Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #496
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Rode up to Newcomb's for breakfast this morning. First time up Hwy-2 for PROJECT-S.
Long (no so) high speed sweepers, this is what this bike was built for.

Apologize for the poor quality photos, took my cheesy pocket camera and shot in a mixed lighting situation without fill flash. That will teach me to bring one of my Nikon's next time.

TINK
i knew i saw ya coming down the hill as i was coming up the hill. on my way back down there was a bad wreck and the road was closed for a good bit of time.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #497
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
This has been a great thread. Nicely documented. Some foul ups and resolved to correction. Results looking excellent. Put on some miles this year and bump things up for next year. Alloy billit upper tri-clamp will firm things up nicely. Koni shocks on the rear worked very well on these top tier Airheads back then, and still do on mine.

Hope to see you in Salem at Airheads Central.
DoktorT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #498
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Alloy billit upper tri-clamp will firm things up nicely.
noticeable as soon as you pull out of the driveway........ toaster tan will hook you up nicely.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #499
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
noticeable as soon as you pull out of the driveway........ toaster tan will hook you up nicely.
So will Boxer-Metal on here. As well as SJBMW/CC Products, the first of the alloy top clamps still available.
DoktorT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #500
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

yeah, chris at boxer metal is GREAT, i forgot he started making those.

i dont have any experience with the sjbmw product.

toaster tan's is like jewelry, as i imagine chris' is as well
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #501
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Wreck

I've learned to get up and down the hill early before the idiots take to the road.

Was there an older gray 4-door Honda involved in that wreck? On my way down there was a Honda going 5 mph perhaps with it's 4-way flashers on... I came around a tight right-hand corner at about 40 mph and was surprised to see it there, got around okay but my next thought was that someone in a car was going to plow into them.

Last weekend my buddy and I were stopped at the Ventura county line for 45 minutes or so while they landed a life flight helicopter on PCH after a head on.

Be safe out there.

TINK

Quote:
i knew i saw ya coming down the hill as i was coming up the hill. on my way back down there was a bad wreck and the road was closed for a good bit of time.
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #502
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Ikon = koni

Thanks DoktorT, it's been fun sharing my build with the ADVrider community.

I've already upgraded to IKON suspension and I can say the bike is very stable at speed. Switched to Michelin Activ and have been very happy with them. Tried 30psi today, was running 36psi, and found this to be a better feel in the canyons.

I'm up to 1,500+ miles on her to date and am confident enough to take her for 200+ mile days. She's a road burner for sure.

billet triple tree is defiantly something I'll consider. For now I'm still riding her gently at speed until I get a better feel for this old girl. She's nothing like my ST1300-ABS that will dance with the best of them. She get's the respect a 35 year old machine with `60's engineering deserves.

Don't know about Salem yet, had to change plans and fly to Oregon, so no PROJECT-S appearance. Will be in Corvallis for family gathering, but hope to sneak over to Salem for a bit.

TINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
This has been a great thread. Nicely documented. Some foul ups and resolved to correction. Results looking excellent. Put on some miles this year and bump things up for next year. Alloy billit upper tri-clamp will firm things up nicely. Koni shocks on the rear worked very well on these top tier Airheads back then, and still do on mine.

Hope to see you in Salem at Airheads Central.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #503
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

all i saw was a smashed up sportbike, and a utility trailer, no car, no ambulance, police had the road blocked off til all was clear. a line of about 200 people, maybe 80 cars, and a bunch of bikes.

we hit the bottom of the hill at 9am, had to overtake a big diesel bus, but other than a couple slow harleys, we were running pretty good. breakfaast was good, and we headed down the hill about 1130. only to be stopped less than 2 miles from la canada.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #504
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Pissed Jerk

Thank goodness the guys in the Honda got down the hill safely.

I started up the hill about 7:00am. Got behind a guy in an older BMW car that was pushing 5 to 10 over the the speed limit from the freeway to the end of the homes, then, for no good reason the SOB slowed down to 30 when we hit the forest, slowing to 20 on the tight turns... had to wait until the passing lane to get buy the jerk... then is was SEE YA

TINK

Quote:
all i saw was a smashed up sportbike, and a utility trailer, no car, no ambulance, police had the road blocked off til all was clear. a line of about 200 people, maybe 80 cars, and a bunch of bikes.

we hit the bottom of the hill at 9am, had to overtake a big diesel bus, but other than a couple slow harleys, we were running pretty good. breakfaast was good, and we headed down the hill about 1130. only to be stopped less than 2 miles from la canada.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #505
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2 My friends 1977 r100s

My friend Mike York talked his cousin Ed in MI into selling him his one owner 1977 R100S. Mike had the bike shipped out to CA. The bike has only 11K miles and is in showroom new condition. Original everything.

I helped Mike put a rear main seal and oil pump cover o-ring (the S M A L L one) in this past Saturday... seeing as I'm now an "expert" at this

I met Mike through Ride for Kids. His daughter Amanda is a pediatric brain tumor survivor and an all around good kid. Mike has raised TEN's of thousands of dollars for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. The least I could do for him is help get his airhead back into action.

Enjoy the ride Mike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4loMY55rbJ4

TINK
Old 07-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #506
Mikeyork5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks for your help TINK - I really appreciate it. Once I get the carbs/fueling sorted out we are going for a ride. Also, thank you for YOUR dedication to the Los Angeles Ride for Kids where you have been instrumental for putting on the event the last how many years, 20 or so?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #507
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Yellow Devil Gear Exchange Chrystal Lake Ride

From the cockpit of PROJECT-S on the road to Chrystal Lake with Yellow Devil Gear Exchange, Aug 2013 http://www.yellowdevilgear.com/

TINK
Old 08-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #508
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Nice bike you built s series always look nice. I am glad you did not make another cafe racer.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #509
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
Nice bike you built s series always look nice. I am glad you did not make another cafe racer.
Thanks orangebear. I'm really happy to finally own an "S". In my youth (many years ago) I had lust for the R90S, but too little cash to actually buy one.

TINK
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #510
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Thanks orangebear. I'm really happy to finally own an "S". In my youth (many years ago) I had lust for the R90S, but too little cash to actually buy one.

TINK
My dad had a red r100s and took me on the back from 11yrs and now I ride a r100gs at 26
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote