Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Any chance one of you can post the maintenance intervals and requirements? Do throttle bodies have to be sychronized? I assume valve checks are every 12k? Oil change intervals?
Gladly!

First service is at 500 miles and is basically an oil change and general checkup.

You repeat the oil change service every 6000 miles as well as throttle body balance (the easy way to do the throttle body balance is with the DealerTool software, as you get the throttle body readouts on the screen and then just adjust until they show balanced).

Valve check/adjustment every 12,000 miles along with replacing the coolant and replacement of the air filter.

Seems to be pretty much the same service schedule as the 1050.
The Jerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Nice write up, useful info. Is that your blue Tiger 1050 on craigslist? I was just looking at the add then stumbled upon this thread. I think I want the XC
Yeah that's mine. You don't want the XC, you want my 1050!

Actually I was riding the 1050 this morning and was struck again by how good it is. It's been a great bike for me and I will truly miss it - it does everything very well and I've got it set up just right...

It's gonna make a great bike for somebody.
The Jerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
How is the wind management? I've heard buffeting is minimal with the stock screen, which is kind of amazing for an adventure type bike.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
How is the wind management? I've heard buffeting is minimal with the stock screen, which is kind of amazing for an adventure type bike.
I rode it on a very calm day so I don't know how side drafts & such would affect it. But it was absolutely smooth up to about 90 or so. I didn't go any faster, as I didn't want to beat the hell out of what will ultimately be someone else's new motorcycle.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Quote:
I rode it on a very calm day so I don't know how side drafts & such would affect it. But it was absolutely smooth up to about 90 or so. I didn't go any faster, as I didn't want to beat the hell out of what will ultimately be someone else's new motorcycle.
Thats great to hear - the wind management on my Strom, and any Strom, is terrible.

How tall are you?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #21
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
buffeting varies a lot based on physical proportions. I got a tremendous amount of buffeting on the Tiger 800. Actually it was some of the worst buffeting I've ever experienced. Beyond the 60 mph range it became awful. If I wanted one of these bikes, I would need the address that problem before anything else. I'm 6 ft
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Thats great to hear - the wind management on my Strom, and any Strom, is terrible.

How tall are you?
Not tall at all - 5'8" with a 30" inseam. But I was also sitting behind the standard height windshield. I believe there is a tall windshield available.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Super summary, thanks!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #24
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Quote:
Beyond the 60 mph range it became awful. If I wanted one of these bikes, I would need the address that problem before anything else. I'm 6 ft
Quote:
5'8" with a 30" inseam
Damn, I'm 6ft. Maybe a tall screen will help, but buffeting is hard to beat on anything with Adventurish geometry.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #25
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Damn, I'm 6ft. Maybe a tall screen will help, but buffeting is hard to beat on anything with Adventurish geometry.

what's funny is that when I came back from my test ride, there were two guys who had ridden it just before I did; one taller than me (probably about 6' 4"), and one shorter than me (maybe 5' 7"). I had a conversation with them about the bike. Neither of them felt the buffeting that I did. I've come to think that 6 ft is the sweet spot for buffeting on these types of bikes.

The only bike of this style that never gave me a buffeting problem was the Multistrada 1100. It was just a perfect stream of clean air coming over the top of that shield
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I am 6'1" and have no buffeting from my T800. No problems with the seat in either position. I have the regular screen.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
Tama's Tigre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I'm on my second Tiger, 06' Girlie, 10' 1055. I agree, the 1055 feels very top heavy and not very confidence inspiring. Glad to hear problem solved on the 800. Two quesions: what about the notchy gear boxes? Both my Tigers have had sucky trannies! Also, is the 800 power really enough for the roadie long haul? I put a 19 tooth front sprocket on both Tigers to bring the RPMs down (4,500K RPM @ 75 MPH), but it really tames the torque down... front wheel never comes off the ground anymore unless I really mean it.

That said, I'm still sold on the brand, but still looking for the perfect motorcycle.
Tama's Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #28
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
How's the engine performance ? Any vibration? Shifting ?

I rode a street triple which as you know is the same motor with smaller internals..It seemed to be kind of vibey compared to the speed 1050...But it had great shift action and was very similar in power delivery (instant pulling power at all rpm kind of way) but just not as strong...But a good motor overall just a tad vibey...So I'm curious about the 800..The bike looks nice BTW...Looks like a perfect all around bike!
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #29
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Your style of helmet might make a difference in the buffeting department. Try a demo ride with your helmet on the exact model of bike you want to buy.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #30
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Any chance one of you can post the maintenance intervals and requirements? Do throttle bodies have to be sychronized? I assume valve checks are every 12k? Oil change intervals?

Thanks!

I demo'd one a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Not sure I would by one, but maybe...

Throttle bodies on the Khelein fuel injections is cake.

With TuneECU or Tuneboy you can get the MAF voltages so it only takes about 10 minutes if you build an extender harness so you can run the bike with the tank off.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote