User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Sport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Highway 1 closed at Gorda

Rode down to the closure at Gorda. 1 is open north of Gorda but coming from the south there really isn't a detour except over to 101 south of Cambria and then back over Nacimiento Ferguson Rd (NFRd) to 1, south of Lucia. Hope its fixed soon, at least to have a one lane section. I rode 101 south to 25 to 198 west to Ft Hunter Liggett and no one was at either gate! Just cruised right in and took NFRd to the coast. First time that's happened, finding a US Army post with NO army activity or even an MP presence! The ride over NFRd is about the same, no gravel spots but still pretty rough going, but a pretty ride none the less. Almost NO traffic south of Big Sur to the closure at Gorda. Came off the mountain and rode to Gorda and then back up 1 thru Big Sur and Carmel/Monterey to 156 and 101 to San Ho.

Couldn't believe there were no bikes on 1 south of Big Sur. A few over NFRd but they all turned north. They all missed a great ride with maybe a dozen cars on the 10 miles or so from NFRd heading to Gorda and back. No wind either until late afternoon when I got north of Big Sur in the open area along the coast. MUCH wind there, actually kinda dangerous it was so strong and gusty. Just a beautiful day though, blue skies, bright sun and about 74 degrees! Magic on a vacant two lane along the coast!!!! No foolin, almost NO traffic in either direction until I got north of Big Sur. Imagine having hiway 1 all to yourself for miles and miles. There are a couple of red light one way sections near Lucia. That area is always full of slides and now they're connecting two outcroppings with another bridge, bypassing the edge of California altogether.

Attached Images

Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
keithg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Fhl

Gate at Ft Hunter Liggett was relocated closer to the main area.
Old gate is just sitting there vacant.
2011 Concours 14ABS
keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
the slow going tourists ruined that stretch for me the last time I was there- it must have been wonderful with no traffic
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
thanks for posting this info. On Friday I'll be traveling from Carpinteria to monterey. Had planned to ride 1 to Nac Ferg, then inland and up to Carmel Valley Rd over to Carmel and Monterey. If I understand the closure correctly, we'll need to be inland all the way to Jolon (not much to see on 1 south of Cambria anyway), then we can take NF to the coast and go north all the way to Monterey? This presumes that the slide that occurred further north of Gorda now is allowing at least one-way traffic. Does that seem doable?

From Caltrans Road Conditions today:

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED 3.2 MI SOUTH OF GORDA (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A LAND SLIDE
- MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 13.7 MI NORTH OF BIG SUR STATE PARK
/AT ROCKY CREEK/ (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A SLIP-OUT

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 5 MI SOUTH OF THE JCT OF SR 84
/AT THE PEBBLE BEACH ENTRANCE/ (SAN MATEO CO) 24 HRS A DAY THRU 0001 HRS
ON 6/30/11 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

IS SUBJECT TO LANE REDUCTIONS IN EACH DIRECTION 0.5 MI SOUTH OF LUCIA
(MONTEREY CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 9/2/11 -
DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Sport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Absolutely! I rode west over NF Rd from Jolon Rd and 101 and then south to Gorda and back north on 1 all the way. The road thru the Lucia area is worse than the road thru the slide area between Big Sur and Carmel. There are a couple one lane stoplight sections but they didn't take long at all. Not sure where 1 is closed from the south as Caltrans says its closed a few miles south of Gorda but from the north, you can only get to Gorda where the signs block the road.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Sport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gorda
Attached Images