Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #2026
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2wd View Post
yep,

and ZT rally, should be MT-rally
in Greece.. youre in Greece arent you Armageddon..?
Indeed I am.
I am afraid to tell you though, that if you are looking for new parts, the cheapest roadbook in the market and a cheap mounting bracket for it, could set you back by that amount. Even trip, cables, switches etc could empty 400 Euros from your pocket very easy.

List down what ''exactly'' you wanna do. What parts you want to have on the tower, if you want to future proof it etc. Switches, redundant systems, lights, toggles, etc. I don't know how much rally experience you have, but in my opinion, once you are in Morocco, and your pocket is empty because of the bike transfer, support, racing costs etc, you would swear to God that it would have been better to have spend a little extra to get that part that you need. Don't want to put you off, but going abroad for a rally can be expensive, and once you do it you want to make sure that you maximise the chances of finishing the race, than having a DNF because of a switch failure, a cable failure or whatever...

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 07:01 AM
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #2027
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Nothing wrong with your english!

when Im drunk its even better, probebly with aussie accent....

anyway,
I have some polyester-carbon connections up here, would prefer to make something like the JVO fairing, just enough to give protection, and strong.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #2028
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Nothing wrong with your english! D has it all covered. With a round head tube it would not be difficult or expensive i would think, to design a stem to either bolt or weld on. It would then be a matter of deciding what you wanted to do with the rest, full fairing? Which type? Rally lite setup? Which headlight/mini fairing? Im liking the hdpe setup that HDB has posted in this thread. I dont think it would be difficult to adapt Paul's tower to a fairing or use his lite setup. All depends on what you want.
On that note, I would try and adapt the HDB in the aprilia. Mainly because HDB at present has both ''rally lite'' and ''fixed'' setups. It is a matter of 4 bolts to swap one system to the other, so it may help you to have the bike in a ''lite'' setup during small rallies, and have the full package for faster, longer rallies like in Morocco for example.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #2029
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Indeed I am.
I am afraid to tell you though, that if you are looking for new parts, the cheapest roadbook in the market and a cheap mounting bracket for it, could set you up by that amount. Even on trip, cables, switches etc could empty 400 Euros from your pocket very easy.

List down what ''exactly'' you wanna do. What parts you want to have on the tower, if you want to future proof it etc. Switches, redundant systems, lights, toggles, etc. I don't know how much rally experience you have, but in my opinion, once you are in Morocco, and your pocket is empty because of the bike transfer, support, racing costs etc, you would swear to God that it would have been better to have spend a little extra to get that part that you need. Don't want to put you off, but going abroad for a rally can be expensive, and once you do it you want to make sure that you maximise the chances of finishing the race, than having a DNF because of a switch failure, a cable failure or whatever...

first about the morrocan-lybia rally,
its pretty afforable, so thats why its interesting,
been riding enduro's since my 18th, (Im what is now consddered old, by som people...)

but never participated in "rallies".. yet..

whish list:
roadbook,
ico, maybe 2,
nav, depending on costs, double headlight, led?
need an oilcooler,
switches, for fuel, and the rest..
missed anything?
steering stab?

edit,
kit needs to be reliable, rather spend a bit more than something found on fleebay with no record.. ..
2nd edit:
http://libya-rally.com/

patrick2wd screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 08:33 AM
patrick2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #2030
640 Armageddon
-oo-

So...

Roadbook, There are plenty of options there to cover your budget. Low price, medium and high priced equipment. Most off them are proven to be reliable and they are tested in the field. There is a lighting system for them, check if you will need that as well.

Roadbook mounting bracket There are tons of companies out there. There are standard designs, standard layouts or companies that will manufacture the layout you want. Usually top left corner is occupied by the tripmeter, top right can either be a spare tripmeter or a CAP repeater, bottom left (or bottom middle) a spare tripmeter (in case top right position is occupied with the CAP repeater) and finally you can have some space for buttons. There are all sorts of materials, CF, thermoplastics, Aluminium, HDPE and all you have to do is read over the past ... ehm... few pages to get a feeling about the materials.

ico. ICO is a brand. Much like we say ''Jeep'' everything that goes off road. Tripmeters is a more appropriate name for them, as there are a plenty around. RNS, ICO, Rally Dash and a couple of others I don't remember. Two is a wise decision,

EDIT: Tripmeter sensors and cables. Some of them come with the leads, some dont. So check that as well and check if you need mounting brackets for the pick up cables.

you missed the cap repeater, the one that shows the heading in degrees. I have no idea if it is necessary in Morocco, but ave it in mind if it is. RNS manufactures such a device.

nav, depending on costs, double headlight, led?
Page 125 of this thread shows this photo

In the photo you can see the frame bracket.
If a ''proper'' rally setup is needed you swap to this:

This specific tower can run both Baja Designs and ADVmonster led lights. There are other companies that manufacture towers as well. I cannot comment on them, I have not tested anything else except these and some KTM mounting brackets and handlebar brackets. Whatever you buy, it will need to either be modified or add some parts for fuse boxes to be located, spare parts to be carried out, gps antennae positions etc.

Handguards. You would need some sort of protection of the levers, switches etc.

Which brings us to the next.
Navigational equip. switches. ICO come with their own. Roadbooks come with their own. But there are multi switches which save handlebar space and combine one tripmeter with a toggle (or two buttons) for the roadbook. It all depends on what you wanna do, how easy you want your life to be when navigating etc. On the plus side, if anything happens with a single switch, you can change it, or buy a spare for medium/low cost. If you have a malfunction in a multiswitch, you have to throw it in your bag and repair it when home.

need an oilcooler. I really have no idea about that subject...

switches, for fuel, and the rest.. These depend on the tank geometry. If everything is gravity fed to the front, or if you need and additional fuel pump to pump it out from the rear tanks etc.

kit needs to be reliable, rather spend a bit more than something found on fleebay with no record.. ..

Reliability off course is an issue. ICO's were once the gold standard for Rally bikes until competition showed up. Same for the MD roadbooks. Until competition showed up, there was no alternative solution. Nowadays, you have so many companies to choose from, so do your research in each different part you wanna buy. May be you want to buy for example two medium priced switches instead of one very expensive. But you have to look at their reliability history. No good if both fail during the Rally . Navigational gear is the most important imo. There is no words to describe the feeling when nav gear is not working and you are alone in the middle of nowhere...

I hope I covered most of it, apologies if I did not, I am still drooling all over my keyboard (came back from the dentist and I cannot feel my lips... Even my shoulder feels numb ) .

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 09:52 AM
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #2031
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678

This is what I would recommend too.

I have Antipauls/HDBs Rally Light Kit and think of getting the HDPE fix tower solution too.
Pauls stuff is well made and the anodising is very good too.

The MT Rally stuff in comparison is thinner and the anodising is very 'bucket in the bathroom' kind of looking.
MT Rally had them on display at the Hellas. They will do the job no question but Pauls is better.
Same as MD Roadbook and Dimitri's Aurora Roadbook, both will do the job. but Aurora looks sexy

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #2032
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Thanks guys, and Armageddon for the elaborate explaining..

Ill take my time too see what will work for me,
also looking for a set of extra wheels, which might be handy,
anyway,

thanks for now, Illl keep reading this bracket thread, too see what might come up, meanwhile, Im still open for interesting suggestions and ideas!

Blueprint os a an aluminium tower would be helpfull too..

patrick2wd screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 02:54 AM
Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 AM   #2033
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Patrick, this is a shot of ours without roadbook, plate or trips etc

It pretty much depends on what you're looking for in terms of solution and what you're most comfortable with. Pictured is the tree which bolts to the headstock with an ally front block and a drilled and tapped steel rear plate which sits inside the headstock (with enough clearance for stem and bearing). Lazer LED light (around a 600 metre range, stunning performance), fairing brackets to suit Dottori fairing with 19 litre front tank (this is on an MY13 500 EXC).

We're in the UK so supply and shipping isn't an issue. We have everything in stock. Shout if you want to know more. We usually supply F2R RB750 Roadbooks and can also do any other brackets you might need.

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #2034
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

@ Mike,

PM send
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #2035
ZORBA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
@mike... Do you have a bolt on headstock assembly for the suzuki drz 400?
ZORBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #2036
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Zorba, the tree will fit no problem, I'd have to look at the headstock of one to see if the normal block and backing plate will fit correctly or if it'd need a different one maching. I suspect that the head tube diameter will be slightly different.

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #2037
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

does anybody has an idea where these (fairing frame/ nav tower) came from:

is from the aussie build somewhere on this forum,
tried contacting the guy from this thread, buy no reply, yet..

patrick2wd screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 07:12 AM
Old 06-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #2038
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Knuiman kit imho.

Behego.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #2039
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Here is mine so far... on a 2014 KTM 690 Enduro.

I just installed the Highway Dirtbikes Rallye Lite fairing with a prototype computer mount for late model 690's! Big thanks to Paul at HDB, kit is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

More pics and details at http://therosshallproject.blogspot.com/

EPMD
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #2040
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,161
2012 Christini 450 Rally Lite

The Christini uses the KTM kit with only one minor bracket change. Paul was great to work with in getting the kit fitted for the Christini and I was truly impressed with the quality of the parts!

Thanks Paul!

Planned work remaining:
1. I need to redesign my head pipe
2. I have a larger front tank than I need to modify to work on the Christini.
3. Power outlet so that I can run my helmet light or heated gear
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote