ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #1966
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,212
My bracket held up pretty well. I am going to redesign it and move it a little farther forward (with a wind screen of some sort) and slightly beefier, but no issues even with a couple tumbles or challenging the bike.

head over here. Plenty of mud on it but no real force affecting it... hit a big patch of deep mud at probably 20-30 or so...



then this one was basically me trying to get around this fence when I found this hole and little descent.



The Gatos Bros pinches worked phenomenally well - zero rotation of bark busters whatsoever... But on this one the road book was slightly banged up and the mount was slightly bent, but bent right back very easily. This was towards the end of day 2 in the last 15 miles, but still holding up great..

Also, in all loved roadbook navigating. Def going to work on something more permanent now...

Likely also going to do the Sheetiron 300 I think too...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #1967
MakS
Adventurer
 
MakS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Mosсow
Oddometer: 83
new products









MakS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #1968
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,760
Following Tony with the RNS tripmasters, I spotted these photos








Now, expect noticing that Tony is the photos notice the bar that it is supposed to protect the motor in the event of a crash. KTM has no such things and for a good reason imo.
I keep wondering why the motors are outside. depending on the paper roll size you want to fit inside the roadbook, the motor can fit inside without interfering with the assembly. It is protected from the elements and it is always easier to replace. Especially F2r has the smallest motor I have seen in a roadbook. When F2r came into market, long before Migtec or any other alternative at the time, this innovation was a big step forward. I just hope I am not missing something foundamental here

Also notice that Helder does not have these motor protectors on the roadbook holder... Either HRC thought that he will not crash or they did not care
__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #1969
Happe
Offroad Nut
 
Happe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Wales UK or Switzerland
Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
.... I just hope I am not missing something foundamental here
...
Without the Motor outside, where do you put your watch?
Without watch you wouldn't know the time and be late for Dinner!

Stefan



Quote:

RNS Tripmaser: The Choice of World Champions!
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #1970
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe View Post
Without the Motor outside, where do you put your watch?
Without watch you wouldn't know the time and be late for Dinner!
Stefan


Indeed I missed that part of the equation
As an aside, this is the newest ''civil'' mounting bracket, capable of accomodating the i-phone HDB case.



Either three trip computers, or one (bottom left) and the iphone case (top middle).

This is what the Roadbook looks from another angle


Will have to try this in navigation towers, mounting brackets etc... Zebra paintings sOOn.
__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #1971
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,493
Sweet! So is that a standoff to keep the Roadbook from scratching the screen?
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #1972
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Sweet! So is that a standoff to keep the Roadbook from scratching the screen?
You mean the polymer stripe in the middle of the screen ?
__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #1973
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
You mean the polymer stripe in the middle of the screen ?
Yes sir.
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #1974
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,760
This serves a couple (actually more but what the heck... ) of purposes.
First, we have seen that it serves as a paper guide. i.e. it will (in conjuction with the polymer backside beneath the paper that allows people to write onto the paper while the roadbook is inside the shell) guide the paper and keep it straight. Not a mechanical guide, but it makes a difference.
The second reason is that it also serves as a light reflector. The roadbook has two lights. Above and below the paper, much like the old Casio watches. This strip helps reflect the light onto the paper.
The third, and most important reason is that it acts (in conjuction with other mechanical brakes in the roadbook) as a paper tentioner. It keeps pressing the paper down so that when it is rolled the diameter of the roll is kept to a minimum.
Finally, it keeps the paper steady. Which means that (1) the paper will never roll or unroll accidentally and (2) that the paper will never look fuzzy no matter how the bike vibrates...

Let's think of another two eh?
__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 09:52 AM Reason: spelling mistakes.. again...
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1975
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,493
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. It's a lot of fun watching the design develop!
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #1976
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Au
Oddometer: 299
First ever rally done and dusted. A few things put to the (crash) test:
- stem mounted tower worked a treat, no weight on the bars, I needed every advantage I could get having not ridden for a few years.
- stem mounted probably more vulnerable, however given the nature of my crash I doubt bar mounted would have made a difference. End result, bent aluminium 'T' stem, bent roadbook support plate, busted screen



- 8mm HDPE side plates still standing perfectly straight and true, not a mark on them No doubt, this plastic is the way to go forwards. I am now trying to redesign things to eliminate the aluminium pieces from my design

Very happy with my latest design for the ADV remote. All road switches are in the stock location (not sure I actually like the CEV switches, seem to jam up with dust and mud but that is a different story...). The tripmaster buttons worked all weekend and the toggle did not fail. It was potted with electronics silicone, survived 8hours of pissing rain to get to Condo and survived all the dust and mud. A pity the tripmaster wheel sensor cable failed at some point, I was really liking the setup.



I will get a few more of these out there for testing and subject to interest I can make some more for the market if people are interested.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #1977
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dansin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Very happy with my latest design for the ADV remote. All road switches are in the stock location (not sure I actually like the CEV switches, seem to jam up with dust and mud but that is a different story...). The tripmaster buttons worked all weekend and the toggle did not fail. It was potted with electronics silicone, survived 8hours of pissing rain to get to Condo and survived all the dust and mud. A pity the tripmaster wheel sensor cable failed at some point, I was really liking the setup.

I will get a few more of these out there for testing and subject to interest I can make some more for the market if people are interested.
I've got no events lined up so can't offer any rally testing but if you do market them I'd be very interested.
dansin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #1978
Gerduro
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Not sure exactly and this might be getting slightly off topic and into vendor category...

It shouldnt be hard to make it IMO 100R50 compatible either by supplying an adaptor cable or a connector to put on your existing cable. Have you got a photo of the current connector on the IMO?

Hi Gany

looks great do you have more photos from different angles...
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #1979
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
First ever rally done and dusted. A few things put to the (crash) test:
- stem mounted tower worked a treat, no weight on the bars, I needed every advantage I could get having not ridden for a few years.
- stem mounted probably more vulnerable, however given the nature of my crash I doubt bar mounted would have made a difference. End result, bent aluminium 'T' stem, bent roadbook support plate, busted screen

- 8mm HDPE side plates still standing perfectly straight and true, not a mark on them No doubt, this plastic is the way to go forwards. I am now trying to redesign things to eliminate the aluminium pieces from my design

Very happy with my latest design for the ADV remote. All road switches are in the stock location (not sure I actually like the CEV switches, seem to jam up with dust and mud but that is a different story...). The tripmaster buttons worked all weekend and the toggle did not fail. It was potted with electronics silicone, survived 8hours of pissing rain to get to Condo and survived all the dust and mud. A pity the tripmaster wheel sensor cable failed at some point, I was really liking the setup.

I will get a few more of these out there for testing and subject to interest I can make some more for the market if people are interested.
Nice to hear the feedback Gany, keep up the good work !
__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #1980
michael1968
Studly Adventurer
 
michael1968's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Oddometer: 655
Time to share some pictures of my latest nav tower I ran at the recent Condo 750. This year I was on a 2011 530 EXC.

Fairing is the centre part of a 690RR, made from carbon & kevlar.



The tower is mounted to the head stem with an aluminium block 50mm wide, 4 x M8 bolts through holes in the stem backed up with 6mm steel plate inside with matching threaded plate. You can tell these photos are taken after the event, you can see the red dirt!



Two 3mm aluminium plates come off the stem mount.



The roadbook holder plate is mounted to a 50 x 20 mm RHS that's been attacked by a hole saw.



Roadbook still showing the instruction on the final transprot from when my engine blew



I was very happy how this version performed, extremely stiff for the weight of it. I'll be making up a few to serve as spares for the next event.

Cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014