User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Essential Guards - F650GS

I recently picked up a new to me but gently used 2009 and am looking to properly protect it. I read most appropriate threads and did a search regarding guards and while many people have product opinions I didn't see a comprehensive thread of what experienced inmates considered essential guards.

Obviously we can start with skid plate and engine guards and cross those off the list but based upon your experience what else have you damaged and or had a guard save you from damaging and do you have particular feelings about the manufacturer you have chosed for that guard?

It seems like many people (insert Touratech here) make a guard for damn near everything but I want to prioritize logically.

Thanks!
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
hand guards, i like bark busters have save the very expensive levers many times already, beyond the skid plate (bmw) and engine guards ( i have givi, there weren't so many choices when i got mine) i would say most anything else is personal choice
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry, yeah. Should have included hand guards in the "given" list.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Not positive on how the front sprocket is set up on the 650 GS, but I've always thought a sprocket/chain guard case protector is a good idea if the chain breaks and potentially causes havoc to the engine. Statistically rare I think, but I wouldn't want to be the one poor sap with a busted up motor out in the boonies...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
should add, though not a guard, a tt folding shifter as i've heard of people having problems with a bent shift fork when they did not have a folding tip. The tt 1 seems to be positioned better also--foot goes under or over better
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
I like my
Bark Busters + grip puppies + koako throttle lock + Bark Buster heavy barend
setup.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 587
I'm with Chi Town, most of the fancy guards are a waste IMO. As well as the big three, we put radiator guards on ours and to be honest I don't think they are necessary except maybe for some peace of mind.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
I'm with Chi Town, most of the fancy guards are a waste IMO. As well as the big three, we put radiator guards on ours and to be honest I don't think they are necessary except maybe for some peace of mind.
haha...i took out my stock radiator guard and thought the same thing: "hey, this isn't so bad!"
oh well, like you said, peace of mind.
i bought my radiator guard from kidala. it's very stout and easy to install. nothing's getting through it!! cheaper than TT.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No one mentioned a headlight guard but I like the looks of the one from Altrider (plastic version). Anyone actually taken damage to their lenses/bulbs and had to replace it?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
I echo that majority.
In order of importance.

1) Bash-plate. I have a black powdercoated BMW one.
2) Engine guards. These actually protect the whole bike. Between them and the passenger pegs, nothing else will hit the ground (except for #3 and we'll get to that in a second). I have and swear-by the SW Motech set-up. Looks good, feels solid and works solid. Period.
3) Some sort of handuards ( I have the plactic TT ones, which have save my levers a few time quite well.)

IMO, all of the other stuff is unnecessary and more show-than-go. (Like the rectifier, resevior, etc... guards.)

#1, 2 and 3 are enough to keep things from breaking , scratching or even being noticed in the event of a mishap.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Most of you are forgetting it, Manventure mentioned it. Some sort of headlight guard is a must, for both offroad and street riders. The lens is glass, and I have seen plenty of them get broken. It is not available separately, so you'll have to get another one of these (even if you can get them much cheaper than retail online):

Headlight
SAE

63127697753 $511.61+core
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #12
mostro900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Most of you are forgetting it, Manventure mentioned it. Some sort of headlight guard is a must, for both offroad and street riders. The lens is glass, and I have seen plenty of them get broken. It is not available separately, so you'll have to get another one of these (even if you can get them much cheaper than retail online):

Headlight
SAE

63127697753 $511.61+core
I hit a large crow at 110kmh and not only did it crack my beak, but it smashed/cracked both headlights. The quote for the replacement assembly was AUD$855. I initially thought that I could just replace the front lens glass, but they are a complete unit. I chose not to proceed with the replacement as they still work fine and haven't been affected by rain(yet!), but would highly recommend a headlight guard!
mostro900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
I bought as much protection as possible and I am glad I did. I dropped my F650 many times, mostly at very low speeds, actually, mostly stopped when fully loaded. I only scratched the faring once, but that was a faceplant coming down a mountain on muddy roads. I am definitely happy that I bought the engine protection, it does protect the bike pretty well. All were bought at BMW……

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,428
as everyone has said; crash bars, bash plate and hand guards. I'd personally go with high crash bars (holan, adv spec, etc...) since they seem to offer more protection for the radiator as well, but I haven't actually heard of anyone damaging the radiator while running lower options (BMW, Givi, etc.)