User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #1951
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
My Cheap Roadbook Approach

I'll be doing my first roadbook style weekend (HBD Paul pretty sure you'll be there too -- look me up, I'm Andre the tall guy - see my bike below).

For me, roadbook is an experiment for me though I know the weekend is going to be fun.

So I've been doing a little prep, and doing it on the cheap. I know it isn't perfect but here are my thoughts and approach...

1 - I fabricate in my spare time so I made some quick, cheap, lightweight mods out of steel and aluminum I had lying around to mount the road book to my bike and other mods with minimal weight and very light effort. The roadbook mount required some light fab in steel. The headlight mods was $5 in spare home depot aluminum, my 4.5" grinder with cutoff wheel, and drill. Very simple / basic.

2 - Scored a cheap used Touratech roadbook holder that works perfectly. I know the touratech aren't as good as others but the price was right and this is my first time using one, so didn't want to put a ton of $$ into it for now. I will likely sell it and get a FSR one at some point assuming I do more roadbook races. This said i'm actually pretty impressed with the plastic gear driven design of the Touratech so far. Weight is a little high at 2+ lbs though.

3 - I have highway dirtbikes dash dashboard plate and barkbusters. This was huge for my integration and gave me lots of meat to bolt things too.

Here is the setup:

A) I use the stock headlight housing (which a lot of people say sucks) but it's actually the bulb that sucks, not the housing. I use a PIAA vibration proof high output H4 Bulb that I've never blown in years of use. Because it is a traditional halogen bulb, it works fine on AC so you don't have to rewire. Light turns off with the bike off, and though the factory stator only puts out 35 watts it is still super bright, and most importantly for me, still very light. I'm all for LED and other technolgies but this is cheap, easy, light, and very durable.

I use my glue gun to glue to bulb into the housing. Click here to see complete photo gallery of H4 bulbs integrated into KTM and Baja Designs lights. In some cases I've adapted an H4 clasp from a broken lamp - you have lots of options. For the KTM headlight housing (which is plastic) I also added some filters in some holes to make vents to keep fresh air coming through and it has not every melted the housing. There is also a company that makes H7 bulb (very similar bulb) adapters for KTM lights. This is a good cheap way to get light without spending ton of money.

Here is the PIAA bulb in the headlight:

B) In an effort to have more room behind the headlight, some better wind protection for the road book (comes in front of the roadbook instead of below it, I spaced my headlight out and upwards about 2" forward and 1.5" upward. I used some light aluminum strap to move forward, and a couple of small bolts drilled through the front fender with some plastic spacers to move it up. I also think this looks better and it will probably be this way permanently now.

C) Here is the roadbook mount bolted to the HBD dashboard. Only 2 little bolts and .2 lbs for the mount:

Drawbacks:
1) near to me, personally, when on the bike. Most road bikes are spaced way farther forward. May also be a nut buster, we'll see if I wreck.
2) Moves with the handlebars.

Benefits
1) Cheap
2) Light weight
3) Box mounted vertically over handlebars reduces swing weight while steering.
4) Should be durable

Psyched to see how it turns out in real world use. I also have a spare junk Iphone 4 for GPS odo coming shortly mounted to RAM mount using Phil's RallyBlitz app.

Also to note is I modified HDB bark busters to fit the Gatos Brothers pinches. I kept the HDB threaded inserts at the end of the handlebars. With these, the threaded insert, and the HDB dash mount for the bark busters, I believe I have the ultimate heavy duty light weight bark buster setup..

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 05:27 PM
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #1952
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Hey dieselcruiserhead:
That looks pretty good.........one thing that jumps out to me and I sure hope you have thought of.......is there any way the front brake hose could wrap around the roadbook holder?

Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #1953
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 887
Andre - Looks great. Are those 6's on the roadbook mount or did you tap them out to 8's? I'm pretty sure if those are 6's they won't last the weekend. That's a pretty large moment on those little fasteners.
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #1954
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Thx phil, typical ktm oddness - factory bolts that are 8mm with 8mm socket heads - what would normally be a 10mm head. That said, it's a good point and I have the tap set handy. More than the mount I'm now concerned about is the factory touratech design and the roadbook possibly adjusting itself while on the whoops. So I may add a little more steel to keep it aligned correctly despite that the mount is tight..

Re the brake line, looks like it will interfere but it pivots forward of the roadbook and only more so on full compression. Basically out of the way, luckily... This is one more reason / benefit of the headlight being forward, it naturally moves the brake line forward and out of the way...

Thanks guys.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #1955
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadie1 View Post
Navigation was perfect all week with no penalties. This was, to some extent, made possible due having a completely reliable road book holder which did not require ANY manual manipulation throughout the week. Thats the first time in 7 international rally's that I have been able to say that.
Now I just need to speed everything up a bit. Roll on Hellas.
Congrats on finishing the Tuareg Duncan, and thanks for the feedback
Glad to know everything worked as it should, Tuareg is odd in the sense that the paper is rolled from top to bottom, so it is good to confirm that in Tunisia the unit performed as tested.

Andre,
Nice mounts, Actually the RB is in an area that is protected from falls, I see also the ram mount and the iphone will be protected there as well. Nice setup. The only drawback is that you have to look down further than normal, but I guess you know that already
The Touratech unit will not rotate accidentaly, I have used it with this setup once on a 24hrs Rally Raid, but I put some rubber between the clamp things and the shaft so that I increase the preload and attenuate some vibrations (on top of the rubber grommets that the thinck plate has). The only thing that worries me, without knowing the thinckness of the metal you used, is the ''T'' junction plate that connects the handlebar bracket with the roadbook. As this will continually flex front and backwards it may create cracks in the plate somewhere. It may survive, but just a word of caution. Vibrations are a nightmare for these parts...

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 06:21 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #1956
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Some news from lab tests...

Mounting bracket so far has survived everything we have thrown at it ...
It is also lighter than aluminium alternatives and cheaper than composites.
Will continue testing it next month and keep getting feedback from the testers, then refine as necessary and go into production.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 02:52 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #1957
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
But will it blend??

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI
Old 03-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #1958
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
But will it blend??
ahahahaha, that's hilarious

I guess we may have to go back to the drawing board
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #1959
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
ahahahaha, that's hilarious

I guess we may have to go back to the drawing board
Indeed!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #1960
sh4kes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
HDB Nav Tower on DR650

I havent finished the setup yet, but here's a preview of an HDB nav tower (frame mount) and fairing on a DR650 with FXR 3.0 HID projectors. (To make these fit I had to space the front fairing out by 80mm (it's still super tight, so that may increase slightly).

The frame headstock is tapped and the tower mounting bracket bolts threaded in. I added a nut on the back for no reason other than why not. I couldnt fit the nylocs (as seen in the pic), so I loctite'd regular nuts on instead.

sh4kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #1961
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4kes View Post
I havent finished the setup yet, but here's a preview of an HDB nav tower (frame mount) and fairing on a DR650 with FXR 3.0 HID projectors. (To make these fit I had to space the front fairing out by 80mm (it's still super tight, so that may increase slightly).

The frame headstock is tapped and the tower mounting bracket bolts threaded in. I added a nut on the back for no reason other than why not. I couldnt fit the nylocs (as seen in the pic), so I loctite'd regular nuts on instead.

Slightly off topic but... what are you using for the radio mount? Looks like you have the same Yaesu as I have.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #1962
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Slightly off topic but... what are you using for the radio mount? Looks like you have the same Yaesu as I have.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683821
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #1963
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516

Nice work so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4kes View Post

Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #1964
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hi guys,

anyone got some experience with the guys from http://www.mt-rally.com/index.php?route=common/home ?

Wrote a email 5days ago, still no response. The products seemed very well made and the price is good (when is as good as it looks)
Don´t want to order for 1k and not getting anything
Rensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #1965
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
Try their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mtrally
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote