penalty, as compared to my bike before the luggage.

Before the ride I asked the leader on a C14 when he usually stops for gas and his reply was 190 miles or so. I knew at that point I was going to have to top off if given the chance. I am considering carrying maybe two fuel bottles in the smaller right bag for the time being, for times when I don't have the chance to top off.

I have said this before, when riding by my self mpg and range is not a huge issue. I know when to stop for gas and seldom find myself in areas where gas stations are that far apart. That 70 mile stretch last Sat. was a good one for sure, but I was smart enough to fill up at 150 so it was not an issue. On my little F650 single I would have made it to that station easily with 40 miles to spare. My concern with mpg and range is when I am riding in a group, going a good distance, and I am not leading.

andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #160
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Some assorted ramblings on the T800. I have found that the spray chain lube can get on the rear shock and assorted linkage and over time builds up and attracts road grime making for an ugly mess. I decided that I wanted to attempt to keep that area clean on my T800 from the start so I cut a large sheet thin hard plastic to size and I place it between the chain and the shock to protect the shock from chain lube overspay. It will still get dirty but hopefully at a slower rate. On trips I am going to try spraying a rag and wiping the lube onto the chain.

The exhaust can and brake and clutch levers are non-clear coated aluminum. Mine started to water spot after I rode in the rain the first time. Mothers aluminum polish brings them back to like new quickly.

I got a rock scratch in the paint on the front fender. I was able to hand buff it out with 3M liquid rubbing compound. I have found this product works well on fine scratches on wind screens as well.

I would say that the metal flake black paint (and clear coat?) on my T800 is as hard or harder than any motorcycle paint I have ever maintained. I would expect it to look good for a very long time.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #161
Bueller
Cashin?

The chain lube definitely makes a mess of this bike. I'm tempted to try wd-40 and see how that works out. Worst case is I prematurely wear a chain and sprockets.

Additional accessories ordered:

OBDII cable for tune ecu
Rox 2" bar risers
Service manual.

I should be doing the 500 mile service this coming weekend.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #162
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Newest farkle:

I just put down the money for the Madstad Windscreen. Hope it will be here this weekend. As soon as I get it mounted, I will send in a report. One thing I liked was their website states if you are not happy, send it back within 30 days for a complete refund. To my knowledge no other windscreen company stands behind their products like that.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #163
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
My Rox Risers came in this week so I'll try to get them done this weekend. I ordered the Motech side racks but apparently they're backordered because I got the locks and the hardware kit in the mail but the racks themselves are "temporarily delayed."

Today I noticed that twistedthrottle finally listed the Barkbusters kit on their site so I just ordered that.

Man I really want/need to get a top case on this thing.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #164
Bueller
Cashin?

OBD II cable showed up today.

Unfortunately I worked a 14 hr day today and didn't get to plug it in

Bueller screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 06:38 PM
Old 06-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #165
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
OBD II cable showed up today.

Unfortunately I worked a 14 hr day today and didn't get to plug it in
I did the 500 mile service today, about 100 miles late. Pretty easy really. The throttle cable and chain were both way more loose than I would have expected them to get in 600 miles, but hopefully they won't move much more.

I used Tune ecu and found I have tune #20479. I downloaded it into my laptop. It took a long time, about 20 - 25 minutes. I was going to update to the latest tune, but I thought the slow communication might be an indicator that something was wrong. I didn't think it would be a good idea to risk nuking the ECU right before I leave for BYOB on Friday.

Jerk, are you using the latest tune? Can you tell me how long it takes you to download or upload a map?

I also installed the Rox 2" risers. Nice of triumph to leave enough extra cable, wire, and brake hose. I wish more manufacturers did that.