Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #1981
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Time to share some pictures of my latest nav tower I ran at the recent Condo 750. This year I was on a 2011 530 EXC.

Fairing is the centre part of a 690RR, made from carbon & kevlar.

The tower is mounted to the head stem with an aluminium block 50mm wide, 4 x M8 bolts through holes in the stem backed up with 6mm steel plate inside with matching threaded plate. You can tell these photos are taken after the event, you can see the red dirt!

Two 3mm aluminium plates come off the stem mount.

The roadbook holder plate is mounted to a 50 x 20 mm RHS that's been attacked by a hole saw.

Roadbook still showing the instruction on the final transprot from when my engine blew

I was very happy how this version performed, extremely stiff for the weight of it. I'll be making up a few to serve as spares for the next event.

Cheers,
Michael
That looks great. But... Why didn't you make more of the tower from CF?
On that note I'll contact you regarding a roadbook backplate / IMO holder / fuse panel i was thinking of. What is the best way to contact you? Could you PM me your details?

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #1982
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
That looks great. But... Why didn't you make more of the tower from CF?
On that note I'll contact you regarding a roadbook backplate / IMO holder / fuse panel i was thinking of. What is the best way to contact you? Could you PM me your details?

cheers hg
Thanks!

I ran out of time to make more out of carbon basically, I was planning on making the backing plate, I even started a mould for it. Same for the fairing, I'll eventually be making sides for it so that it joins the tank.

I'll PM you now.

Cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #1983
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 75
Anyone used the new KTM hard parts rally/roadbook tower yet? Have an option to buy a 500 with one already on for a good price. I was planning on an HDB setup, but rallying's expensive enough as it is... trying to save a few pennies.

Like this:

A little ugly, and a super simple setup, but apparently quite easy to convert back to straight enduro mode. It's from the new KTM hard parts catalogue...
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #1984
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
The results of some destructive testing (ie, flip the bike on its head as I fly over the bars):

HDPE tower side plates held up perfectly (unlike the screen and alloy parts), big thumbs up for HDPE:
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #1985
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThePanda View Post
Anyone used the new KTM hard parts rally/roadbook tower yet? Have an option to buy a 500 with one already on for a good price. I was planning on an HDB setup, but rallying's expensive enough as it is... trying to save a few pennies.

Like this:

A little ugly, and a super simple setup, but apparently quite easy to convert back to straight enduro mode. It's from the new KTM hard parts catalogue...

That bike and pics look fuggin awesome
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #1986
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
The results of some destructive testing (ie, flip the bike on its head as I fly over the bars):

HDPE tower side plates held up perfectly (unlike the screen and alloy parts), big thumbs up for HDPE:
Would kevlar/carbon be a good combo for a road book tray? Alu seems quite old fashioned, with composites now within reach of the home builder. HDPE seems a no-brainer for tower sides.

My plan is to fab up a bash plate with water container out of kevlar/carbon.

I've bought above bike - will use the KTM tower - which came cheap - initially to get going with training (it's my first rally) and see about replacing it in time.
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #1987
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThePanda View Post
Would kevlar/carbon be a good combo for a road book tray? Alu seems quite old fashioned, with composites now within reach of the home builder. HDPE seems a no-brainer for tower sides.

My plan is to fab up a bash plate with water container out of kevlar/carbon.

I've bought above bike - will use the KTM tower - which came cheap - initially to get going with training (it's my first rally) and see about replacing it in time.
Have a look back a couple of pages (page 131, post #1956) at Armageddon's new road-book plates - I think that would be preferable to Carbon/Kevlar for the reasons he says (primarily price), but also that there is a danger that even with Kevlar reenforcement, that in an impact, they could crack/fracture along the defined fold lines you get on a road-book plate... Carbon fibre is better for smooth curves rather than sharp angles.

I also wonder about the effectiveness of a carbon bashplate vs. aluminium... I know a lot of the factory rally bikes use a carbon 'belly pan' these days, but on the whole those bikes are not bottoming out on big rocks (and/or their riders are talented enough to avoid such impacts) - for more enduro style terrain, I think/know alloy would resist impact damage better - I've seen a number of cracked carbon bashplates where riders have been unlucky.

Good choice on the bike in the photos - I'd say that would be a perfect rally lite bike with minimal further prep.

Depending on what Nav gear combo you go for, someone like Rally Raid Products already make a number of different plates to mount an MD or F2R road book and various ICO/RNS/IMO Cap repeater combos off the shelf - I'd go that that way to get you up and running, especially if you still need to buy the road book and tripmeter anyway?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #1988
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,561
My take on the whole bash plate/belly pan/tank protection comes down to its purpose and intended design. Price will play just as an important deciding factor as well
If the intention is the rock hop then alu will wear better than composites given its ability to withstand scratching/tearing but this comes at the penalty of weight and design. (Try forming a compound curve in alu!).
CF and other composite matrix are superior to achieve complex shapes and light weight production cost effectively. Typically the same shape composite part as alu will be lighter and for the top riders/teams this is all important. Note - CF is 7x more resistant to flex than steel per diameter. So for the same qty of carbon and steel carbon is the winner at that test. Impact resistance is another thing altogether!!
If we compare apples with apples the composite part can be produced lighter but that is only one aspect to be considered
Dimitri has shown that the ability for a part to flex is very important in nav gear -its ability to spring back into its original position after a stack. So in this sense D has analysed what properties these parts should possess and matched the most appropriate material that is cost effective to the task
CF by its very nature is rigid but once stressed beyond its failure point is unserviceable. Alu will also bend/sheer when forced to failure, weakened at the failure point
Applying the best material to the task is the best bet for a long serving part.

As an asside if $$ were no object the use of reinforced thermoplastics would render these other materials almost redundant with their abilities to withstand impact, abrasion and flex. It's the tooling and machinery that make it cost prohibitive
Old 05-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #1989
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Is there some reason you guys don't make skid plates from UHMW PE ? I made skid plates for our trials bikes a long time ago because the aluminum ones would hang up on rocks and the PE ones would slide over easily. I used 1/4" UHMW PE and a heat gun and torch to mold it to the contours. Strong, cheap, easy to work....worked great on trials bikes and later enduro bikes. Made one recently for a dual sport adv bike.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #1990
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 929

I had an aluminum one on my 690 but as stated did not like the rocks. So I put a cheap ikea cutting board on it and it made a word of difference. I would like one on my 500 because the frame is the strength just need to be formed to it. But up where I live it is hard to find a cutting board big enough lol. But when I do I will make one for it.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #1991
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 498
Hey guys,
not entirely sure where to ask this question, so I figured I'd just ask here,
seeing how much stuff you mount to your handlebars...

I currently have Magura EX bars mounted,but recently ran into a problem.
Space.

On the left hand side, everything fits, the clutch lever, the roadbook/tripmaster remote and the full size handlebar grip.

Now on the right hand side, I have the brake master cylinder, a Magura 312 and very compact handlebar controls (for turn signals, hi/lo beam, horn, engine start and ignition, 22mm wide) mounted.
However, I did have to cut the throttle tube and the handlebar grip by a little over 10 mm.

Yeah, not much, but it bugs me.

Long short story:
What handlebars are out there with a usable grip area larger than 190mm/7.5 inches, if any?
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #1992
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Hey guys,

Long short story:
What handlebars are out there with a usable grip area larger than 190mm/7.5 inches, if any?
FLEX Bars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #1993
TobyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
FLEX Bars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would love to install them....but sadly it is pretty much impossible to get them street legal here

Thank you for the suggestion, though
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #1994
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
I would love to install them....but sadly it is pretty much impossible to get them street legal here

Thank you for the suggestion, though

what do you mean STREET Legal?????
Where are you???????
just put them on and ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #1995
TobyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
what do you mean STREET Legal?????
Where are you???????
just put them on and ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish. Welcome to germany.
Lots of rules and paperwork involved if you want to change any parts,very few exceptions.

Basically there's 3 possibilities if you want to change a part, either
[1] it comes with a number stamped in that will allow you to mount it without any further inspection or
[2] it comes with papers that say it meets the set standards but you'll still have to have it inspected to make sure it has been mounted correctly or
[3] it doesn't come with any paperwork at all which usually requires a very thorough inspection of the part along with strength/material testing ($$$).

For handlebars [2] applies, now in some states the engineers have a bit more freedom and you may get lucky and they'll allow handlebars (or other parts) without any paperwork or extensive testing, but I am certain it would be very hard to find anyone who would let you pass with flex bars.
That leaves us with option [3], but this isn't gonna happen unless I find a pot of gold somewhere

Of course you can choose to ignore this,
but you'd better not get caught doing so or -a lot worse- get into an accident, then