Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #331
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
I'm trying to find a good source for waterproof electrical connectors. I saw Hogwild's post about they screw type connectors, but I'm looking for the waterproof push type. I know there are supply houses, but I don't know the terms and was hoping someone had done the research already. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can source the power plugs on the F2R? I found a Chinese importer that has them, but I need to buy them in QTYs of 500! The same connector that is pictured on RMS site on the F2R

2) I'd like to buy a kit of parts for 2, 3 and 4 pin connectors like these listed on Amazon. I'm sure there is a supplier that has them in small qty cheaper than buying them one at a time on Amazon or some auto supply shop. Where do people buy these? I'd like about 30 connectors or so.

I bought of those some a while back from summit racing. Search for "weatherpack" on summitracing.com

Someone recently pointed me to this site which looks promising for stuff like this: http://www.easternbeaver.com/

When I heard the name I was concerned about clicking on it at work don't worry, not that kind of beaver.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #332
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
I'm trying to find a good source for waterproof electrical connectors. I saw Hogwild's post about they screw type connectors, but I'm looking for the waterproof push type. I know there are supply houses, but I don't know the terms and was hoping someone had done the research already. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can source the power plugs on the F2R? I found a Chinese importer that has them, but I need to buy them in QTYs of 500! The same connector that is pictured on RMS site on the F2R

2) I'd like to buy a kit of parts for 2, 3 and 4 pin connectors like these listed on Amazon. I'm sure there is a supplier that has them in small qty cheaper than buying them one at a time on Amazon or some auto supply shop. Where do people buy these? I'd like about 30 connectors or so.

I don't know if this will help, but I have dealt with digikey.com a bit in the past. Their live-chat peeps are usualy able to help me find what I need, despite my electrical ignorance.
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #333
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,366
Quote:
I'm trying to find a good source for waterproof electrical connectors....
Look at the JST JWPF connectors discussed about ten posts up. The same connectors KTM uses on their tripmaster computer. Much more compact than the delphi weatherpack connectors, even rated for underwater use.

The weatherpack's are nice if you need a disconnect on a high-current device like a headlight as they are rated at 20A.

The tiny JST connectors are only 3A, but that is more than enough and for hooking up nav/rally electronics and switches, and the compact size is much nicer to try and stuff into a rally bike.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #334
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
Hey Phil, these are the ones I use, they are OEM for Hondas and I replaced all the cheap ones on my KTM with them.

http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.ph...category_id=54

The guys there are awesome to deal with, it's in the US and they ship quick. They're a bit more then the Amazon ones, but they're smaller and I think they're cleaner.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #335
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,219
Connectors

Connectors are known by many names.. some are waterproof some arent, GM connector, Molex, etc. Here http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/auto...connectors.htm is a page about the connectors and pins with links to company's selling them. You have to watch out because most use a pin tool like this

to pop the pins in and out.

Digikey.com and http://www.theelectricaldepot.com/ are a couple other supply companies.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #336
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Got the RMS rack today.

Here is a side view. I decided to not drill holes in the top and just mount the F2R to the center mounting points. The ICO may vibrate a bit but I can live with that for now.

I also broke out the soldering iron today and wired up the un-switched harness I got from beavercreek a few weeks ago for the ICO and the RB power source. I can just unplug the whole rig if the bat starts to drain on me.

So now I have power for the VR light and RB. Productive day. I guess now all I have to do is pack and wait for launch day.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #337
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Looking good, what fuel tank have you got?

Minimum range for the rally is 150kms, and I think I spotted the stock tank in your pic....
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #338
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Looking good, what fuel tank have you got?

Minimum range for the rally is 150kms, and I think I spotted the stock tank in your pic....
I will have the Exxon tanker on the bike :)
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #339
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:

http://www.digikey.com/PTM/PTMPartLi...g=en&ptm=11101

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #340
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Here is a side view. I decided to not drill holes in the top and just mount the F2R to the center mounting points. The ICO may vibrate a bit but I can live

I also broke out the soldering iron today and wired up the un-switched harness I got from beavercreek a few weeks ago for the ICO and the RB power source. I can just unplug the whole rig if the bat starts to drain on me.

So now I have power for the VR light and RB. Productive day. I guess now all I have to do is pack and wait for launch day.

Just thought i would point out that your F2R is mounted to charlie's bracket incorrectly. the F2R should be mounted to the brack via the holes in the side of the roadbook...you will need to drill 2 holes in the top mating surface. Unless something has changed recently.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #341
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Was finally able to mount up the nav gear to my Super Enduro

Was able to thrash the hell out of the set up last Sunday at a riding park in PA. Two foot water bars, rocky hill climbs and a double and table top on the MX track I even threw it on the ground in greasy trail section with zero damage. Big thanks to Paul for making the bracket! looking forward to the MX1000 with it!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #342
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Roger that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Just thought i would point out that your F2R is mounted to charlie's bracket incorrectly. the F2R should be mounted to the brack via the holes in the side of the roadbook...you will need to drill 2 holes in the top mating surface. Unless something has changed recently.
Thanks, I did it this way for ease of mount and not having the time or motivation to drill holes. The ICO may vibrate a bit but I can live with that as I don't plan on hauling like a wild man just using my first rally to learn.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #343
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Thanks, I did it this way for ease of mount and not having the time or motivation to drill holes. The ICO may vibrate a bit but I can live with that as I don't plan on hauling like a wild man just using my first rally to learn.
with it mounted like it is the bracket is more likely to break. I believe charlie and crew intended the roadbook to act as a strength member with the bracket. it doesnt take long to mount the correct way and it is rock solid when done so. you might be surprised by the amount of vibration even when riding slower....and the damage that the vibration can do even in one stages.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #344
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

ok

Quote:
with it mounted like it is the bracket is more likely to break. I believe charlie and crew intended the roadbook to act as a strength member with the bracket. it doesnt take long to mount the correct way and it is rock solid when done so. you might be surprised by the amount of vibration even when riding slower....and the damage that the vibration can do even in one stages.
Damn now Im second guessing myself, ok back into the garage and follow the instructions to the T
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #345
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
and the damage that the vibration can do even in one stage.
spot on.