User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Your on indian land.

We lit out of Taos west on 64, then south on 96 past the Jicarilla Apache indian reservation to 197 and deep into the heart of indian country.

gallinastrips screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 02:53 PM Reason: title
gallinastrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,533
Tease.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

Our first stop was in the small town of Abiquiu to fix one of the riders heated vest and to grab a quick breakfast burrito. I also got gas because I don't get the mileage or have the tank to get across these vast desert stretchesBrrr it is cold today.

Bodes/Phillip 66 in Abiquiu NM. If your ever in this neck of the woods and need a bite to eat and a tank of gas this is the place, quick, cheap, and very good.

Riding with the Doctor

I tried taking some moving shots with my new little Canon cheapo attached to a Ram mount but the vibes from this KTM proved to be to much, tried tricking the camera by changing the ISO etc., but would not work. Can't control aperture or shutter with this one, and now it not longer matters because I dropped it down the road.

gallinastrips screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 05:39 AM
Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

Cuba NM and everybody had to stop for gas, not just me

The Ninja you see in this picture was not so stealth and would not make it back in one piece

Back on the road heading south on 197 towards Grants through indian country. We soon ran into road construction with a little dirt riding, which made some of the group a little nervous.

Sorry about the dots, think this camera needs to be sent in for a cleaning.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

We stopped for lunch at La Ventana in Grants to refuel our bellies, take a short break, and get mas petrol. La Ventana is the place to eat in Grants, unless you prefer Subway that is. Not a whole lot to take shots of in Grants and no one was waiting around for that either. We jumped on the Interstate for a few miles until we reached 117 where we headed south past the Acoma Res and down towards the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.

After 420 miles we made our first days destination of Glenwood NM. Tomorrow we will loop 191. AKA The Devil's Backbone, The Devil's Highway, or simply old 666 into Arizona. Have a good night and see ya in the morning

Our rooms in Glenwood.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Arc 21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Talking

Cool bikes, lively lookin' crew..........careful on the "Backbone" Fellers' !
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

I got up before sunrise, grabbed my cameras, tip-toed out the front door so I would not wake my roommate, and found a Forest Service access road right behind our cabinas to walk up.

You see lots of signs like this in the SouthWest

And this!

When I got back from the walk the crew was stirring and the rides were looking good.

gallinastrips screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 09:47 AM
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

We took off north on 180 out of Glenwood headed towards Arizona 191. After a short thirty mile ride over some sweet twisties we stopped at the Adobe Cafe for some breakfast, to look over our maps, and to have a rider safety meeting about the ride we were going on today. We will be riding the notorious Devil's Backbone, Arizona 191 from Alpine Arizona to Clifton Arizona. This road is a very technical, twisty, winding, cliff ridden road for sixty miles, and is a destination for motorcyclists and sports car drivers from across the country. We talked about riding within your own limits, giving riders in front of you some space, and having a good time. Well it almost worked but not fully.

Having breakfast and looking over some maps at the Adobe Cafe. This is another great little joint on the corner of 180 and 12 by Reserve NM

Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

After we had breakfast we continued on 180 and crossed the state boarder into Alpine Arizona, of course I had to stop for gas again. Two stayed with me while I fueled up and then we took off to catch the rest of the group. When we got to the Backbone most of the riders got spread out and I was following one other rider. The two of us hustled through about thirty five miles of hairpin corners passing some of the riders parked on the side of the road checking out the view and caught up to some of the others and passed them. About three-quarters of the way through the Backbone we came on the lead rider parked on the side of the road at a rest area. We stopped to wait for the rest of the riders, shoot the shit. and take in the view.

Looking down at the southern end of the Backbone almost to Clifton.

Alright, who's the wise guy who carved this into the picnic table on the Devil's Backbone?

All the riders showed up in the next fifteen minutes or so except for one. We waited another twenty or so before we decided to send a few back to look for him. Ten minutes after they back tracked looking for the missing rider we heard sirens coming up from the southern end of the road. About twenty miles back our riders came on the scene of the wreck where a couple on older BMW's were helping our friend who low sided himself into a ravine. Luckily for our riding partner he had passed the two BMW's a few corners before he low sided, and when they came around the corner they saw a cloud of dust blowing over the road. At first they kept riding but a few miles down the road one of them noticed he was not seeing our friend in any of the corners down the road. At this point they turned around and went back to where they saw the dust cloud, sure enough they found him over the edge and about twenty feet down in some rocks and trees. Their cell phones worked and they called 911. Turns out the rider is okay but the bike is a total.

Back tracking to look for missing rider on the Backbone

Old 05-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
gallinastrips OP
Studly Adventurer

We were able to keep in touch with the riders that were with our crashed friend by cell phone and after about an hour they told us to ride to Clifton for some lunch. The three of us rode down to the mining town of Clifton together. If the 191 is the Devil's Backbone, Clifton is HELL. This town is an open pit mine about ten miles across consisting of a hole where a mountain once stood, red dust, fences, and mining trucks with orange flags on them. I made sure not to drink the tap water here. After lunch at a good BBQ stand on the side of the road the three of us headed back towards Glenwood over Mule Creek pass. Mule Creek pass is an awesome road with sweet flowing sweepers. Made it back to Glenwood at about sundown after a few hundred mile day. Turned out to be longer then the day before but about half the miles, that crash really shook up the day. Our two remaining riders pulled in about twenty minutes after the three of us, and the crashed rider would be taking the plane home from Phoenix

Getting more gas before heading over Mule Creek Pass. These are some funky old rusty pumps with dials but the gas worked good.

See ya in the morning

gallinastrips screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 05:18 AM
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Looks like a nice ride and glad your buddy is OK.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
biglefti
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I can't believe you didn't mention the Catwalks in Glenwood. I visited there just a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by a number of bikini clad girls visiting some of the pools along this short but beautiful hike.
biglefti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 414
Beautiful scenery , love New Mexico !!!
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Enjoyed that thanks nice to see signs without bullet holes!

ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,723
Love LOVE this photo. Cool ride report
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallinastrips View Post

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote