Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #1561
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,763
Hi Dave

The Berg has the HDB tower. Link >> HDB Link

The nice thing is that with four bolts all the Nav gear is out and you are back in enduro mode

Later,
D.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #1562
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Found on the KTM Racing Facebookpage:

Quote:
First shot of the 12cm Wide Super slim carbon fiber Front assembly for the new KTM Racing 450 R rally. It might look long but from the riders perspective you see almost nothing, only the roadbook. It is also around 40% lighter than the previous construction. KISKA Design / KTM Technologies.
cu
Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #1563
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 854
Does anyone have the part number for the connectors (plus the pinout if possible) for the ICO and F2R roadbook? These are the barrel type connectors.

Thanks
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #1564
640 Armageddon
-oo-

You mean the M8 circular connectors?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #1565
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Does anyone have the part number for the connectors (plus the pinout if possible) for the ICO and F2R roadbook? These are the barrel type connectors.

Thanks
https://www.buerklin.com/default.asp...=&l=e&ch=62596
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #1566
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 854
Thanks Chris. That's them.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #1567
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering what you think of my latest ADV remote variation, designed to take the KTM/Husaberg CEV switches:

The one on the right has provision for extra buttons, could be an extra 2 for a 2nd trip master (Id run my heated grip switch here I think, maybe a PTT if I had comms gear).

I should be able to design a bracket to put a toggle switch that hangs under the indicator switch too for anyone that would prefer a toggle over pushbuttons for the roadbook.

Any change suggestions or comments? Im pretty happy with it so far, might try to get a prototype made soon. Will have to be plastic though.

Gany.
Hi Gany

Has this switch gone into production?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #1568
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292

Does anyone know what this screen is made out of ?

Where would you start if you wanted to make a replica ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #1569
Tomaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post

Thanks
Hi Pilo, if you still need the pinouts, please email ou PM me.
Regards,
Tomaz Pessanha, F2R
Tomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #1570
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Hi Gany

Has this switch gone into production?
I've seen these in person. Gany did a great job of design, its well thought out and allows for lots of customisation. Production, I think he has a lot on his plate at the moment but I'm sure he will be on here soon enough to give an update.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #1571
640 Armageddon
-oo-

May be a little bit out of the tower subject, but it shows some material behaviour, hence I am adding this post here...

Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #1572
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
May be a little bit out of the tower subject, but it shows some material behaviour, hence I am adding this post here...
The last one was with the lid on, so not comparable.
The second alu one, no complete weld.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #1573
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
The last one was with the lid on, so not comparable.
The second alu one, no complete weld.
First, apologies for that, I am not trying to fool anybody, just trying to add to the knowledge pool with whatever means I have.
A scientific experiment would replicate the results every single time. The video, is not ''scientific'' in that sense. We dropped the weight and leave it to impact due to gravity. Was every impact the same? No. But it shows some material behavior and that is what we wanted to focus when we chose material for Mk1. The video is there to show that the Carbon will absorb the energy and destroy itself in the process, the aluminium will bend and the Mk1 will deform and spring back. This is the most important property.

Your statements are indeed true. I will go a little bit more technical to explain whys and whats ...

The lid, in this particular material does not make any difference. We just wanted to see if the lid will break or not. As the video shows, the lid opens upon impact so not so much of a difference there. Yes indeed it absorbed some of the impact, but I have the same exact Video without the cover but the shell is so elastic that it bounced back out of the rig upon impact I will explain a little bit more in a bit... >>

As far as the aluminium is concerned, the full welds will not make a difference. And there is a good reason for that. The reason is the following. If you see the impact on the aluminium, the 6kg weight does not bounce at all. The aluminium absorbs much larger energy than the carbon and the Mk1 shell. This will always be true. And the problem here is not so much the amount of deformation but the permanent factor. Screw with the shell of any other available device and there are no spares available to deal with. If you are in a race ,you have to change the whole unit anyways. The cover in all the competitors, Mk1 included, will reduce the impact force but will move out of the way in all cases. I have seen numerous failed Nav towers and Holders. The cover is just not there Imagine that the aluminium will absorb ten times the energy of what the Mk1 absorbs (the elasticity here plays the most important role). Now, take into account that every single holder out there has a 2mm shell and not 3mm and you can imagine how sensitive (compared with the 3mm) the 2mm alu will be.

The CF part it is elastic in a sense, but again, you have to look so much into resins, methods etc, which in my opinion will be very expensive for the end user. And if the resin cracks, then, for me, the part should be replaced. Of course you can use different thicknesses, different weave patterns etc, and thermoplastic resins that are flexible enough blah blah. By the time you get the shell right it will be pretty expensive imho.

The Mk1 shell, is as flexible as it goes in this area. The same material is used in a variety of areas including bulletproof glasses, It is this property (the impact strength) that makes it survive. And there are plans for other parts from this material, towers included. What you do not see are the internals. The shell itself will survive. The internals may get damaged, the outside knobs may get damaged but the shell will spring back. Now, one must wonder if a flexible shell will work every single time. No. The plan is to increase the chances of survival. Not to create a unit that will survive the worst accident in the rally era . If you see the transmission video, the internals have a ''free play'' inside the shell so the impact can be absorbed in a controlled way. If the impact force is higher, the cartridge will collapse and the racer will change cartridge (even certain parts of the cartridge if need be). This can be done on the fly and there is no need to fiddle with the tower.

Apologies for writing a book
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 03:20 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #1574
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Nice explanation Dimitri!

I may have missed it but what material did you end up using for the mk1?

You are correct that a carbon part should be replaced if the resin cracks.

Cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #1575
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Thanks Michael,

At the moment we are focusing in thermoplastic materials and we are playing with reinforcing them with glass fibers. It takes out some of the flexibility (the more you add the more ''rigid'' and ''fragile'' the part) but it absorbs the energy better (as you know glass fibers break in the process ). There is a fine line there before the shell gets damaged. Pure thermoplastics will almost be impossible to break. Thermoplastics are good because they are also light. Of course you have to go thicker, but still they are lighter than the Alu solution. It is like a rubber ball, if the ball bounces back to the original shape, no energy was lost (that is why it bounces back to the original height). The more flexible, the less energy it is transferred ''into'' it. I was amazed by the Carbon flexibility though. It felt rock solid at rest ...
The big point is to either divert the side impacts to areas that can absorb them or create controlled impact zones which collapse if the hit exceeds a certain value. It is doable but it will take some serious design and experiments.... I will get to the bottom of this

Will have some mounting bracket high speed videos in a week or so,