User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
MudcatAK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Honda? Or yamaha?

Which would you buy if you were looking for a reliable scoot? And is there a dual sport scoot like the trail 70/90 used to be out there?
MudcatAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,043
Seeing as neither makes a mid size anymore ,I'd look at Sym, Kimco, Piaggio, even some of the Cinese 250s are decent for the money. If you want big I'd go Suz Burgman 400-650. Lookin 150 and down its a toss up except for the Chinese,don't even go ther unless your handy with tools.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Honda and Yamaha are reliable

Howdy,

In these days of a shaky economy, having an established dealer (Yamaha or Honda) with ready access to parts and service makes sense.
Buying a Honda or Yamaha scooter would be a logical choice. I recently bought a Honda Sh150i and enjoy the peace of mind one has with a good dealer, parts availiblity and good service. To each his own and good luck!

PS: Don't forget about Yamaha's excellent Zuma 125.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
aidanpryde18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
The Yamaha Zuma or Honda Ruckus would probably be the closest to a DS that either company makes now.

The Sym Symba is a Cub clone with a 102cc engine. It could be kitted out as a dual-sport and I'm sure with a little googling you could find many people who have already done so. Syms are known for being reliable although in the unlikely event that you do have issues, they are having problems with their supplier network right now that are well documented here as well as across the scooter blogosphere.

As for reliability between the two, that would be a toss-up, especially in the small scoot department as they are simple designs to begin with.

Also, you might look into the Sachs MadAss. It is not the most reliable bike by far, but it is easy to work on if there are any issues and it could be any bike you want it to be.
aidanpryde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I've owned 5 or 6 Hondas, but never a Yamaha.

I'd cross over to the dark side for one of these....:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...e/10/home.aspx
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post

In these days of a shaky economy, having an established dealer (Yamaha or Honda) with ready access to parts and service makes sense.
I agree. I think Kymco, Piaggio, and maybe Genuine could be added to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanpryde18 View Post
Syms are known for being reliable although in the unlikely event that you do have issues, they are having problems with their supplier network right now that are well documented here as well as across the scooter blogosphere.
I want a SYM HD200 but didn't buy a new-old stock one because of their ambiguous future here in California. I think SYM will work it out but I'd be hesitant with some of the more obscure brands and would avoid anything mainland Chinese.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
MudcatAK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Well I do want to shy away from the china models due to some issues with reliability and honda and yamaha both have nice rides
MudcatAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,176
I'd buy either a Honda or Yamaha without concern for reliability - so, it would be whatever model I liked best or, perhaps, what dealer is closer (tho' they don't spend much time at a dealer so that probably wouldn't affect my choice.)

I've owned a Symba and an HD200 and find SYM to be excellent quality, right up with the other 2 manuf. I think Sym will work out it's problems so parts won't be an issue. The Symba 110 was just too slow for my type of riding but otherwise it would be on my list of scooters to consider.

My .02 and worth what you paid for it! :
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The reason I choose Yamaha over Honda is I "HATE" the local Honda Dealers.
Honda Dealers in my area are stuck up, rude, inconsierate and they think they can get away with that cause their product will sell no matter what!
Just like one Honda Dealer told me, he sells enough bikes, makes enough money that he can choose what customers he doesn't want!
In a way he's correct, people still buy Honda even when its priced much higher than Yamaha and Suzuki.
I wanted the Suzuki Burgman 650, (never considered the Honda Silver Wing) only one dealer within 100 miles stocked the Burgman, he wanted full msrp price, plus $400 prep charge, wouldn't sell it to me at a fair reduced price, so I got the Yamaha Tmax for a bargain and have been very happy with it.
It comes down to what dealer I like the best on what brand I buy.
Very happy with my Yamaha Dealer, he knows me by my first name, treats me good, I buy everything from him, parts, clothing, helmets. he treats me good and I treat him good.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
I think their both good and almost identical as far as quality for the most part.

Personally almost ALL of my bikes have been Hondas ever since my first Honda Trail bike and first little motorcycle which was a 50 cc scooter.

No particular reason, Honda just had what I was looking for. But if I was looking for a certain type of bike, say a Cruiser and the Yamaha's Roadstar made the most sense money wise and such, I'd never hold back on buying one.

As far as older scoots, most say Hondas typically hold up better. The Honda Elite 150/250 scoots tend to be better overall than the Yamaha Riva 180/200. Not that the Yamahas were bad, they just had horrible choke issues and were air cooled. Their fine, but the Honda Elite 150/250 and Helix motors are good for 100K+ miles with proper care and maintenance.

In my experience Hondas are generally the most easy starting, reliable and smooth bikes. I can't speak for Yamaha as I haven't owned any. But I also have owned Suzuki and had experience with them, and I can say they are also built great but don't start NEARLY as easy as Hondas and the Hondas seem to be nicer in some cases. But still, some Suzuki are just great. Like the Burgman 650 vs. Silver wing is more of a matter of dealer/price options and styling preference over witch is actually "better".

And as for Dual Sport Trail style scooters, yes there are a lot of Honda Trails available on Craigslist all over the place. BUT what kind of riding are you looking for? The Trails are fun bikes, but their 6 volt electrical system and points ignition seem to have some issues.

Their slow and top out at about 40 MPH stock, which is fine for Trails and around town, but even on high speed backroads the Trails are going to be close to WOT. But you can always drop in a Lifan 140 cc motor and hit 65+ MPH for about $350.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
aidanpryde18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
It comes down to what dealer I like the best on what brand I buy.
So true. At the level of quality we're talking about, you have to look at the intangibles. Feeling comfortable walking in to your local shop and knowing they are there to help you versus just looking to get money out of you is so important.
aidanpryde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
i'd have a different criteria as I don't buy new, just poor that's all, so I don't do it.

I love that you are open to either so let this be your guide.

I would narrow it down to the two that I liked. quality will be about equal so this is what I would want to get into. How difficult is it to service. Is there a nagging and annoying service interval on a particular part that would annoy the shit out of me.

Let me give you a for instance. I own a few Honda passports. They have a screen inside them that is supposed to be cleaned every 6k. This thing is easy to get too, but putting the dam thing back together is a bitch. You have to assemble all those freaking clutch parts and it sux. On the symba, the oil screen is located in the exact spot on that engine as on the honda, however on the new sym, they have located a little door for very simple removal and reinstall, and the clutch doesn't get touched. Hell I would clean it every day if it were that easy. Having done it once on my daily driver I will never do it again, I will kill myself first.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I bought a left-over 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 last Sept (on sale for $2450.00). I'm about to roll over 2000 miles on it. I've changed the oil the way I always do on new motors, 50-100-250-500-1000 and soon 2000 miles. I would never buy another carbed bike. Mine is stock accept for I remove the air silencer. Every chance I had through the winter and now everyday, I ride 25 miles round trip to work.
I got one flat, fixed it with Slime. I checked the valves@ 600 miles and @1500 miles. No adjustment needed either time.
I get between 70-85 mpg, it was lower in the cold. I can run 55 mph anytime I want (I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs) not including my full gear.

I have absolutely no complaints about this scooter. It does exactly what I want and it will go over dirt & gravel with the stock suspension (which has gotten much smoother after about 1500 miles) and the stock dual sport Kenda tires. I carry my lunch box under the seat instead of behind me like I did on my KLX400 and Ct90 before.

One more benefit, cops never even look at you, even if your speeding. I was doing 55 in a 40 one day, never even got a sideways glance. The Zuma is a lot quicker than it looks and is a great size, it looks small but is larger than the 50cc scoots, yet isn't cumbersome at all.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Good choice!

Howdy,

Topless, you made a wise decision. With Yamaha's reliable Zuma 125 you get not only a very good bike, but the dealer network. Looking forward to more posts!
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
[QUOTE=topless;15853

One more benefit, cops never even look at you, even if your speeding. I was doing 55 in a 40 one day, never even got a sideways glance. The Zuma is a lot quicker than it looks and is a great size, it looks small but is larger than the 50cc scoots, yet isn't cumbersome at all.[/QUOTE]

topless? not to knock your Zuma, I think its a great scoot and Yamaha is top of the line, but maybe your speedometer is off, my speedometer is off at about 10 mph on my Tmax, meaursed it with gps and the radar signs thru road construction
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote