ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #2041
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,738
That looks 2 clean ;) Go out and ride !
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #2042
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aquatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Buddina, Sunny Coast, Australia
Oddometer: 1,417
Hey! You stole that bike......

out of my dreams!

Seriously, if I had some play money, what you have there is what I would buy and build.

VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
The Christini uses the KTM kit with only one minor bracket change. Paul was great to work with in getting the kit fitted for the Christini and I was truly impressed with the quality of the parts!

Thanks Paul!

















Planned work remaining:
1. I need to redesign my head pipe
2. I have a larger front tank than I need to modify to work on the Christini.
3. Power outlet so that I can run my helmet light or heated gear
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #2043
guymanbro
da Vermonster
 
guymanbro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Suburb of Podunk
Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
That is looking sweet!! I was contemplating trying to build a Christini Rally bike, but when I contacted them, they didn't seem very, um, enthusiastic about their bike in a rally format. I wasn't sure if they had concerns about the longevity of their system or what. Maybe they knew someone else was already way ahead of me.
__________________
da Vermonster
http://www.kirstyrock.com

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #2044
HalfFastMoto
bRad
 
HalfFastMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Bothell, WA
Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
That is looking sweet!! I was contemplating trying to build a Christini Rally bike, but when I contacted them, they didn't seem very, um, enthusiastic about their bike in a rally format. I wasn't sure if they had concerns about the longevity of their system or what. Maybe they knew someone else was already way ahead of me.
I doubt that it's due to any confidence in their product. It's incredibly robust.

More likely they shied away from potential bad publicity from what they perceive to be a niche market. Kinda like KTM and the Ride Around the World decision that gave BMW such a huge Adventure market share.
__________________
-bRad
08 KTM 990 Adv S
08 Honda CRF450X-SM
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #2045
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,845
I talked to them 5 years ago about building a Rally bike.
they said NO thank you.
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #2046
HalfFastMoto
bRad
 
HalfFastMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Bothell, WA
Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I talked to them 5 years ago about building a Rally bike.
they said NO thank you.
Since then they've produced a Duel Sport and a Super Moto version of their bike. Can't blame them for wanting to control their exposure.
__________________
-bRad
08 KTM 990 Adv S
08 Honda CRF450X-SM
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #2047
nry
.
 
nry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 1,293
Finally !

I moved a bit closer to getting my bike (CRF450X) ready for this Septembers Australasian Safari today.

With the help of Gany we created this.

Designed to have the HDB tower bolted onto it.

Two versions, believe it or not from the same drawing one was created by my mate who always adds his own touch.



The jar of what ever it is, is the difference in weight 75g.



As soon as I got the blocks side by side I took it to my welder...who has disappeared So I drove past the local bike shop and asked them to recommend someone - Themselves.

I decided to use the larger of the two as I would rather have the extra distance from the headstock so I don't have any issues with my steering lock. I might weld the "shorter" one onto the "test mule" CRF, unless someone is desperate for one like I was.

I'm very happy with their work as I was fearing picking up the bike and finding the worst welds ever





The slotted hole in the middle was to aid in locating the block for welding. I hacksawed and filed the OEM damper lug off and it leaves about 4mm of thread left to fix into (7mm). Pretty easy job to do.










I'm also very happy with the HDB tower. It bolted together in a few minutes and all the dimensions we were given were spot on.


So Gany, HDB and my new best mate in China......Take a Bow
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #2048
geoz
Orange rules
 
geoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 223
Cool stuff mate, this starts to look like a real bike! I am planning on mounting up mine on the weekend, in combination with the 'old' SXS triples. So it will be the mountain bike this weekend, Manly Dam Sat arvo if you are interested. ;)
__________________
cheers

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #2049
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,574
Are you using anything to stabilise the lights? (A second mount or pivot)
__________________
Pete
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #2050
nry
.
 
nry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Are you using anything to stabilise the lights? (A second mount or pivot)
No, they only have the one mounting point. What the HDB tower comes with for the Lights are these cool curved washers with a rubber inner, they grip the lights really well and I'm thinking they will do the job. I still have to create the faring which will go on the Safari 21l tank so I could use that to restrict any possible movement / tilt.

Apparently I've got the lights fitted upside down anyway I blame excitement and the fact that baja designs is written on the "top"

Paul if your reading this, what do I torque the tower bolts to ?

Cheers Neil.
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 AM   #2051
nry
.
 
nry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
Cool stuff mate, this starts to look like a real bike! I am planning on mounting up mine on the weekend, in combination with the 'old' SXS triples. So it will be the mountain bike this weekend, Manly Dam Sat arvo if you are interested. ;)
Na mate, I'm sick and also on call so I'm taking the boy MX'ing and staying in the garage getting some building done.
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #2052
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,574
Nice. I had my D2 mounted the same way but drilled through the cooling find to mount a strut arm on a tube nut. Works well to keep it stable over the corrugations
__________________
Pete
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #2053
nry
.
 
nry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Nice. I had my D2 mounted the same way but drilled through the cooling find to mount a strut arm on a tube nut. Works well to keep it stable over the corrugations
I'll bear that in mind Pete, there are a couple of other bits and pieces that came with it that I could use to good effect. Thanks for that.
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #2054
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Au
Oddometer: 310
Loving it Neil! Not sure who is having more fun, you or me! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #2055
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
I moved a bit closer to getting my bike (CRF450X) ready for this Septembers Australasian Safari today.



With the help of Gany we created this.



Designed to have the HDB tower bolted onto it.



Two versions, believe it or not from the same drawing one was created by my mate who always adds his own touch.







The jar of what ever it is, is the difference in weight 75g.







As soon as I got the blocks side by side I took it to my welder...who has disappeared So I drove past the local bike shop and asked them to recommend someone - Themselves.



I decided to use the larger of the two as I would rather have the extra distance from the headstock so I don't have any issues with my steering lock. I might weld the "shorter" one onto the "test mule" CRF, unless someone is desperate for one like I was.



I'm very happy with their work as I was fearing picking up the bike and finding the worst welds ever











The slotted hole in the middle was to aid in locating the block for welding. I hacksawed and filed the OEM damper lug off and it leaves about 4mm of thread left to fix into (7mm). Pretty easy job to do.





















I'm also very happy with the HDB tower. It bolted together in a few minutes and all the dimensions we were given were spot on.





So Gany, HDB and my new best mate in China......Take a Bow

Do the hdpe brackets move around much?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014