Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Did Charlie R. make this? It WAS on my list ...maybe 2012... Have fun boys!
I believe he had to cancel.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
BAZZER450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
So Scott these are the 5" roll charts like any Rally ? I hope so as i am starting my build for this race next year ! what happened to charlie ? I was excited to see his name on the start list ?
BAZZER450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZZER450 View Post
So Scott these are the 5" roll charts like any Rally ? I hope so as i am starting my build for this race next year ! what happened to charlie ? I was excited to see his name on the start list ?
They are 6", like other standard rally roadbooks. Charlie had other obligations.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug678 View Post
Anyone know if there is any live timing?
The times at the checkpoints will be entered into a log, typed in to a computer, and emailed to a central point where they will be imported into the scoring database. Then they'll get pushed out for the world:

http://norra.com/results_2011.php

So, is it "live"? Not in the "that guy just finished 4 seconds ago, what is his stage time" way. I'd expect that each night we'll have scores out.

It's sat phones, wacky modems, trying to get laptops to work in the desert, bad internet connections, random wifi... a real challenge. (Ok, sure, nothing you couldn't fix for 10 or 20 grand. )

I'm excited!

Anders
Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Did Charlie R. make this?
He was on the entry list, but not in the official start order I got this morning around 5am. 78 race vehicles will make the start line, 22 of which are motorcycles.

The first cars should have left Laguna Salada at 8am... so everyone should be off and racing now! :)

Anders
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Any pictures? I did my part, the scores are up, so where's everyone else with stories and pictures!

http://norra.com/results_2011.php

Anders
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #22
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,953
I took lots of pics in Mexicali the day before the race, it was pretty hot so I didn't linger around too long, but I did get to introduce myself to the guys running the vintage Honda 350.

On the first day I was at the start line for the start of the race at the top of Laguna Salada and then started chasing the Bob Gordon Toyota powered Chenworth driven by Ryan Arciero south. When we met them at the highway getting off of Laguna Salada the car was running like crap and only hitting on 4 of the 6 in the lower rpm range. It wasn't blowing smoke and we couldn't find anything obvious so TIm Crabtree climbed in and pressed on to Bay of LA. We followed down the race course towards Chapala and were only passed in the chase truck by 3 or 4 bikes the entire way.

We worked on the car late into the night and couldn't find the problem. We rebuilt the carbs, changed ignitions and plugs, finally figured it had to be burnt valves. After dinner it was decided that although the car sounded like "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang", it wasn't going to self destruct so we would not put it on the trailer and press on.

Tim Crabtree started in Bay of LA and tried his hardest to blow it up before Viscanio but it just kept running. I climbed in at Santa Ignacio with Ryan Arciero and did the run out to the coast and back through La Prismia to the highway and into Loretto. We finished the day 3rd car to the finish line although it was still running on only 4 of the 6!!!

Bob Gordon got in for the start of the 3rd day and ran hard to the finish getting passed by Curt Le Duc in a class 8 (V-8) truck and a modern day pre-runner buggy powered with an LS-7 (Corvette motor). After all was said and done, both Le Duc and the pre-runner had had problems on days 1 & 2 so we ended up with the lowest time in our class as well as overall time for all three days!!! Not bad for a car that was pronounced dead by all that heard it run!

Went to down load pics today and found the my camera died and no pics are on the card. Rats!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
I took a ton of pics along with DocSprocket, we'll have links shortly for some of them.

For many of the guys down at this race it was just another weekend of racing in Baja. For our team, it presented a huge effort in that it was our first time coming to Baja, plus we're all from the Pacific Northwest, so we cannot just load up the truck and hop across the border like you lucky SoCal folks can. We met some really great people who gave us some even better advice that saved us either a lot of time, or more importantly, a ton of trouble.

Our bike broke down, being nursed down the hwy on one cylinder just south of San Philipe, when one of the guys from the #10 Funco buggy stopped and insisted that we throw the bike into their chase trailer which was coming up shortly.

We fixed the SL 350, at Bahia de Los Angeles day 2, which included fixing a carb that fell apart, welding a sub frame, and fixing a leaking side case, got the bike running, then trucked it to Loreto, and then rode it all of day 3 to a strong finish. First in class, last overall. Not bad for some woods riders from up north.

Now, if only I can figure out how to get on someone's crew for the Baja 500.

See you next year Baja!

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #24
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
StrongBad - you guys did awesome in Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang! I actually thought it was going to be retired after Day 1, it sounded SO bad.
Crabtree comes in mid-way on Day 2 and says, "Who else wants to drive this pile? It's so frustrating!". And damn if it didn't run decent enough and others break to pull off another OA Win! Nice!

I do not like any race-day drama at all, but we had some this time.

Our bikes:
#00 ('88 xr600, Gabe, solo, was Top ironman at '10 Baja 1000, he's a bad-ass).
#18 ('91 xr600, Keith, solo).
#27 ('89 xr250, Ted & Nick)
#31 ('89 cr250, James, solo).

All used Garmin. All had NORRA load the course into their GPS's. All received the wrong course for D1 Special 1. All got lost and unfairly earned way too much time. Nice.
Yes it could have been avoided by having the correct roadbook pages, but apparently the addendum they didn't have either.
Post day 1 we bitched about the GPS mistake Norra made, they aggreed, they said they would credit #00 & #18 about 30 minutes. Well, that never happened seeing that those bikes finished 1-2 in the OA of bikes, but still, not exactly fun starting behind more cars than they should have, adding yet more time to the OA.

While traveling south from Felipe to Hwy1 on the dirt road driving my Chevy support truck we came upon a couple famous guys (no names) who had driven (sideways at high rate of speed) their brand new Ford Raptor support truck off a little cliff which ripped out the rear drive shaft.
We pulled them to a safe location and had some good fun teasing with them about their stunt. In reality, they were really lucky they didn't roll it off the cliff.

Ted who did D1 on #27 had a couple crashes, one pretty extreme. I think we were lucky they were still in the game after that.

One of my crew, Joey, said he wasn't gonna do the shrimp in Bay of LA (last time he did ended really bad). Well, he knew better, but ate the shrimp, then barfed all night and all the next day.Yeah StrongBad, them barf puddles in front of the rooms were his. Sorry!
And the locals by our pit in Visciano, they couldn't believe the sight of him - fetal position in the van, now and then leaning out to barf...

Day 2, starting 6 minutes behind, #00 Gabe caught the dust of #300 KTM then the KTM ran out of gas. Gabe stopped and gave #300 gas and as he did Larry Roeseler (riding '11 Husky 511) caught them and stopped to wait for Gabe. That's a class act - LR stopped so he could let Gabe continue after Gabes good-deed without passing, then continue the chase. LR is awesome.
Actually it's a double-class-act with Gabe giving gas to the leading bike and LR waiting to do battle with Gabe.

Meanwhile, #18 Keith was thrashing along in the dust the whole time trying to keep Gabe in sight. Actually he won a few stages too.
Oh wait, he started D2 one-minute behind a single seat blue buggy & caught the buggy within 6 miles. It's so dusty & gnarly following cars, so dangerous. He followed it for about 75 miles!
When he finally got his chance he made it around then fish-tailed a little to dust the car a little. At the end of D2 Special 1 that car came in complaining how a biker dusted him out, he couldn't see and went off the course and flatted a front tire.
I found much humor in a car guy complaining about a bikes dust.

#31 James (son of Keith by the way) just plugged away the entire time, no drama, just rode it. No drama.

#27 2nd rider Nick had a huge off-course into cactus cartwheel while in a cars dust near the end of D2. We got lucky again.

Day 3 was pretty much just a ride day for #27 and #31, easy deal.

But #00 Gabe and #18 Keith had nothing but frustration because they were right up the ass of a train of too many semi-fast cars (the top 6 buggies). Solid dust non-stop.
Even with semi-clear air times would have been way lower, but no such luck.
#00 Gabe had a huge bail cartwheel running off the road in the blinding car dust.
Oh well, not a huge deal as they were running 1 & 2 OA bike, nobody close to them, so they just cruised it.

Then the real drama happened...
#18, Keith, our solo guy from Canada who has ridden multiple Baja 500's with our support and probably 10,000 miles over every part of Baja with me (meaning he knows how to be smart down there) crosses the timed Finish Line end of Special 3 then on the transfer gets taken out by a rancher truck!

The McMillin buggy was 1st on scene & said the truck was litterally still on top of the rider & bike!

Lots of confusion over the airwaves for the next 20 minutes. Many calls back-n-forth with us, our crews, McMillins, Norra, and our tracker monitors back in Calif.

Keith was banged up all over, a couple broken ribs, black eye, but over all pretty good considering he'd just had a truck roll over him!
He was transported to the La Paz finish line by truck but refused to cross the line (which had already been OK'd by Norra) in the truck. They unloaded him, started his bike, and he putted it across the Finish (barely).

One night in a La Paz hospital and 5 more days chilling in Cabo and he's good to go!
He'll be back soon, we've got him signed up to race one of our bikes at the Baja 500 in a few weeks!

His bike, that's a different story...

End result:
#00 Gabe - 1st OA bike (frustrated by dust)
#18 Keith - 2nd OA bike only 3 minutes back (and really lucky!)
#27 Ted & Nick - 1st in 250cc class (top speed on GPS was 71 !)
#31 James - Finisher (and happy it's over!)
support Joey - 20 lbs lighter!

bajaboundmoto screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 09:08 PM
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
BAZZER450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Cant wait for next year !
my 50th birthday present to myself
BAZZER450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Strong Bad
n00balicious

After workning on "Ol Betsy" AKA: "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" at Bay of LA without being able to find the problem, Bob Gordon almost threw in the towel. Ryan Arciero & Tim Crabtree convinced Bob the the car had around 300miles of running like crap without getting any worse and that we needed to continue. Bob finally gave in but said that he wasn't about to drive 'cuse he wasn't going to be the one stuck out in the desert when it finally let go. Tim Crabtree said he'd drive it and then later laughed about how hard he tried to blow it up. What a super guy Crabtree is!

NORRA had timing totally screwed up. At the finish of 2nd special on day 2 we were recorded as finishing at 2:02. We drove straight to Loreto and at the finish line they recorded us as coming in at 15:47!!! After parking the car, I noticed the 15:47 and looked at my watch noting that it was only 3:20 (15:29)!!! WTF?? So I went over and pointed it out , they realized that at the end of the special they were using Pacific time and at the finish they were using Mountain time. We weren't supposed to swap to Mountain time until we left Loreto. When Bob lined up at Del Borracho he found that they had given us a 13hour time penalty and we had to start 4th instead of 2nd!!!!! WTF??????

Finally at the end of day 3 we were told that they admitted their mistake, that we didn't have any penalties, and that we got the overall as well as the class win. The booze flowed freely at Papas and Beer in celebration.

BBM, sorry I couldn't find a nut bolt combo to help at BoLA, but you know that you are always welcome at my chase truck/pit for any help I might be able to provide.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
What a super guy Crabtree is!
For sure he is (must be in the name).
Quote:
NORRA had timing totally screwed up
No surprise. Kinda like '10 when I finished D1 in 8th OA and they started me D2 in 16th. So much fun passing all those extra cars and adding mega time to the clock.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Quote:
they realized that at the end of the special they were using Pacific time and at the finish they were using Mountain time.
Interesting! I hadn't even thought to look, but wow, the Baja peninsula is split right in the middle in a north/south kind of way for time zones.

Was there an 'official time' on display at registration anywhere? What kind of clocks did they have at the controls?

Quote:
When Bob lined up at Del Borracho he found that they had given us a 13hour time penalty and we had to start 4th instead of 2nd!!!!! WTF??????
The penalties were automatically generated for not having times recorded at one of the controls. There are many steps in the chain for getting that info in to the scoring system.

Quote:
Finally at the end of day 3 we were told that they admitted their mistake, that we didn't have any penalties
It doesn't quite work like that. It's more like "going in to Bob's score knowing there was a problem, the staff diligently researched logs and time cards to find the correct times and fixed it." Everyone involved wanted only the most accurate results available and worked late doing the best they could. No one was trying to hide any mistakes.

More pictures please! :)

Anders
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #29
Strong Bad
n00balicious

It was a bit more complicated than that. After pointing out the Pacific/Mountian time issue in Loreto, they photo documented the time card on the card before and after they crossed out the Mountain time they had written down, they wrote the correct Pacific time on the card, and then took another pic of the card. However, when we arrived at the finish in Loreto, they had also written the Mountain time in the route book and then they took the page that had the day's times on it. Apparently although the Mountain/Pacific time issue had been resolved on the time card on the car, they didn't correct the time on the page they kept. Again, apparently, they used the page to enter the official times for scoring and that's how we were assessed a 13 hour penalty at the start of the last day. That was a mistake. We were not in a position to make our case at the starting line so we simply started where they wanted us to start.

They were diligent because we were on them about it. They admitted that we should have had a better start position at the start of the last day's stage, that was the mistake they admitted to. You are right, no one was trying to hide anything, and I don't think I said/inferred that. There were no heated discussions nor ill feelings, we explained our position with their errors and they listened and corrected them.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #30
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,341
Does anyone know what happened to bike # 303? It's a XR 600 R.

VERY nice looking bike. The results show a DNF...