User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #136
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 467
The Beginning of the End

The next morning, after a nice breakfast at the Bake Shop we headed up the Turnagain Arm.

Photobucket

For some reason we decided to stop on the way through, I don't know, might have been the view. At any rate, we snapped a final picture of us together in Alaska for remembrance perhaps, then rolled to the Airport.

Photobucket

Then all I needed to do was decided where to ride next......I kind of felt like some sand........
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #137
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Kalifornsky Sky

The mountains were nice, sure, amazing but living landlocked makes beaches ideal while on vacation. After dropping Tina off and checking out the employment opportunities at the airport the rat and I headed back down the Kenai. From the scouting I did earlier I found a few nice little spots off the Kalifornsky beach access point. I found a nice one and popped the top…

….then headed out to enjoy the surroundings.

Unloaded the bike and enjoyed the sunset.

Now I realize that many of you guys are much more well traveled than I, and I am sure there are a handful of contenders, Bay of LA in Baja is one that comes to mind, and feel free to post your evidence for others if you would like, but I have to say that the most amazing sunsets in the world are viewed across the Cook Inlet at the volcanoes on the other side.

But this night it was just mediocre.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #138
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Cohoe South

I checked the tide charts and headed out accordingly; luckily the timing was good. I packed my lunch and topped off the gas, stopping on the way around. Heading south on the beach from Kalifornsky required a bit of a detour. I have wasted enough time looking up the name on the internet now but there is a large river between Kalifornsky and Cohoe, so I headed into Kasilof and had to go all the way out to the highway to get around to the next beach access point south….the details are a little hazy; I have been dragging this little story out for a long time now.
Anyways, I made my way to the bridge and then found the beach access point, where Parepin and I made it out a few weeks prior. I hopped on, gassed it up to get enough speed to get on top of the sand and blasted down the beach towards Clam Gulch.

I have to say the beaches are good for riding up there. They say that the Sea of Cortez, down in Baja, has the 2nd highest tide fluctuation on the planet. Second to one in Alaska, now I’m not sure that it is the Cook Inlet but the drastic tide fluctuations smooths out the sand nicely. For the most part it isn’t too rocky either. When it gets to nothing but round river rocks you have to be super careful because it will throw you down and snap your leg in a blink of an eye.

Not good when you are riding solo and there is no one around.

As you can see, I didn’t bother washing the bike.

It was overcast and foggy in at first but cleared off as I went along.

Before long the volcanoes on the other side appeared and I had to stop for pictures.

I stopped to hang out with the locals for a minute.

Then stopped to take some more pictures….

…..again and again of the same thing.

Then one more picture of where I came from….

…..before I kept on south.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #139
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Cohoe South (Part 2)

Before too long I ran into a waterfall. This one was pretty cool with all the mineral settlement turning the bank orange.

The little stream from the waterfall was nothing, but before too long I came across this.

Actually this is looking back at it, but this is the main reason you have to mind the tides on the route. If you just go out into the tide flats as far as possible it gets nice and shallow.

But, I did have someone suggest that it is illegal to cross the streams during the salmon run and there were even cameras monitoring it. Not sure I believe all that and there were plenty of ATVs that didn’t seem to worry about it too much. So, I figure that when in Rome…

It is funny that no one seems to worry much about the State Troopers, but they scared shitless of the Department of Fish and Game.

After a bit more cruising down the beach, I crossed another waterfall just as a couple locals were packing up camp and heading back up.

It was a nice place so I hung out for a bit.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #140
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Cohoe South (Part 3: The Stump Tavern)

It is interesting; there are quite a few houses in some sections that are only accessible during low tide. The only way in or out is up the beach to one of the access points. I was zipping along, passing the houses and I saw an old guy driving a front-end loader, and not just a little Bobcat. I passed him and thought what the heck; he waived and seemed friendly so I turned around to chat.

He had quite the setup and I was more than curious.

He quickly invited me in and showed me the Stump Tavern, he even had a sign…..

….and a decent view.

Then he showed me why it was called the Stump Tavern. We was proud of it too, he shipped it in from not sure where. It might have been Oregon actually and he carved it out himself.

So, I sat down with him and had a beer. He started to tell me about how the past winter the waves were coming into his living room in the lighthouse tower, and how the storm had pushed up past and tore up the storm wall he made out of 50 ft. pipes (15.25m).

It was a sweet place and greatly admired the ingenuity but I had more beach to ride and I was burning daylight.

Photobucket

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #141
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Cohoe South (Part 4)

But soon I was riding through the little stream and passing my favorite camp spot, Whiskey Gulch. I knew that my fun for the day was ending, so I started playing around a bit, blasting figure eights and skidding the back tire.

I wish all of you the feel of feathering the throttle on a power-slide in the deep sand on a dirtbike with no extra stuff.

The KLR is OK for it, but I sure wouldn’t want to ride 967 miles (1556k) on my dirtbike in a day.

After playing around for a while and getting cut off by the Anchor River, I pulled off by the little rope swing and relaxed for a while.

Then I took some more pictures.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #142
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Cohoe South (Part 5)

It was hard to leave Whiskey Gulch, I love that place. The other beach access points are nice, but for some reason this one sticks out. Clam Gulch is secluded but there is not much shelter other than old trailer up on stilts, and Kalifornsky is beautiful but there are houses around.

I would have loved to stay, but, the tide was coming in and I needed to get back. I left the rope swing a ways south of the access point and headed up the sand.

Not without stopping for another picture or two of the mighty Iliamna however.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #143
Red Zebra
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post

Great pic! High-tailing it as the saying goes!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #144
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zebra View Post
Great pic! High-tailing it as the saying goes!
No kidding! It kept running for quite a while before darting off the road, plenty long enough to grab my camera as I followed along. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #145
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Cohoe South (Part 6, Back Up)

There was no way I wanted to ride the highway back up so I kept my eyes peeled for other options. I found a turnoff that looked promising and checked it out.

But soon, I had to pull over for my then two year old KLR was turning 19,000 miles (30.058 km).

The dirt didn’t last too long, it was just a little path connecting a few housing subdivisions paralleling the main highway.

And I lapped in every second.

But before too long I was rolling back into camp, starting a fire, and figuring out some dinner with plenty of time before sunset.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #146
AKFish
AKFish

Oddometer: 2
Looks like you had a great trip. I appreciate seeing someone elses perspective on my stomping ground.
AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #147
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Thanks AKFish, we are blessed to be able to take a trip like that. Thanks for reading and for your first post, hopefully I am coming close to doing it justice.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #148
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

I mixed up a drink and the ugly rat and I headed out to enjoy evening on the beach.

Photobucket
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #149
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

We ran into some interesting fungus.

Photobucket
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #150
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

And stared out over the wonder of Redoubt and Iliamna.

Photobucket