User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Jmo

Well, my F8 was covered in mud so I decided to spruce it up a bit and take it on the "spring ride" - every spring and fall a group of Silicon Valley execs go play like kids. The group consisted of a five GS1200's, two RT's, a Motoguzzi 1200, an R1, a couple of Ducati ST4's, and my F8. I have to say that the F8 is definitely not in the same zip code as the bikes in the list above. I felt like I was wringing it's neck for three days. I held my own, but I was working pretty hard at it. The 21" front is definitely a disadvantage in the twisties, and the lack of grunt coming out of turns was very noticeable. All and all, I was working a lot harder than the norm to hang with the group.

For a road bike toy the F8 definitely does not cut it.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I ride with a bunch of Ducati guys and gals who also race I hold my own but I also understand Im not riding a sport bike or a sport tourer. Question is did you have fun
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,729
My little 800 bounces off the rev limiter pretty frequently when I try to hang w/ the big boys on the pavement.
Then you put her in the dirt and all the little bikes go flying by.

Go figure.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
kaiden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
The bikes you listed are built either bigger or made for a completely different world. Your comparison is not fair at all. So many factors come into play when you compare apples and oranges.

Am I wrong, because your post seems as you are unhappy with one of the best bikes on the planet. I hope for the time you were out, you did not let these issues ruin your ride... Be happy most guys and girls would give there first child to have your bike...

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..
kaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex View Post
The 21" front is definitely a disadvantage in the twisties, and the lack of grunt coming out of turns was very noticeable. All and all, I was working a lot harder than the norm to hang with the group.

For a road bike toy the F8 definitely does not cut it.
I think it has to do more with the riders and the roads. I ride the tight twisties every day on my F800gs, and I'd be surprised if a big BMW 1200gs could hang with me.

I know that sounds like a pretentious statement, so let me state it another way:

If you take two riders of equal skill, and put one on an f800gs and the other on a 1200gs, I think the person on the 800 in the "tight twisties" is going to win.

Of course, on benign curved roads, or cruising down the highway, the 1200 is head and shoulders above the 800.

On another note, now that the weather is dry, I'm off-road almost as much as I'm on-road in my daily commutes, and the transition and riding of both terrains is fantastic on the F800.

The F800gs for me is the perfect compromise bike.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 11:29 PM
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
My little 800 bounces off the rev limiter pretty frequently when I try to hang w/ the big boys on the pavement.
Then you put her in the dirt and all the little bikes go flying by.

Go figure.
We just have to remember the whole point of this bike is its ability to hang at all with either group. We may not win any races but we will complete damn near any challenge.

For fellow aircraft nerds out there: I consider the F800/650 the motorcycle version of the F-18. They are not the most beautiful, the fastest, the lightest, nor can they carry the heavyest loads...but they can be used successfully for the most missions, most of the time.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
You need at least two bikes ..

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
Wave goodbye to the big boys as the F goes off-pavement and then again to the dirt bikes as the F gets back on pavement. She transitions like no other.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
I ride with a bunch of Ducati guys and gals who also race I hold my own but I also understand Im not riding a sport bike or a sport tourer. Question is did you have fun
Oh yeah, had a blast. In no way do I have buyer's remorse relative to the F8. I just brought a knife to a gun fight, and the results were predictable. Oddly when we parked in front of any place with people around, the F8 always drew the crowd - it truly is a beautiful and eye catching bike. Gil and I have both taken our F8's up Lippincott (Death Valley test piece). No way I would try it on a 12GS (or rather my 12GS).

Between the front wheel size (19" versus 21") and the power exiting turns, I am convinced the same rider would be faster on a 12GS than the F8 on anything but a very cobby piece of asphalt (and then you would have to ride through the pounding you would take with the stock F8 suspension). Certainly the 17" wheels on the sport bikes are a huge plus diving into a turn.

There was also a S1000RR on the ride, but I was never offered a chance to toss a leg over it with the engine on.

Make no mistake - I do love my F8. She's a keeper.

tmex screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 04:57 AM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669

HF

p.s Trade it for a Bergman with knobbies!
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
I went form an R1 to the F800gs........ya slightly different bike. Its really not in the same ballpark.....or league ....when in the twisties. Just a different type of bike
Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I had a CB919 and at the same time a DR650 before buying my GS800, and I wouldn't take either of them back.

The only advantage the DR had was that I didn't really care when I lost control and was headed for a dirt nap. I would just drop it on the ground and do a ninja-roll-to-stand-up. I am still a little gun shy when it comes to really risking my shiny BMW paint.

The CB919 was waaaay faster and an absolute blast in the turns. But I was going to end up wrapped around a pole. It was not fun to tour on and the smallest bit of gravel was deadly. It was either super fast or parked. I loved it and feared it at the same time.

The GS800 is the best bike I have ever owned. I can't see wanting anything else for many months.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
I went form an R1 to the F800gs........ya slightly different bike. Its really not in the same ballpark.....or league ....when in the twisties. Just a different type of bike
I sold a '05 ZX10 to get my 800GS. Overall, I'm much happier living with the GS. I ride it nearly every day. I always tell everyone - if there had to be only one bike in my garage the 800GS would be the one.

19" front tire makes it easier to live with on the street. As does a 45t rear sprocket. And I'm getting 45+ mpg cruising with this setup. Zero speeding tickets.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I sold a '05 ZX10 to get my 800GS. Overall, I'm much happier living with the GS. I ride it nearly every day. I always tell everyone - if there had to be only one bike in my garage the 800GS would be the one.
Couldn't agree more :)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
- if there had to be only one bike in my garage the 800GS would be the one.
Very well said

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote