So many opinions, so little time
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #47
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post

KTM EXC Cons= Oil transfer problems, and linkless rear suspension.
Pros= Proven winners and decent out of the box

The "oil transfer problem" can be fixed with a $3 tube of gasket sealer.

To most of us the linkless rear suspension is a BIG pro.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #48
hondaho
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I got a 94' and it's still running strong. I've ridden that bike all over the desert and mountains of Idaho, Western Colorado and Utah. I've gone from Idaho to Mexico twice. I only had to rebuild the motor once. Used parts are super cheap. You can't beat them for value and durability. Sure there are better bikes but you also have to remember that thieves will take the KTM over an XR any day.
hondaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #49
BCK_973
AGUANTE EL RIPIO CARAJO!

Oddometer: 73
That is great news!I think the only think they could improuve is the missing rear weehl cushion.The rest rocks!!!!!
I have an 1994 beast with over 100.000 miles on it.
Of course there are newer ones,faster ones.....but none as trusty as the XRL.I donīt know a KTM guy riding the same bike every day after 17 years.I have not lost a single bolt yet,
Karl
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #50
axelwik
Yep

Oddometer: 389
I can't find a reason to get rid of mine - damn thing just keeps going, and going, and going.

I did have a breakdown today - f%$in nail in the rear tire... then after I patched the tube the engine died when I tried to pull off - yep, forgot to turn the petcock back on. It just keeps going, and going...

My friends on their new KTMs keep having to fix the damn things while my 14-year old XRL just keeps going.

A bike that can be ridden is worth a lot more than one the shop... doesn't matter how fancy it is.

We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock
axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #51
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by az tom View Post
while they are laughing, we are riding, while their bike owners are working on their bikes!
+1
Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #52
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK_973 View Post
That is great news!I think the only think they could improuve is the missing rear weehl cushion.The rest rocks!!!!!
I have an 1994 beast with over 100.000 miles on it.
Of course there are newer ones,faster ones.....but none as trusty as the XRL.I donīt know a KTM guy riding the same bike every day after 17 years.I have not lost a single bolt yet,
Karl
100 THOUSAND miles on an XRL 650? NICE!

I was also really happy to see that Honda is bringing the big pig back for 2012. And I for one don't have a problem with them not changing a thing. Leave well enough alone. I think what they really need to do is introduce some other dual sport models into their line up, AND keep the XRL for a good 10 years more, at least.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #53
johnrh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
This is great news! I wish dodge would bring back a 1971 dodge dart It lasted 425k intill i sold it.
johnrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #54
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,180
It seems like the weight of BRPs (& KLRs) is always described as a negative. It IS a negative, off-road, but isn't it back to being a plus when you're on road again? Among the guys I ride with, we all bitch about the weight in the hardest areas, but after we've ridden 40 miles along dirt roads it's the guys on the 450s who are complaining.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #55
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
No reason to change the XR-L. The bikes are being produced for basically the price of the materials plus labor. Anything they change on it will reduce its profitability. The XR-L is Honda's cash cow as long as it still sells. Honda is doing the laughing, they are still selling a Japanese bike that has gone unchanged since 1993, remarkable. Imagine the profit margin if their Civic was sold unchanged since '93.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #56
Eggsontoast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelwik View Post
A bike that can be ridden is worth a lot more than one the shop... doesn't matter how fancy it is.
Amen to that brother.

A couple of years back I read an interview in a magazine, the editor interviewed an engineer from Suzuki and this chap was basically hinting towards ressurecting the old DR800. It could just be his boyhood dream or it could be something in the works.

Having spoken with my Suzuki guys in Leicester, Suzuki is indeed looking, read developing an adventure bike, as are the rest of them. Now if there's any link between the two feeds you could quite easily predict something is deffinately in the works. Having seen what Yamaha and now Honda are doing with the XTZ1200/Crosshitter, I can only hope Suzuki learn by making a good modern water-cooled, single cylindered adventure bike with a steel frame and a modern suspension. The only modern bike (IMO) to truly do that is the Yamaha XTZ660. If you just want to ride and have fun it's the winning ticket.

You guys are lucky in the sense that you can still purchase new DR's, KLR's, XR's; in Europe all these bikes have been relegated because of emissions and all that bollocks.

The profit margins on all the "ancient" stuff is huge, everything has been paid for and the profits build up which makes sense with what shook the world just recently and 2-3 years ago.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that if one of the manufacturers were to conceive a new model in the same vein as the XR but with a modern take to it, whilst not loosing track of the original stronghold then they'd be on to a winner. As Soichirio so elequantly put it: "To succeed means to go through many failures and introspections"

Americans, Aussies, SA count yourself lucky you can still buy these types of bikes, here in Europe all we seem to get is expensive toys.

One of the many reasons why I'll always hang on to my DR'6

Pat

Eggsontoast screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 05:55 PM
Eggsontoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #57
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender View Post
The XR-L is Honda's cash cow as long as it still sells. Honda is doing the laughing, they are still selling a Japanese bike that has gone unchanged since 1993
But they are not selling... at least here in the PNW. Just about every dealer on the I-5 corridor has at least one 08' or 09' still sitting on the floor. Most are still asking MSRP which a deal killer for most.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #58
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
But they are not selling... at least here in the PNW. Just about every dealer on the I-5 corridor has at least one 08' or 09' still sitting on the floor. Most are still asking MSRP which a deal killer for most.
I am a transplant from IN to MS, but back home, they are moving about one a month at the local shop...maybe not a 'cash cow' but a pretty reliable seller.

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
aim2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #59
hogdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
BNG

Bold New Graphics

And a $1200-1400 price increase!!
hogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #60
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
I'll trade my 97 XRL on a new one when it's no longer affordable to maintain.
That should be about 2095.