Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
ktmman1503 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
4 Day Victorian High Country Ride

28th April 2011

Don, Terry and myself (Craig) had planned a ride starting on the 28th April in the Flinders Ranges, however that fell through due to a few issues, so seeing we all had some time off work, we decided to point the bikes towards Victoria’s High Country.

Don and I left home on Thursday the 28th April around 9am from Somerville on the Mornington Peninsula heading towards Longwarry.

Around and hour or so we rode though Longwarry and continued to Neerim Junction for fuel.

We fueled the bikes and headed towards Noojee then on to Matlock, we arrived at Matlock an hour later and Don noticed a call from Terry. Don gave Terry a call only to find out that he was not at all well, so instead of meeting Terry at Jamieson, we decided to carry on to Licola.

We had a top ride, and arrived at Licola, again refueled the bikes, and headed up the Tamboritha Road with a certain Hut in mind for the night.

Down Kelly’s Lane to Shaws Creek and found McMichaels Hut, and to luck and surprise it was vacant, although there was a couple of families camped beside it.

We settled in for the evening set up a nice fire and cooked dinner... Perfect.

The next morning we woke to find ice covering everything including the bikes.. Bloody cold.

We packed the bikes and headed off into the sunshine and mountains, on to Morocco Road then on to Billy Goat Bluff...

Another perfect day for a ride in the mountains... just perfect..

We arrived at Billy Goat Bluff and headed on down, Don was noticing that his KTM 640 was not starting via the electric start, it looked as if the battery was not being charged... Not happy..

After a short time Don radio’d me to tell me he had lost rear brakes, and just as I was about to reply, I also lost rear brakes, and only a moment later I lost all brakes... Not the thing you want when heading down the Billy Goat, by now Don’s bike was not well and was running out of electrical power, so we decided to check the wiring whilst we cooled the brakes.

After 2 hours and finding the problem, being dirty and bad fuse holder and connectors, the brakes were cool and we were off again heading down the Bluff.

After an hour or so, Don’s bike looked top be working just fine and the battery charging.

We arrived at Drago, stopped for another top up of fuel, lunch and headed on to Talbotville for the night, another great evening, and what luck, the camp site was loaded with freshly cut fire wood.

The next morning we packed camp, loaded the bikes and head back up to the Drago High Plains Road heading towards Mt Hotham, now this road is fantastic, smooth and high speed, great condition.

We arrived at the Great Alpine Road, and quick stop to check the bikes and off to Bright for lunch, but we had to try another side Track, but after 30 mins of struggling some of the rocky hills we gave it away and headed back along the main road to Bright.

After lunch we headed to Terry’s place to catch up and see how he was feeling, a quick cuppa and a chat, and we headed to Myrtleford turning off and heading to Whitfield for the night.

We had hoped to get to Lake Cobbler, but time was running out so we decided to camp at the local Whitfield Caravan Park... Must say, it was a good decision, the park was clean and had some great unpowered and powered sites... Highly recommend it.

We spoiled ourselves, had a shower and headed up the pub for a meal.

The next morning we packed up and headed to Mansfield for fuel taking a small track called Cambatong Road, interesting road, nice ride, but it did get a little challenging, however we persevered and arrived at the Mansfield Mt Buller Road.

Back to Mansfield to fuel up and then on to Jamieson, Woods Point, Matlock and then following our tracks back home.

A great ride and highly recommend it.

Three Nights

ktmman1503 screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 03:44 AM
ktmman1503 is offline   Reply With Quote