Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #196
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Aaron,

If all you need is the roadbook and an ICO then I think the RMS sytem will work fine. I used it during a three day draining last year and had no problems, didn't really notice the weight on the bars at all. I also think this system is probably a little more crash worthy as it can rotate. For Dakar there is so much more needed to be mounted that a fix mount on the steering stem makes sense. I'd keep it as simple as possible.
Thanks Bill! I figured you guys had a lot more gear to haul on the Dakar, makes total sense.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #197
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
for smaller rallyes (I know I will never do the Dakar) I use a similar set-up:

KTM navi tower (carefull they crack - I have added extra welds to mine)
2 IMO 10050R instruments (I used to run 1 Vector for speed & 1 IMO for distance)
carefull routing of cables

that's it. The setup is not as high as the dedicated Dakar towers, but
on the plus side I barely notice the weight on the handle bars.

similar setup up with one IMO on the XR on the left as well, old picture with the Vector:

The other tried & tested option is mounting onto the handle bars like so:

Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #198
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,086
my setup....early fitment stage...I later machined an aluminum dogbone to replace the cross bar and I mounted the combo switch on the dogbone. Paul at HDB helped me out with the adaptors that bolt to his existing top clamp setup. The system proved to be simple, easy to work on and around, and I hardly noticed the weight effect on the bars.

The ICO, F2R, bracket, and bar clamps all came from Charlie at RMS.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #199
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Sorry to pick on you, but you seemed to contradicted yourself a bit with the whole hog rally nav tower that you used for Dakar. Could you have done just as well with everything bolted to the H-bars? Maybe you realized that having everything off the bars was a better idea? Thanks for your time.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Sorry!

The point is doing whatever it takes to get out and try a roadbook, to give it a try, to have the experience. If that's two broom handles and a rubbermaid container and making a trip, or putting on something more sophisticated and staying home, I say take the trip every time.

The Dakar wasn't my first rodeo. I think getting the weight off the handlebars is preferable, I think the rallymotokit setup is awesome, but my point is that the equipment is secondary to the experience. It's not contradictory to have better equipment, but I feel like I often see people building stuff more, and using it less. I was offering the opinion that the reverse is more ideal- build less, ride more.

If you can do both, so much the better. Most of us can't, and I would argue the "whole hog" I took to Dakar was at least a ham or two (well, a horse or 15 more like) shy of some of the other equipment there... keeping true to the build less, ride more mantra.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.

neduro screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 08:38 AM
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #200
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Thanks Ned, as usual you have a good way of explaining things, unlike me
So far, I like the Rally Raid UK mount. Simple, very simple!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #201
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
This one?

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...ad_Book_Holder

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #202
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
No, this one.....

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...dbook%20-mount

The one you linked is good but I'll need to change my headlight
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #203
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Sorry!

The point is doing whatever it takes to get out and try a roadbook, to give it a try, to have the experience. If that's two broom handles and a rubbermaid container and making a trip, or putting on something more sophisticated and staying home, I say take the trip every time.

The Dakar wasn't my first rodeo. I think getting the weight off the handlebars is preferable, I think the rallymotokit setup is awesome, but my point is that the equipment is secondary to the experience. It's not contradictory to have better equipment, but I feel like I often see people building stuff more, and using it less. I was offering the opinion that the reverse is more ideal- build less, ride more.

If you can do both, so much the better. Most of us can't, and I would argue the "whole hog" I took to Dakar was at least a ham or two (well, a horse or 15 more like) shy of some of the other equipment there... keeping true to the build less, ride more mantra.
pretty much sums it up, great post!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #204
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,773
Finally made some more progress on my build. I had a quick version hacked up a while back which I raced the Sandblast rally with. No need for nav gear for that race, just an enduro route sheet holder, but made a good shakedown of the idea. Since I was designing as I built what I ended up there didn't really work well for mounting the rodbook so I decided to start over. Going to be racing the Mexican 1000 in just under 2 months so I need to get everything together soon.

Here is what I have so far:

More pics and info on my blog in this post: http://dakardream.net/blog/?p=508
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #205
drc42
Rally Dreamer

1/4 turn fasteners

Slightly off topic but since a lot of the followers of this thread build stuff someone might know. I would like to use some 1/4 turn fasteners like what typically holds on an airbox cover to fasten my faring. Anybody know where I can buy a box of these? The closest I have found is dzus fasteners which would work but are not exactly what I want.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #206
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,218
they are called Dzus fittings but I have heard of others looking to use heavy duty velcro to attach the faring.. perhaps it was Ned Or C Vestal

quick question.. do you have radiator braces or does your tanks envelop them?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #207
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Fitings

http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/

http://www.southco.com/browse/quick-access-fasteners-7337.html

Lots of quick access (i.e. 1/4 turn) fasteners there.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #208
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Thanks for the links. I had always thought of dzus fasteners as the ones that needed a screwdriver to turn them, I see the ones with the little handle on them are called dzus as well. That southco site looks like it has a lot of good detail. I now see what I really want is the "bail handle dzus fastener".

With stuff like this I tend to usually know what I want, just don't know what to call it or where to get it. Google is no help if you don't know what it is called!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #209
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
I used a bunch of the "D-Ring" version on my rig. I like them a lot. A long time ago I got them here:
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=104

The D-ring handle does not flop around while riding.

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #210
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Doesn't Delrin crack when bent too far? I made some parts with it and found it slightly brittle. HDPE is impossible to crack.
I just spoke to a supplier here in Melbourne and his statements back this up. One problem he did mention is that HDPE (even 10mm thick) softens in direct sunlight. Also to give it some UV resistance it would need to be made black (something to do with molecules) which would add to the problem. He said that a sheet of HPDE laid down in direct sun would soften noticably over a day, although he wasn't sure of the memory characteristics of the material.

I am going to attempt to take some of the DXF files I have and some pics of what I am doing to show them and then hopefully thay may be able to find a good solution from the products they stock (which are many). They do machining with tolerances close enough to what I want so maybe I'll have a design in the next few weeks.

My nav tower is getting pretty close to finished (as in holes for parts/bolts etc) and I now know the holes that aren't required.